Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
ashtonscavette
Administrator

Guns

who knows the rules for a weapon in the adirondack park ....can i carry a rifle in the park year round if i'm not hunting ......? what are the rules ......not looking to kill just on my person ...?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonscavette
who knows the rules for a weapon in the adirondack park ....can i carry a rifle in the park year round if i'm not hunting ......? what are the rules ......not looking to kill just on my person ...?
Hi Ashton!

The only time you should have any kind of problem carrying a firearm on State land is during hunting season if you don't have a license. There are rules concerning having a gun of certain calibers in the field during different seasons. Here's a link to the general possession of a firearm.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...tml#Possession

Some may argue that you don't possess a license, and your not hunting, so these laws don't apply to you.These are HUNTING regulations. But You may want to talk to your local DEC officer to make sure I'm right on this. It's always a good idea to get the info from the guy on the trail who's enforcing the rules. someone might come out of the woods and report that there's a crazy man with a gun walking his goats on the hiking trail, and the DEC officer will say "O, that's just Ashton!" I've already talked to him, he's OK!"

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!

Last edited by Wildernessphoto; 02-01-2005 at 10:23 PM..
Old 02-04-2005, 09:02 PM   #3
ashtonscavette
Administrator

so what is the say so on wild dogs in my yard? can i kill then with no hunting permit/....?what
about tracking is there a season ....? or just a varment....
Old 02-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
so what is the say so on wild dogs in my yard? can i kill then with no hunting permit/....?what
about tracking is there a season ....? or just a varment....
Coyotes have a season. If you have problem predators threatening your livestock, you get a permit from the DEC Ranger. They will issue you one to protect your livestock, and you don't need a license.

Is that what you mean?

Old 02-04-2005, 11:18 PM   #5
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Somebody needs to protect the Coyotes from the Goats!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-05-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
ashtonscavette
Administrator

yes very helpful thanks. ..they use to stay back in the woods but now i'm finding trails close in to this hill i live on... i mean we all have dogs and there is horse on the hill i know if they get wiff of whats around here they'll become a problem ..
Old 02-07-2005, 11:11 PM   #7
Ned Kipperson

You'll need a hunting license to shoot coyotes (if that's what your'e talking about as "wild dogs"), a trapping license to trap coyotes, unless you have a nuisance permit with a bonafide damage complaint. It can only be during the open coyote season without a nuisance permit. You also have to be 500' from another dwelling. No loaded firearms on a motor vehicle. DEC rangers don't give permits, the DEC wildlife people do (not DEC Police either). You'll have to prove you have done what you can to protect your livestock. You can carry a rifle of any caliber except in rifle deer hunting season you can't carry a .22 rimfire anytime or a shotgun with slugs without a hunting license. As for the park, do you mean forest preserve? If you shoot coyotes at night with a light you'll need a hunting license. Many gun charges are misdemeanors, so make sure you've got your paperwork in order.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
ashtonscavette
Administrator

so if its not deer hunting season i can walk around in state forest with a unloaded gun ...what about discharging it at nothing a so called target practice in state forest.?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:33 PM   #9
ken999

As far as I know, you can carry a loaded gun around 24-7 & target practice is permitted in state forests.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #10
ashtonscavette
Administrator

i don't ken there has to be some kind of say so on this ...
Old 02-09-2005, 06:30 PM   #11
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
i don't ken there has to be some kind of say so on this ...
Hi Ashton,
We're talking about many different things here.
1- Owning, and carrying a firearm
2- Hunting
3- shooting nuisance predators
4- target shooting
5- carrying a firearm on State land
(I hope I got them all)
1- The 2nd amendment guarantees us as private citizens the right to keep and bear arms. There are some restrictions like handguns require a permit in NY. If you commit a crime you loose the right to possess. there are also restrictions inside city limits, firearms must be transported unloaded in chamber and magazine, etc.
2- Hunting requires a hunter safety coarse, buying of a license, and following the rules for the different seasons
3- Shooting nuisance predators can be done with a special DEC permit year round. I've gotten one before from my local forest ranger.
4- If you legally own and carry a firearm, you can target shoot at anytime. There are still rules, and responsibilities. you can't endanger others, disturb the peace, damaging property, signs, or anything on other peoples property or State land, and other common sense things.
5- You can carry long guns afield anytime on state land, the DEC could take issue with you if you are out in the field with a long gun during hunting season. It's always best to talk to your local forest ranger, or DEC conservation officer to find out how they enforce the law. I've found the DEC officers sometimes interpret and enforce statues different, so talk to them, and follow there instruction. If you don't, you may find yourself defending your position in court...

Old 02-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #12
ashtonscavette
Administrator

ya thats perfect . .i'm in a new world to this .....
Old 02-09-2005, 07:57 PM   #13
ken999

I guess I should have been a little more clear. You need a license to carry a pistol. Other than that, anyone over the age of 18 with a clean record is entitled to buy a gun and carry it afield. During hunting season, I would find it hard to believe you could be ticketed for a hunting violation (ie. having a loaded gun after legal shooting hours) if you were not in possesion of a hunting license.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #14
ashtonscavette
Administrator

will you be my lawyer ken999 .......?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #15
ken999

...you shoudn't need one....

If a coyote attacks your livestock or pets, shoot it.

If you want to take your rifle for a hike during hunting season without a license, do it..
Old 02-09-2005, 11:48 PM   #16
ken999

http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm
Old 02-11-2005, 12:10 AM   #17
Ned Kipperson

Check the conservation law also. A lot of the stuff in the penal law in this link applies to handguns and carry in urban settings. The Hunting and Trapping digest can be found (free) at all sporting goods stores (well, maybe not foot locker, golf pro shops or EMS). It's got all the basic long gun laws.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:14 AM   #18
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I'm just curious about all this. Why would someone want to carry an UNLOADED Gun, in the woods or anywhere else for that matter.

Me? I wouldn't carry a gun unless I was going to kill someone with it. I haven't carried or held one since the 60's, other then in the course of employment when a handgun was required and actually needed for possible protection (Snakes, Cougars, Wolverines and some Biga$$ bears).

In my old age I have developed a system whereas if there is any place I would need to carry a gun for protection (A LOADED gun), I don't go there, therefore I don't need protection.

I can understand (and have no problem with) a rifle for hunting, and a pistol in poisonous, snake infested areas, but beyond that I see no reason to carry a gun in the woods.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-11-2005, 10:13 AM   #19
mtnhiker10
mtnhiker10

Question handguns on the trail?

just curios about how some of u feel about people carrying loaded hand guns for protection only, on the trail and while they're camping out. personal feelings and laws if anyone knows.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:37 AM   #20
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhiker10
just curios about how some of u feel about people carrying loaded hand guns for protection only, on the trail and while they're camping out. personal feelings and laws if anyone knows.
I don't see a reason to, but I have no problem with others doing so.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
Closed Thread