Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #61
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
Crockit , Blues , and Geog , Great pics alll
re hauling stuff , I used one of these from cabelas 2 years ago and bought on for me , a little narrower to fit down the logging roads as we have no fire roads ..

They guy on the right kicked the old guy off the cart and made the mile + back to camp solo in a little over an hour.

Blues , Love the new pics

Geog , You had great weather this fall for hunting / camping this year. Did you make it till the last week of season when we finally had some tracking snow ??

And yes I'm a wuss , I prefer my soft matress , big wood stove , gas lights / oven and stove , running water is a hand pump on the porch , and a solid roof over my head
If next fall is anything like this fall was though , I would like to spend a few days waking up that mile or two from camp and being able to hunt from there
I traditionally go in the first week of rifle but was delayed this year due to an UFC fight that I couldn't miss. I stayed in 6 nights and had an awesome time albeit I didn't see a single deer. That is my wilderness hunt that I love. After that I hunt down south for meat. My daughter is on an anti factory farm raised meat kick which I love, " Honey, I need to go hunting, you wouldn't want your daughter to go hungry" Smiles! It's all a game, sometimes you bite the bear and most times it bites you. But the yang makes the yin so much sweeter.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #62
trekker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crokit View Post
The structure is basically a yurt. I got the idea back in the late '70s when I saw a classified ad for " starplates " in mother earth news and an article in National Geographic on nomads. 11 of them to a set. Each is stamped aluminum with 5 inch and a 1/2 arms, like a star fish. Each arm has a small hole near the end. That set up in the pic with the bear, I used 25 broom handles 50" long, each drilled 1/4 inch hole in each end of them, about an inch and a half from the ends. Used fifty 2" threaded bolts with wing nuts, and connected the ends of the poles to the starplates.

Picture the dome shaped monkey bars you often see on a playground or schoolyard. Same exact principle. Seeing that, you'll get a good idea of the plates and poles that I used. The cover was a 23' diameter pool cover. Just put it over the skeleton, tuck it under the bottom poles along the ground, cut a hole for the stove jack and entry. That was the first one I built. Learned fast that having just one tarp as cover, however, created somewhat of a condensation issue. The mailbox set up for stove literally raised the temp to a least 90* in there, if you wanted, and there were a coouple of evenings you'd want to. What was neat though was when the outside temp was single digit, I'd be sitting in there literally in my skivey's. Woke up several mornings with ice crystals completely covering the inside roof.

That year was one of my most memorable hunts.. My first solo hunt. Lasted 17 days. Got the bear and that 8 pt. one day after the other on East Pond Mountain.
Thanks for the explanation. 17 days, solo, in the deep woods. Priceless.
trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #63
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crokit View Post
The structure is basically a yurt. I got the idea back in the late '70s when I saw a classified ad for " starplates " in mother earth news and an article in National Geographic on nomads. 11 of them to a set. Each is stamped aluminum with 5 inch and a 1/2 arms, like a star fish. Each arm has a small hole near the end. That set up in the pic with the bear, I used 25 broom handles 50" long, each drilled 1/4 inch hole in each end of them, about an inch and a half from the ends. Used fifty 2" threaded bolts with wing nuts, and connected the ends of the poles to the starplates.

Picture the dome shaped monkey bars you often see on a playground or schoolyard. Same exact principle. Seeing that, you'll get a good idea of the plates and poles that I used. The cover was a 23' diameter pool cover. Just put it over the skeleton, tuck it under the bottom poles along the ground, cut a hole for the stove jack and entry. That was the first one I built. Learned fast that having just one tarp as cover, however, created somewhat of a condensation issue. The mailbox set up for stove literally raised the temp to a least 90* in there, if you wanted, and there were a coouple of evenings you'd want to. What was neat though was when the outside temp was single digit, I'd be sitting in there literally in my skivey's. Woke up several mornings with ice crystals completely covering the inside roof.

