Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #141
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Nice rack on him ,but amazingly ,no brow tines.
I see a fairly long tine on the right, a shorter one on the left.
Nice buck!!!
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #142
Justin
Moving along

Anyone lose a large buck recently in the North Hudson area by any chance?

Found this fella Sunday morning on my way out of the woods...
Didn't look like it had been there for very long...
Notice the fresh drag marks in the upper right.

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #143
Pole Brook Wulff

I took this guy on 11/27, the last day of a slow and challenging 10 day hunt in the French Louie wild forest, 2 hours before closing up camp for the year. Like others have said, the sign was there but the deer were not and it definitely made for long days. It was beginning to look like another day with no deer and what would have been the first time since 1985 that our camp had not taken a buck in back to back years but that all changed in an ADK moment. Fate, luck, right place/right time, perseverance...I'm not sure what to call it but I do know what to call my annual ADK hunt with family and friends at Camp Lewey...deer or no deer...memorable.

[IMG][/IMG]
Pole Brook Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #144
Hard Scrabble

Nice buck!!
Congrats.
Jim
Old 12-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #145
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Anyone lose a large buck recently in the North Hudson area by any chance?

Found this fella Sunday morning on my way out of the woods...
Didn't look like it had been there for very long...
Notice the fresh drag marks in the upper right.

The coyotes don't leave much.
I've seen it many times, but never a nice buck as this.
It had to be a wounded animal.
Nothing is wasted in nature.
Jim
Old 12-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #146
wellsley

Congrats nice buck, to bad someone lost that nice buck.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:20 PM   #147
EagleCrag

Congratulations Pole Brook. That's a nice Adirondack buck. I don't necessarily think that buck Justin found had to be wounded for the coyotes to take it down. There was a video I saw somewhere recently (you tube I think) where two coyotes took down a nice buck right in front of someone's trail camera which recorded it. That's a nice set of horns. I'd have been tempted to pack those out, though I'm not sure if that would be legal or not.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #148
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole Brook Wulff View Post
I took this guy on 11/27, the last day of a slow and challenging 10 day hunt in the French Louie wild forest, 2 hours before closing up camp for the year. Like others have said, the sign was there but the deer were not and it definitely made for long days. It was beginning to look like another day with no deer and what would have been the first time since 1985 that our camp had not taken a buck in back to back years but that all changed in an ADK moment. Fate, luck, right place/right time, perseverance...I'm not sure what to call it but I do know what to call my annual ADK hunt with family and friends at Camp Lewey...deer or no deer...memorable.

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice deer, Congratulations!
Old 12-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #149
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Congratulations Pole Brook. That's a nice Adirondack buck. I don't necessarily think that buck Justin found had to be wounded for the coyotes to take it down. There was a video I saw somewhere recently (you tube I think) where two coyotes took down a nice buck right in front of someone's trail camera which recorded it. That's a nice set of horns. I'd have been tempted to pack those out, though I'm not sure if that would be legal or not.
I would have definitely packed those out or at least hung them high and dry till the season was over.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #150
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
I don't necessarily think that buck Justin found had to be wounded for the coyotes to take it down. There was a video I saw somewhere recently (you tube I think) where two coyotes took down a nice buck right in front of someone's trail camera which recorded it. That's a nice set of horns. I'd have been tempted to pack those out, though I'm not sure if that would be legal or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
I would have definitely packed those out or at least hung them high and dry till the season was over.
Honestly, I was tempted to take the antlers, but decided to leave him be and not disturb the remains, being that I wasn't the one who had taken him. I don't need any bad karma right now haha. I figured that I'd share the photo and ask around a bit, as maybe by chance someone viewing had wounded him and then lost him, and wanted to claim the rack. If I had stumbled upon the antlers only, I definitely would've taken them.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #151
St.Regis

Congrats on the buck PBW! He has an interesting rack.

Those are heavy-duty antlers on the gravel bar buck.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #152
jman22

Great work PBW. Like you said, things can change in an instant in the deer woods! Congrats on a fine buck and another memorable season.
jman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #153
wiiawiwb

Nice buck! What did you use to take him down?
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #154
Pole Brook Wulff

Death from above with a Browning Medallion .338...heavy stuff you know, in case I miss...the shrapnel will still get 'em.
Pole Brook Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #155
Hard Scrabble

A very potent cartridge!
Jim
Old 12-15-2015, 03:59 PM   #156
Buckladd

Well, deer season is over. In a previous post I wrote about hanging in there for the last part of the season, which is my favorite in the right conditions. We didn't get anything big, but we did kill four bucks in the Adirondacks between Thanksgiving and the last day of the late muzzleloading season. My partner shot a spike buck this past Saturday and antlers fell off right after he shot it. We had to look for them in the leaves.

Congrats to all the successful hunters this year and hats off to those who put forth a solid effort, deer or no deer.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote