Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Finny Facts of the Day

I don't know if anyone has noticed or not but the DEC has been trimming one or both of the pectoral fins from brook trout stock in certain ponds. The idea is to prevent the trout from having good balance in running water, thus providing incentive for the trout to stay in the pond they were stocked instead of emmigrating down the outlet and never coming back. Pond emmigration is a significant source of sexually mature trout loss in ponds that lack suitable spawning areas. They go down the outlet to spawn and either can't get back due to barriers or are eaten by predators. I've seen this in a couple of stocked ponds I fish this year but not in others.

The DEC also clips the fins of Landlocked salmon in the fulton chain. 4th lake fish are adipose clipped (the small fin on top of the fish right before the tail), 7th lake is Left ventral and 8th lake is right ventral (ventrals are the furthest back toward the tail - bottom fins). They were doing this to check the migratory patterns between these lakes. I've caught some unclipped fish from those lakes, maybe they were wild?!
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:34 AM   #2
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

I've noticed that too. Figure this one out. The clip the fins on all the Browns they stock in the Kayaderosserus Creek. The only thing with this is, about the only body of water that the creek flows into is Saratoga Lake, which has no trout population what so ever do to its worm water and large populations of Bass, Northern Pick, and Chain Pickerel.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote