Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #61
fisher39

Oh, if it were only the blackflies this year - the mosquitos seem to be just as thick. I've never seen them so numerous. The nice thing about blackflies is they are a lot of buzz and not a lot of bite. Mosquitos are always ready to get down to business.

Long story short, in my experience, WORST BUG SEASON EVER.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #62

Got a text from a neighbor that is living just up the road from our camp and does a good job of keeping an eye on the neighorhood and is allways willing to help out his very few neighbors .
Text read : Took 1 gal gas , one can of bug spray , and about one pint o' blood to get the lawns mowed .

ETA : His last text was Monday evening it read : Blackflies , Deerflies , and Skeeters , have an impact on the tourists . Ain't seen a single one all weekend .

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #63
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Worst season ever...

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #64
saabrian

Anyone know how BFs are on Noonmark, Chimney, Goodenow and/or Blue Mtns? Looking at those for this weekend.

Last edited by saabrian; 06-03-2011 at 10:14 PM..
saabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #65
fvrwld

Possible frost in the Keene Valley area tonight. Here's to hoping it kills a few
Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #66
saabrian

Thanks for the note.

PS-Your avatar is the same as my Twitter icon. Go B's!

Last edited by saabrian; 06-03-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Old 06-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #67
Grey-Jay

Black fly photo

Here's a long expsoure from Sacandaga Lake area

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/1626/052811b165.jpg
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #68
pennyanmurph

I was hiking around Moose Mountain Pond yesterday, and the black flies were definitely out, but even worse were the mosquitos. It was maddening!

-Pat
pennyanmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #69
gregpphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
I've done 3 different sections of the JMT and never saw a black fly. Mosquitos, yes, but that's a whole different animal..er insect. Depending on when you're on the JMT, they can be horrendous, and this year with the high snow pack and late melt, they'll be around later in the summer.
You had it right. Insects are indeed part of the kingdom Animalia.

I've never experienced the mighty black flies either, hoping they are still around when I get up there in a couple weeks, would like to see what all the fuss is about!
gregpphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #70
WiseFool
Backpacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkayaker View Post
Here's a long expsoure from Sacandaga Lake area

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/1626/052811b165.jpg
Cool shot. Before clicking on your link I almost expected an image completely blacked out by bugs.
WiseFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #71
c.j.scarborough83

Just hiked the Tongue Mt. Range this past weekend. Black flies weren't bad but the mosquitoes were horrendous, especially between Five Mile to the Fifth Peak. Had 2 cans of OFF Deep Woods and the clip on thing they sell and I still had to re-apply every 15 mins, they were swarming that bad. Sounded like a bee hive swarm instead of mosquitoes. However all the rest of the trip wasn't even half as bad as that one part of the trail.
c.j.scarborough83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #72
Billman

Just got back from Marcy Dam area and the black flies were there but not in great numbers. Mosquito's were busy all weekend. There was also a hatch of what looked like hendrickson's, light cahil's, and some caddis. Usually before my hike in I shower with a non scented hunters shampoo and soap, and also use a unscented antiperspirant. This usually works well for me and I usually use no bug dope and get away with it. This weekend I came away with a few skeeter bites on the legs. I also use a long sleeve bug repellant long sleeve shirt which worked well. I was a bit skeptical about the shirt when I bought it but it has served me well as a great top to hike in. I think I will invest in the bug repellant pants since I don't like to use bug dope.
Billman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #73
Vermont Scott

Paddled Floodwood Pond to Little Square Pond to Coperas Pond to Whey Pond to Rollins Pond and back to Floodwood yesterday. Didn't see a single black fly but like others have said the mosquitos were absolutely terrible. Picked up a decent non-deet containing bug repellant at St Regis Outfitters. Thank God they were open, I didn't have any bug repellant with me-thanks Dave!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #74
saabrian

We ended up hiking Goodnow Mtn in Newcomb this weekend. Mosquitoes were absolutely horrible but I didn't notice any black flies.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #75
dmcieslik

Spent the weekend in the Black River Wild Forest. It seems to be the consensus, but I'll say it anyhow. Black flies were out for about an hour and a half, but tolerable. Mosquitoes were a persistent nag.
dmcieslik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #76
Dick
somewhere out there...

Just did an overnight to Siamese Ponds this past weekend. Bugs were tolerable, and not bad at the ponds at all, but we all used some combination of bug dope/permethrin clothing. They were at their worst (mosquitos, not flies) on the way out near the vlei area and from the Diamond Brook bridge to the height of land on 11th Mt. shoulder (absolutely horrible there). Almost no bugs in sight once you cleared the height of land. Temps were mid-70's, no wind.

Side note to those who were recently responsible for leaving a bag of candy, peanut butter crackers and Oreos hung five feet off the ground from a tree (already ravaged by critters), a large plastic ground cloth, blue bowl, grill, one shoe (!?), and a bunch of tin foil, obviously used for cooking, strewn around the site (we packed out all but the bowl and grill). Not to mention the person(s) responsible for building a fire at the base of tree that was not ten feet from the already existing fire pit. Next time, please think of the risk to the environment and to your fellow hikers who camp after you. Unfortunately, you probably won't.

Sorry for the rant. I know this probably doesn't do any good, but I just had to vent.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #77
trailrunner3

Was up Lyon Mt. this weekend early on Saturday and the mosquitos were absolutely obnoxious - I have never experienced mosquito presence as bad as this year - a few black flies, but nothing more than what I would consider normal for early June.
trailrunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #78
Crickster

For you B.F. experts out there (especially ones with kids), I am thinking about taking two of my kids on a hike (overnight at Marcy Dam) to Phelps and maybe Table Top in the next week or two. They are 11 and 14 and have been coming to the ADKS and hiking for about 6 years, but usually in July or August. I always hear that smart people stay away in mid June, but I am itching (no pun intended) to get out and try out some new gear and get my winter legs in shape. I'm thinking nets, Deet and go for it, but I don't want to freak them out. Thoughts?
Crickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #79
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickster View Post
For you B.F. experts out there (especially ones with kids), I am thinking about taking two of my kids on a hike (overnight at Marcy Dam) to Phelps and maybe Table Top in the next week or two. They are 11 and 14 and have been coming to the ADKS and hiking for about 6 years, but usually in July or August. I always hear that smart people stay away in mid June, but I am itching (no pun intended) to get out and try out some new gear and get my winter legs in shape. I'm thinking nets, Deet and go for it, but I don't want to freak them out. Thoughts?
What a great way to teach kids how to cope in the outdoors. They have heard enough media hype about avoiding the dangerous outdoors.

You will build a fire and choose a breezy campsite and wear neutral colors. Those kids are not kids anymore in a sense. But they are teachable. Do you want to teach them that at sometimes they should not go outdoors or do you want to teach them coping mechanisms?

Kids SHOULD be freaked out. That way they discover their inner strengths.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #80
Dick
somewhere out there...

I agree with yellowcanoe. I don't know your kids, but they apparently are no strangers to the outdoors, and surely they encountered SOME bugs, even if not "black fly season" strength. If they're bad, that will be just another step in the learning process.

By the way, here's a straightforward primer on DEET (includes section on children's use):
http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/deetfacts.htm (last updated in March, 2107 ).

FYI, we may be doing a similar trip, including Phelps, this weekend.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote