Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #21
Hard Scrabble

I knew a bunch of guys who set up a tent camp along the east branch of the Sacandaga who hired a guy with team of horses to haul their gear in.
I would see it, just off the trail when I walked into my tent camp at the base of Big Shanty.
Coming out one day, the place just didn't look right.
I walked up on the knoll to look it over. I initially thought that a bear had visited, their gear was everywhere.
It turned out that their permitted campsite was vandalized by hikers.
They were from the Ft. Edward area, I never saw them again.
Kinda disappointing.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #22
Bounder45

What kind of terrain/areas are hunters looking for when deer hunting in the ADK's?
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:29 AM   #23
EagleCrag

Deer hunting in the Adirondacks is usually "big woods" hunting where there generally aren't any crop fields and many open areas. Deer can be found on all sorts of terrain from mountain tops to swampy areas. Adirondack hunting is difficult hunting for deer compared to other areas and states I have hunted. You really have to get out and invest in some shoe leather and cover some ground looking for sign. You will seldom find heavily used deer trails, more likely general areas like saddles or perhaps some other terrain feature that might tend to funnel the deer.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #24
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

My permit came yesterday for the first two weeks in Nov. Can't wait
What EagleCrag is right on, it is heard hunting , Its not like down here in the southern tier.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #25
geogymn

I concur with EC. Big woods hunting is tough. But can be rewarding. You pretty much "harvest" a deer in the southern tier but "hunt" them in the northern tier. And you know there are some old and weary bucks lurking about. But the biggest reward is being alone in the great North Woods contemplating the mysteries that surround you and thanking your lucky stars that you have been granted this opportunity.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #26
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Nice looking camp Robin!!
Have fun, Good luck!!!!
Jim
Thanks Jim

I agree, nothing like the big woods. The thing I like about Tomar Mt area is it's a big landmark I can work around and not get "turned around". I still don't cover alot of ground, but I don't mind sitting and waiting.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #27
Fly Rodder

I'm fortunate to be a member of a great hunting club that has a permanent camp and hunts wilderness areas and has for the last 45+ years. There are antlers on the wall that were taken in the 20s and 30s and we still do some of the same drives. At the end of the day we'll total around 8-10 miles and 1200 ft of elevation change. Bagging an Adirondack buck is hard enough, but then you have to get it out of the woods!

I like to track too. I never was much for stand sitting. It's boring and cold for 3 and half hours and then 2 minutes of excitement if you're lucky enough to have a deer pass through. I like to hike and explore and I know that there are mossy old bucks out there that die of old age having never encountered a human. This is the first year that a partner and I are going to use a remote ultralight tent camp with a small portable stove. I'm already way beyond excited.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #28
Hard Scrabble

Fly Rodder,
Good luck to you this fall.
But remember, walking miles a day may not bring you a buck.
Each step changes everything in the woods.
Jim
Old 10-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #29

Bump to the top

Anyone ??? Always good to hear of success , stick and string , front stuffer , or metallic cartridge

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #30
wellsley

Success is measured differently from individuals. I hunted the first several days of the smoke pole season. It was successful for me because I was able to spend time in the adk woods. I saw deer every day even got a shot at a nice buck. I tracked it for about an hour in the snow (no blood or sign of it being wounded). That will likely be my last trip this year to the ADK.

Good luck everyone.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #31
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Shhh my old Vinson 500 has seen much deer blood hauling out deer carcasses from the woods. Probably saved more than one old timer from an early death but I never charged a cent. But shhh.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #32
Stillhunter

I am looking forward to my first NZ rifle hunt later this week. Hoping the leaves have dropped enough to see.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #33
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
I am looking forward to my first NZ rifle hunt later this week. Hoping the leaves have dropped enough to see.
You should be good. Lots of leaves came down with the rain and wind. Good luck!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #34
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rodder View Post
I'm fortunate to be a member of a great hunting club that has a permanent camp and hunts wilderness areas and has for the last 45+ years. There are antlers on the wall that were taken in the 20s and 30s and we still do some of the same drives. At the end of the day we'll total around 8-10 miles and 1200 ft of elevation change. Bagging an Adirondack buck is hard enough, but then you have to get it out of the woods!