That year was one of my most memorable hunts.. My first solo hunt. Lasted 17 days. Got the bear and that 8 pt. one day after the other on East Pond Mountain.
Crokit,That is some neat chit!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #64
thebluesman5748

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Bluesman, Nice set-up! That looks like my coffee pot complete with missing glass cover knob. How do you get all that stuff back there? How long do you stay in?
I spent a total of 27 days in the backcountry this year, coming out twice for supplies, and to say "hello" to the wife. (What a woman)

Most of the gear is stashed in large plastic containers year around. Beware, porcupines just love aluminum....

Meet Max, my new mascot and faithful companion.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3631.jpg (127.5 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg scan004002.jpg (136.7 KB, 264 views)
thebluesman5748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #65
thebluesman5748

Deer camp

Well, I think we beat this thread up pretty good folks. But since we're talking hunting camps and wilderness hunting, I couldn't resist posting this video one more time. This is for all of you...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02L4LlnJRNQ
Old 01-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #66

Quote:
I traditionally go in the first week of rifle but was delayed this year due to an UFC fight that I couldn't miss. I stayed in 6 nights and had an awesome time albeit I didn't see a single deer. That is my wilderness hunt that I love. After that I hunt down south for meat. My daughter is on an anti factory farm raised meat kick which I love, " Honey, I need to go hunting, you wouldn't want your daughter to go hungry" Smiles! It's all a game, sometimes you bite the bear and most times it bites you. But the yang makes the yin so much sweeter.
The cherry trees had an awesome mast this fall in that area , surprised you didn't get a chance at a nice free range bear for your freezer. Maybe those cherry stands were closer to twin lakes stream , I don't hunt there so just going by what I heard from others.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #67

Bluesman , ty for the vid

And we only have 8 months and a few days before hunting season starts up again

Edit to add : Great looking dog too ! Good idea with the flag tape just in case .
Looks at least mostly like a Newfie ??

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #68
FTHR&DAGHTR

Bluesman, This is a promo. Have you any idea when the whole video will be available? One of the interviews is by a hunter in my camp.

....... with the good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.......
FTHR&DAGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #69
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluesman5748 View Post
I spent a total of 27 days in the backcountry this year, coming out twice for supplies, and to say "hello" to the wife. (What a woman)

Most of the gear is stashed in large plastic containers year around. Beware, porcupines just love aluminum....

Meet Max, my new mascot and faithful companion.....
27 days????? Consider me green with envy.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #70
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
The cherry trees had an awesome mast this fall in that area , surprised you didn't get a chance at a nice free range bear for your freezer. Maybe those cherry stands were closer to twin lakes stream , I don't hunt there so just going by what I heard from others.
There definitely was a bumper crop of cherries this year. Saw plenty of bear sign, didn't see a beer. I was in an exploratory mood this year and did a lot of walking which eliminated any stealth. When I'm out there I am more a camper with a rifle than a hunter with a camp. I did get lucky last year up North whilst at a friends camp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1108080843.jpg (90.8 KB, 252 views)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #71
fisher39

Quote:
I did get lucky last year up North whilst at a friends camp.
I guess so! That'd qualify as a top five lifetime buck for most Adirondack hunters.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #72
Crokit
crokit

Geo: Great buck!

Bluesman: Thanks for sharing the vid.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #73
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluesman5748 View Post

Most of the gear is stashed in large plastic containers year around. Beware, porcupines just love aluminum.....
Dare I question this, or did I miss that it was not on State land...
I , more than most, appreciate the "old" ways, but times have changed..
yesterdays metal stoves and 55 gal. barrels have given way to plastic totes...
I have come across too many abandoned "outlaw camps" over the years, at least the metal will eventually rust to nothing...

