Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #41
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00 View Post
A great purchase by NY State. NY's fiscal issues are well documented, but to be honest, have nothing to do with this. I would gladly go into a little more debt with this purchase then waste the money on some other ballooning social welfare program or other governmental program that may, or may not, have some tangible positive purpose.

This is an investment for ALL THE PEOPLE, and I am glad for it.

As for the Gooley Club and all the other Hunting camps out there losing their lands. Yeah, I can appreciate their loss. But its probably something that happens everyday in our country. My Grandmother use to own a beautiful home in Lake Placid on Mirror Lake Drive. It was the "family camp" for year and there were many memories made their. It was literally paradise. When she passed, the rest of her family couldn't afford it's upkeep and were forced to "give it up". I still lament the loss every time I drive by it.

It's the nature of the beast sometimes...... at least as a consolation, they can still visit it from time to time if they desire.
Very well said.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #42
geogymn

Chances are my body will never experience this new territory but knowing there is an even more secluded place to retreat to helps sooth the head. My spirit is taking a short sabbatical from the Yukon territory to check out this new cathedral.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #43
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
Here's one way to keep all this in perspective:

Presumably everyone on this website is here because you like to hike. Camp. Fish. Hunt. Paddle. Whatever.

Presumably, you have also had an outstanding day on state land pursuing that favorite activity. Maybe it was Mount Marcy. The Moose River Plains. Nicks Lake Campground. Whatever. It was a terrific experience and you'll never forget it.

Now think about this: That spot was once somebody's private property.

A past owner sold it to the state so that somebody like you could enjoy that experience.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #44
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
"When someone sights numbers such as 300,000,000 american and 30,000,000 canadian as potential users....
I never said I saw all those people in there....

You are right btw, even though 330,000,000 N. Americans will have free and legal access to these lands, only a small fraction will ever actually visit the area. Especially if road access is cut off.

No road access doesn't mean no access. All one has to do is get out and walk.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #45
Navigator

I can understand the monetary concerns. I feel them, too. Still, I think the overall adirondack vision is a good one. With climate change, habitat fragmentation, pollution, etc. this preservation effort is needed. Personally, this makes me excited.

If other states could do the same, the environment might improve. In the long run, clean, heathy ecosystems impact the economy. Consider the state's purchase an investment in our future.

I can't wait to visit!
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #46
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
The true test of democracy would have been to put this to a Statewide vote via referendum. I can think of a few instances where the politicians did the opposite of what the polls were saying.
So what?

So the uninformed public can do something on the scale of voting in the requirement of the votes of a supermajority in a state legislature before they can raise taxes in a state in dire need of revenue like in Califorinia?

Don't get me started here; I'm trying to be a good boy!

We're in a democratic Republic.

60 years ago if you gave the American people a vote for or against segregation they would have voted for it. That would have obviously been wrong. You can't always trust the people's judgement.

This was the right decision.

Last edited by forest dweller; 08-09-2012 at 07:17 AM..
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #47
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
All one has to do is get out and walk.
And isn't walking GRAND Neil?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #48
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Quote:

Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #49
adkman12986

Quote:

You are right btw, even though 330,000,000 N. Americans will have free and legal access to these lands, only a small fraction will ever actually visit the area. Especially if road access is cut off.

Hard for a Vet who lost both legs fighting to keep us free and is confined in a wheelchair to access these and other areas or do we just forget them like the Viet Nam Vets? Have you seen some of the handicapped access canoe launches? Some of them are pathetic..
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #50
cityboy

Anyone know anything about the other 90,000 acres of Finch Pruyn land? Surprisingly despite having a camp I've heard nothing. It was sold to a private entity and I understand that a State easement was granted in late 2010. I think it was confined to just the roads. I was wondering when it took effect. I'd like to walk or bike the Cornell RD (Goodnow Flow lease) in Newcomb but am unsure if I can do it since I'm not a member.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #51
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
Hard for a Vet who lost both legs fighting to keep us free and is confined in a wheelchair to access these and other areas or do we just forget them like the Viet Nam Vets? Have you seen some of the handicapped access canoe launches? Some of them are pathetic..
Probably debatable that he lost his legs to "keep us free" but to remain politically correct we'll assume that to be true.