I like to track too. I never was much for stand sitting. It's boring and cold for 3 and half hours and then 2 minutes of excitement if you're lucky enough to have a deer pass through. I like to hike and explore and I know that there are mossy old bucks out there that die of old age having never encountered a human. This is the first year that a partner and I are going to use a remote ultralight tent camp with a small portable stove. I'm already way beyond excited.
Fly,
The experience of setting up a remote camp and hunting from it is the ultimate of whitetail hunting.
I'm excited for you!
Good luck.
Jim
Old 10-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #35
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsley View Post
Success is measured differently from individuals. I hunted the first several days of the smoke pole season. It was successful for me because I was able to spend time in the adk woods. I saw deer every day even got a shot at a nice buck. I tracked it for about an hour in the snow (no blood or sign of it being wounded). That will likely be my last trip this year to the ADK.

Good luck everyone.
Wells,
Most likely it was a clean miss.
Don't give up.
Jim
Old 10-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #36
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
That is a sharp stick in the eye. I am blessed to own a piece of land that the DEC believes is over-populated with deer. I cannot harvest a buck until next week. Until then our hunt is antlerless only. On opening I had three bucks within 20 yards, all in my lanes, two quartering away perfectly. One stood for 3 minutes (hours) 10 feet from me. I passed on a doe with two fawns, one with her spots still visible.
The DEC believes that the bow hunting community will correct the population issue they believe we have....based upon their assessment with only 40% reporting their harvest. Frankly, in the area I hunt I believe it is lower, probably 20%. The DEC also believes that they can "true up" their data by visiting the butchers....seriously? Most of the deer are butchered at home in the garage. What they do not know about (on my property) is that my neighbor and his daughter have shot and lost 7 deer in the last two years, that they killed the senior doe, and that all of the breeders are two year old deer. They do not know that know that my neighbor did not harvest a deer last year, the first time in 20 years. They do not know that the only the only deer that were left in my woods last year were three fawns or that one of them was killed by coyotes and that one was killed by a car They also do not know that seven deer were killed on the surrounding roads. They may or may not know about the folks that hunt year round.
They do not have clue...but they do believe that I will stink up my woods to take antlerless deer even though I know that I need to let them survive in order to help the herd recover. What they also did not take into to consideration is that I have done my share including nuisance tag deer for local farms. They also apparently do not know that I would tag out with antlerless once I get a buck.....as I do every year. So much for the sophisticated online records that dumped all of it's data two years ago.

We are caught between a rock and a hard place. If we do not tag antleress deer in the early bow season the DEC plans to shorten the bow season next year and drop two weeks of smokepole in it's place, phase three of killing off bow hunting. So I am hunting on other property where there is no restriction or where there really are more deer.......I hope I can tag an antlerless and do my share.

How's it going? Great...5 bucks so far and I have not pulled a string.
An interesting post!
i'll be honest, I have no idea of what you're talking about.
Where are you? What game management area are you talking about?
Why would the DEC shorten the season in your area?
You have already killed that many bucks this year???
If that's true, what the heck are you complaining about??
Do your SHARE???
Jim
Old 10-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #37
Stillhunter

Thanks for the leaf update St. Regis.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #38
forgedin78

It must be different in different parts of the park, last weekend in the speculator area the leaves were terrible, beech brush is still green.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #39
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedin78 View Post
It must be different in different parts of the park, last weekend in the speculator area the leaves were terrible, beech brush is still green.
Agreed, I think the leaf cover depends on where you are. I hunt around both the east and west shores of Lake George at anywhere from 500-2400 feet and this is the worst year I've seen in some time. The warm temps in late summer and lack of steady frosts have kept a lot of underbrush and young beach leaves on. Oaks are just starting to go. My brother offered a similar report from the Northern ADKs near Cranberry Lake and said one of the trails was like walking in a tunnel.

Where we hunt, we only allow youth hunters to shoot does during black powder season, which hasn't happened in nearly 10 years. I came upon a deer and couldn't see it's head as it was browsing and wound up spooking it: turned out to be a buck. My bad luck, but that's hunting. The leaves will go sooner or later.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #40
JohnnyVirgil

Saw this little gal on our trip around west canada lakes. We were ten feet away and she acted like she never saw a human before. Just poked her head up for a second, looked at us, and then went back to grazing. She looked well-fed.

JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote