Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #61
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken999
Yes the odds are low, but still higher than fighting one off with your hands.

Pepper spray being non-leathal, is not, IMHO, something that I am willing to risk my life to. I want something that will "level the playing field"...meaning the bear can kill me, I need to be able to kill the bear...or Moose, or Wolverine etc.

Again, chances of that type of scenario here in the 'dacks is pretty low...almost non-existant, but when it comes right down to it, I want to survive.
You don't have a prayer with the wolverine unless you have a lance to stick him with.

A hunter on the upper peninsula was found ripped to shreds. His rifle a modified 25/20 which had lead bullets was empty. There was a blood trail from the body that ran a half mile. There was the Wolverine, dead, with 8 "dum-dums" in him. Hunter had emptied his rifle into it and it still managed to do him in and then run 1/2 mile.

Wolverines innards are like boars, impossible to bring down immediately. Plus a Wolverine, more then any other animal , would just as soon attack as avoid.

As for the bear? You stand a better chance with the non lethal pepper spray. Or better yet, the Flare Gun (which are not legal everywhere. The bear doesn't understand a LETHAL THREAT. It does understand Pain. If you are going to make a stand, you need something that will stop it in it's tracks IMMEDIATELY otherwise you don't have a prayer.

Personally I would have more confidence in a sharp stick that a handgun, even a Blackhawk .44.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-15-2005, 04:20 PM   #62
ashtonscavette
Administrator

about bear attacks... it comes down to while the person is being attacked hopefully if there is another person in the party is the one that kills the bear would be the common becouse there is really no time ....i read a few storys were the only use for the gun was to turn it on your self ..
Old 02-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #63
ken999

Hawk, I've heard that about Wolverines...pound for pound the toughest critter in NA...
The pistol that I typically carry here is not the pistol that I would carry in Griz/Wolverine territory.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:32 PM   #64
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

We don't have to worry about wolverines here in the east..... do we?
Old 02-15-2005, 04:41 PM   #65
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocoldroid
We don't have to worry about wolverines here in the east..... do we?
It's possible to see one around here, but most of the time I only see Merrells and Asolos.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
Old 02-15-2005, 04:42 PM   #66
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

save it for the foot fetish forum topic zac

(ummm, if you don't know what I"m talking about, just referencing the bad jokes from this thread )

Last edited by protocoldroid; 02-15-2005 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: thread reference
Old 02-15-2005, 04:50 PM   #67
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Sorry I couldn't resist.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
Old 02-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #68
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

hahahah, definitely a good one! just bustin' yer chops
Old 02-15-2005, 07:58 PM   #69
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Judgeh,
While I realize I do not need to justify my desire to carry a gun at times, I will provide some enlightenment.

I do most of my backpacking alone, other than when I lead trips for the AMC or ADK (and then I don't ever carry much more than a pocketknife).

However, when I am out alone, and the most I have ever been out on my own was 10 days (except for 6 days in Alaska that felt like 2 months because I saw nobody for 4 of the days) I sometimes carry a sidearm. Most of my hiking now is on the AT, (I have backpacked about 380-410 miles alone over the past 2 years on it in PA, NJ & VA) as well as other linear trails or bushwacking in northern PA.

I have never had a weird feeling when backpacking alone, except for the one time I described and that occured about 12 years into my backpacking experiences. I have learned over the past 15 years of being in the backwoods to trust my gut instinct or the "second sense" that many of us possess. I also learned from a couple of years of Karate to avoid situations that could put me in harm's way.

I am not sure if you were referring to me specifically with your "overtired, overworked imagination" comment, but if you were, then I find it interesting that with your profession, you wouldn't have gathered more facts before judging.
Cheers

After you have read my post completely, Rick, you will note I agreed with Wildernessphoto that some wilderness treking may require a firearm.