However there are accessible wildlands for the handicapped. I don't think it would be reasonable or pragmatic to try to make many areas accessible for the handicapped especially if it would in any way degrade the wild characteristics of the area.

How much degradation of an area should reasonable people tolerate to help a few people in the scheme of things? Should we allow filthy oil pipelines to cut through forests to enrich a few people, give a few people jobs and continue with the burning of fossil fuels?

Sometimes I feel like the anti-environmentalists use the handicapped in a shameless manner to get what they want for themselves, not the handicapped.

They created a handicapped campground in a pristine but private spot north of Long Lake and I think that was a huge mistake despite the good it does for a few people.

I could be wrong though.

Last edited by forest dweller; 08-09-2012 at 10:05 AM..
Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #52
adkh20

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
Hard for a Vet who lost both legs fighting to keep us free and is confined in a wheelchair to access these and other areas or do we just forget them like the Viet Nam Vets?
Please stop using that disingenuous argument. As you well know, the DEC provides opportunities for disabled access of state lands including permitted vehicle access on closed roads.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/34035.html
adkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #53
Neil
Kayak-46

Well, shame on me, with all my forum experience, to make a post that opened up the handicapped argument. Nothing wrong with exploring that subject within this specific case, for a while.

If road access already exists to an area I am in favor of facilitating handicapped access. However, opening up an area, building and maintaining roads and infrastructure to allow handicap access is a different kettle of fish.

To modify my post: All one has to do, if of able body, is get out and walk.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #54
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

It's just my opinion but the Adirondacks have a high proportion of vet's living there (maybe the cheap taxes or the solitude, not sure). Although most of the ones I know aren't handicapped as severely as the example, they certainly do take advantage of state land opportunities like the rest of us.

FD- I wouldn't bring that attitude you have towards the military around many of the local watering holes.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #55
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
FD- I wouldn't bring that attitude you have towards the military around many of the local watering holes.
Not even if I told you that I spent 12 years in the US Navy myself, prior to the days I realized that the military and military personnel are used and misused by people in high places who want them to believe they are fighting for our freedoms? It's a great trick to get naive masses to go along with something they wouldn't go along with if they knew the real motives.

At least that is what I have come to believe.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #56
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
Not even if I told you that I spent 12 years in the US Navy myself, prior to the days I realized that the military and military personnel are used and misused by people in high places who want them to believe they are fighting for our freedoms? It's a great trick to get naive masses to go along with something they wouldn't go along with if they knew the real motives.

At least that is what I have come to believe.
Not even.

Non sibi sed patriae

Along the lines of this thread. It seems that the inscription over the chapel at the US Naval Academy is appropriate. As this land purchase is not for the individual but for the good of the country (everyone).
Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #57
Navigator

Can't chime in on the military, but I have a young son who has multiple disabilities that makes hiking impossible for any length of time. I also do not like lands cut by roads and even, in some cases, trails. So, I think I can see both sides of this part of the debate.

If areas already have accessible terrain, it might make sense to keep them accessible. However, I'm not an advocate of opening up pristine wilderness with graveled paths and boardwalks. Still, I want my son to experience all he can.

If I lost my abilities tomorrow, I would be devastated to lose access to some of what I love. Still, I would like knowing the remote areas are still there and still remote. I do think some accessible areas around the state need work.....

Back to the new acquisitions, where is the best place to follow the devolopments of this story?
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #58
Neil
Kayak-46

Just to help us all get back on topic here is the headline of the article that was linked to in the original post.

Quote:
New York State and The Nature Conservancy finalize agreement to conserve 69,000 acres in the Adirondacks
Nature and people will benefit from the protection of lands and waters in the Upper Hudson River watershed and Adirondack High Peaks.
Thanks!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #59
forest dweller

I spoke to a guy who worked with the DEC on these lands. He had AMAZING pictures of a gorgeous lodge on Boreas Ponds that he says will have to come down. It's kind of unfortunate that it couldn't remain as a ranger's interior outpost.

Anyway, he said that the fact that it was going to be considered a paddling destination was being taken into consideration but he did not know how the lands were going to be classified, if the road going in was going to remain open at all, all the way in, or possibly part of the way.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #60
Neil
Kayak-46

I suspect that there will be more than a few headaches and heated discussions behind closed doors while the powers that be do their best to PO as few people as possible.