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #74
trekker

27 days in the backwoods. That is awesome.
trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #75
40dog

as soon as season is over my hunting partner and i start talking of area and strategy for next year . its so amazing the call of the woods and how it whispers in the ear . what a sweet sound. my wife and i were talking about the first kyak trip for this year wich doubles as a couple day shed / cast antler hunting trip for me cant wait only 100 days away
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #76
Crokit
crokit

[QUOTE=40dog;161463....... its so amazing the call of the woods and how it whispers in the ear . what a sweet sound. [/QUOTE]

Need there more be said?
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #77
thebluesman5748

Quote:
I did get lucky last year up North whilst at a friends camp.
Geo... that's an awsome rack from last year. Your much too modest...

Congratulations.......

Bluesman
Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #78
thebluesman5748

A Few More Photo's from 2010

I found a few more photo's of 2010. Bear with me, I know this is getting old. I promise I'll go away after this..... I just love that stove. It's a God send out there coming back to camp in the bitter cold.

WANTED: One Good Hunting Partner

I'm still looking for someone who knows their way around the woods, who doesn't need guidance in or out of camp, who's willing to spend 10 days at a pop in the backcountry, and who can tolerate my farting and drunken state should I hit the Jack Daniel's a little too hard in camp at night...... Gender not an issue. Cooking skills preferred, but not a pre-requisite.

Navigational skills an absolute must. Just looking for one good mountain man to share in the adventure......

Enjoy the video and photo's....

Remember: "It's not the kill, it's the Adventure"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQs7eyC7wEM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3656.jpg (150.2 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3661.jpg (144.5 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3613.jpg (117.9 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3654.jpg (145.8 KB, 203 views)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #79
Robin

Great Thread

I enjoyed this thread alot. A few years ago I almost hooked up with the bluesman5748 for a back country hunt, but I ended up at Little Tupper Lake for a week in my own little camp with another hunter who brought his kit along. We paddled in in wood canvas canoes, I think I posted a little story about it, great week of hunting and camplife. No luck, but it was more of a "shake down" cruise with my wall tent then hard core hunting so I came home happy. I have plenty of time and lots of deer down here in CT, so the pressure is "off" when I get inside the blue line.

I missed last season as my daughter pulled a moose permit in Maine and I spent a week with her. I really missed the ADK's and the wall tent experience though, and plan on getting back there this fall.

I tried to sell my wall tent here, thinking I could parley the money into a smaller winter tent to get into winter camping with a sled, but that's not really what I'm into and I'm glad the tent didn't sell. My tent is an 8x10 with a wood stove, I carry a couple of boxes full of gear and they make nice tables, a cot for extra comfort and a chair. It's a great snug little camp, I can't wait to go this spring for an early season fishing trip with it.
In one picture it looks like a strong wind would knock it over, but I'm better with it now and have learned to make a nice set-up. Finding poles is the hardest part, not many strong blow downs around canoe in sites imo.

I retired this past spring and have more time to camp, plus I bought a 17 ft wood canvas Chestnut Propector this summer,and will now have even more room to carry my outfit.

BTW, when Bluesman and I where talking, we discovered that we where both born on the same day, 5/7/48 (blueman5748), who would have known.

I included a few pics of the trip and there are a bunch more here
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5...vhost=outdoors

I was told by a fellow canoe tripper that a local "expert on all things canoe" viewed my pictures and bemoaned that "that guy Robin carries way too much stuff"
Gotta love them wall tents and big canoes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02530.jpg (88.5 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02646.jpg (140.3 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg Loaded Chestnut Pal.jpg (113.3 KB, 201 views)
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #80
geogymn

Thanks all on the congrats but it was lucky, embarrassingly lucky. Still counts and its hanging above me whilst I type. You spend enough time at it and your bound to get lucky, right? Remind me to tell you about it sometime.
Bluesman, Great pics, looks like heaven. "cooking skills preferred"? Are you kidding me, who is going to match the food in those pictures? I don't eat that good at home! That coffee pot, never mind I'll attach a pic.
I seen some great pics on this thread and it makes me happy to see some are taking advantage of this great gift we have called the Adirondacks. We are blessed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0111011624.jpg (107.4 KB, 182 views)