Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2004, 03:03 PM   #21
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Thanks

Thanks again. So Icicles are small artificials? Another question, do you use live or dead smelt, and are there smelt in Brant Lake? I live in the Eastern Region. Champlain in Port Henry is full of smelt in the winter and I know people get occasional lakers. I don't know if anyone actually fishes specifically for lakers or not. Let me know.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:57 PM   #22
wildbrookies

First,to Creekwader,if you turn onto rt.30 from Indian Lake ,about two miles down you`ll see a side road on the right handside.There`ll be a sort clearing on the left(lakeside)This is owned by Squaw Brook Game club,They would like you to ask for permission to cross the field that slopes down to the lake.But, alot of ski-doers zip through it also.I`m not too familiar about the Indian Lake dam area.I`snt that body of water called Lake Abanaki(even though it is part of Indian Lake)?I see perch fishermen there by the bridge.We target Browns,Salmon and Lakers.Anything else I can help you with let me know.

Gray Ghost, Icicles are live bait and almost every bait shop carries them.They are a rather thin long bait that closely resembles Smelt. We don`t use live or dead smelt.Some lakes don`t allow live smelt used for bait.I`m not sure about using dead smelt.We do very well with the icicles.Trout seem to think they are smelt or something similar.I don`t think there are smelt in Brant Lake.Also,I went to Port Henry for just the smelting and sat in a shanty and jigged up smelt by the dozen.It was a good time and occassionally your hook a laker and usingl ight line we always broke them off.Well,talk to you later.
Wildbrookies
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:18 AM   #23
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Thanks

Thanks again. So do you use icicles in Brant and other lakes that do not hold smelt and still have success? I use dead smelt for lakers in early spring on Champlain. My uncle even caught an eleven pounder. I don't see why this wouldn't work during the winter, too. Anyway, I bet the icicles would work well on the lake because of the large smelt population.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #24
wildbrookies

Icicle bait

Yes, We (my brother and I) use icicles exclusively for all our ice-fishing trips.We both are not very good at jigging up trout.We are tip-up guys.We do set up two jigging rods a piece rigged like our tip-ups(a small split shot and a small treble hook baited with a medium sized icicle hooked just ahead of the dorsal fin in the meat of the icicles back.They swim freely and are consumed head first by most trout species and the hook goes undetected).We then attach a small bobber so we can see if we have a hit and keep our drags completely off.Brant has great fishing first ice as do most lakes.As soon as there is a good solid 6" or so get out there.You will get alot of hits.As the season goes on and the ice thickens the action slows.There still are good days out there but not as often as early ice.

Also, we have used dead smelt laying on the bottom in a few earlier trips 14 yrs ago and caught a pair of 18" splakes out of South Pond(near Blue Mtn .Lake) But,like I said we don`t live near any tackle shops that sell them.I wonder if store boughten dead smelt would work(like at PriceChopper)They are cleaned so I would think you would have to weight them down to get them to the bottom.Might be worth a try.But,where you live,there should be bait shops with smelt alive or dead for sale.Just be careful.Like I said,read your fishing regulations and watch out for the lakes that say no live smelt for bait can be used.I know Lake George,you definitely cannot use smelt of any kind.

One more thing,alot of fellow ice-fishermen out there probably want to know why we use a 8 foot leader attached to the tip-up line.We have found that we get alot more flags this way.Ice line is very thick and must look like a piece of rope hanging down under the ice.We have learned that the trout/salmon species amongst all other fish are extremely line shy.Anything that looks out of the ordinary , they`re gone.You just have to be very careful when playing a trout/salmon on a long leader.As it comes to the hole you will get alot of rubbing on the edge of the icehole.Thats why we number our tip-ups and remember which tip-ups we fought fish on and upon returning home we quickly replace the leader with a new one.Alot of fraying will occur.Just some innovative methods we have come up with through the years.If I can help you with anything else just holler.

Tightlines,wildbrookies
Old 11-11-2004, 09:59 AM   #25
Creekwader
Snag Locator

[QUOTE=wildbrookies]First,to Creekwader,if you turn onto rt.30 from Indian Lake ,about two miles down you`ll see a side road on the right handside.There`ll be a sort clearing on the left(lakeside)This is owned by Squaw Brook Game club,They would like you to ask for permission to cross the field that slopes down to the lake.But, alot of ski-doers zip through it also.I`m not too familiar about the Indian Lake dam area.I`snt that body of water called Lake Abanaki(even though it is part of Indian Lake)?I see perch fishermen there by the bridge.We target Browns,Salmon and Lakers.Anything else I can help you with let me know.

Thanks, I knew there had to be a spot up near that area. Do you call ahead or ask for permission when you get there? That Squaw brook area looks like the ****, I'd like to hit that right now. I bet the salmon and browns are stacked up in there good. Regarding the dams, Indian and Abanakee are separate dams.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:15 PM   #26
wildbrookies

Creekwader, Indian Lake does`nt have the salmon population it once had.You can still pick up a few every now and then.But,mostly we hook and release alot of lakers ,some in the 23-25" range.Browns are around 12-16".

As for the parking.Look for that side road on the right directly across from the land that is posted and owned by Squaw Creek Club(I can`t remember the name of the street).If you can pull off on the shoulder on that side road,the parking would be no problem.They don`t seem to mind you accessing the lake via the sloping open lot.If you do see anybody around(there is a Squaw Brook building on the side road)be sure to ask no matter what.We usually don`t see anyone there.The camp looks closed for the winter.They`re probably more worried about people running through there during the summer months with boats and canoes.I`ve seen multiple ski-doers crossing that land than fishermen.Just remember to treat the land as you do any land in the ADK`s.Inwhich I know you guys are very responsible woodsmen.Maybe ,I`ll run into you up there this winter.We like to hit that lake right after first ice.
Tightlines,wildbrookies
Old 11-12-2004, 09:26 AM   #27
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Icicles

I've never seen icicles in the two local bait shops in my area...I'm sure they could order them, though. Is there a place near Brant Lake that sells them? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:25 PM   #28
wildbrookies

icicle bait

The bait shops may not have them in stock as of yet.Some bait shops are slow in getting them in even after ice has formed.I can`t think of any bait shops in or around Brant Lake,maybe some other guys on the board can help us out.I head north and stop in Lake George for my bait.Theres a bait shop at the south end of Lake George(the old Ellsworth bait shop)Then theres a newer place right down the hill just before the village near the Tiki(actually right across the road from the Tiki).Then theres Gary Nelson`s place up near Diamond Point called the Outdoorsman shop.Hes got excellent bait and full of information of where the fish are bitibg.Nice guy too.Well,hope trhis helped.Talk later,Wildbrookies.