"Overtired, overworked imagination" refers to me as you did not provide an explanation as to why you thought you were being followed (although I certainly wouldn't exclude it as a possibility even considering your enlightening "second sense" post). Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:45 PM   #70
Rick
Bad Seed

Judgeh,
No harm no foul!! I was just trying to understand your message better.
Thanks so much
Cheers

Rick
Old 02-16-2005, 06:06 AM   #71
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Judgeh,
No harm no foul!! I was just trying to understand your message better.
Thanks so much
Cheers

Rick
I am very opinionated on the subject but I prefer to beat up on Sir Redhawk!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:18 AM   #72
Judgeh

...and at least I'm reasonably assured you're not advocating that I need a machine gun to climb Mt. Marcy!
Old 02-16-2005, 10:21 AM   #73
mtnhiker10
mtnhiker10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgeh
...and at least I'm reasonably assured you're not advocating that I need a machine gun to climb Mt. Marcy!

we'll save that one for another thread.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #74
Rivet
Likes to hike

Hasta la vista .... Frenchy!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:26 PM   #75
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet
Hasta la vista .... Frenchy!
Yikes!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 05:10 AM   #76
Holdstrong

Quote:
I find it laughable that someone would not hike with me because I was carrying a gun. Am I dangerous? Apparently not...the FBI, State Police and and County Sherriff all seem to think I'm o.k.? How about an axe or knife? Are they allowed?
The FBI, State Police and County Sheriff will let you do all sorts of things that I would just assume not be around while you do them. Carrying a gun happens to be one of them. Just because those entities will allow you to do something doesnt mean it is free of danger.

I wouldnt read too much into it or take offense when someone says they wouldnt hike with you if you carry a gun. And I don't think that dragging the discussion down a set of analogies from firearms to axes to knives will do much good - because it could just as easily be reversed up that road to question where it is you would draw the line. Should you also carry an assault weapon, machine gun, or explosives on the trail for safety?

Point is, people draw the line at different places.... and some, including me, are uncomfortable around firearms and feel that the potential danger they represent far outweights the potential safety they might provide. Thus, I would just assume not be around someone who carries a gun (with very few exceptions)
Old 02-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #77
ken999

Holdstrong- I have no interest in dragging any discussion down, and am at a loss as to why you would suggest that?

I have grown up around firearms and find it interesting (I guess laughable was not the best choice of wording...) that others might be offended or alarmed at my decision to carry a sidearm while hiking. I'm guessing that more people are injured by knives or axes while in the woods than from guns...

...anyways...to each his/her own...
Old 02-23-2005, 02:34 PM   #78
Holdstrong

Quote:
Holdstrong- I have no interest in dragging any discussion down, and am at a loss as to why you would suggest that?
I wasn't suggesting that you were intentionally dragging the discussion down. That was more of a figure of speech than anything.... in my experience, once a gun discussion is extended down a list of analogous objects the conversation never gets very far. And for good reason.

It seems like if you've been in one gun discussion, you've been in them all...

Hiker A: To the best of my knowledge, more people have been injured by knives in the woods than by guns. So how come you dont mind hiking with people who carry knives?

Hiker B: Yeah, ok, and to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been injured by a rocket propelled grenade in the woods.... so by your logic, I suppose I should be just fine hiking with someone who straps an RPG to their back.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat, ad nauseam.

As long as it is legal for someone to carry a firearm with them while hiking, I'll stick to the "to each their own" philosophy.... and my "own" happens to be that, in almost every situation, I would just assume not be around a gun if I didnt have to be. (or an RPG for that matter )
Old 02-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #79
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdstrong
Hiker A: To the best of my knowledge, more people have been injured by knives in the woods than by guns. So how come you dont mind hiking with people who carry knives?
1 In all my experience, People who really know the woods, don't need a gun, all carry knives.
2. I can't be "shot" with a knife when I'm 10 yards away
3. No one was ever killed or injured by a knife richochet
4. I can take the knife away from you and shove it up your a$$
5. No one ever accidently shot themselve in the foot with a knife
6. Knives have several purposes, a gun has only one

Finally, if you're hiking with me, you won't need a gun.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:51 PM   #80
ken999

HS-So is it the gun you don't like or the person carrying it?

Hawk- We don't need alot of things but we have'em right?

I don't know about everyone else, but I have certainly injured myself more times throughout the course of my life with sharp instruments, than I have guns.
Closed Thread