Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #41
Stillhunter

Nice video Bioguide...

Very nice video of your Muzzle loading camping / hunting trip Bioguide. You do a great job of letting the viewer enjoy the experiences you have had in the great Adirondacks and show some of the small details that would otherwise go unmentioned. Good luck on your return. Hope you bag that mature buck in your area!!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #42
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Very nice video of your Muzzle loading camping / hunting trip Bioguide. You do a great job of letting the viewer enjoy the experiences you have had in the great Adirondacks and show some of the small details that would otherwise go unmentioned. Good luck on your return. Hope you bag that mature buck in your area!!
Thanks Stillhunter. I'm learning all the time and had I only kept "still while hunting" my way out I might have seen those two I spooked before they saw me. Good luck to you on your hunts as well. Cheers
Old 10-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #43
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Congratulations to the Iron Sights on your early season success. Two fine looking bucks. Any stories? Drives, stillhunt, type of cover, range of shots... as we all know hunters love to hear the story.
We're primarily drive hunters.This mountain has been good to us. We kicked the smaller-racked buck (which is 50-pounds heavier than the big-racked buck) past the young hunter (in the middle) earlier in the day but he didn't get a shot at him. So, we did a wrap-around back towards the same watch line. A long walk for us drivers but it worked. The smaller buck was jumped by one of the drivers who dispatched him. The shooting got some deer moving and the next thing you know the other guy's shooting. Yet another guy shot at a spike and missed, which is funny because even another guy passed on that spike twice. It was some serious dragging but we got them out. We consider ourselves pretty lucky.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #44
skillzman1

Epic hunting day I say!! Nice work. Looking forward to getting out this coming weekend with the family crew myself.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #45
Stillhunter

Thanks for sharing the story. Must have been a very fun and satisfying day to get two nice bucks and have additional opportunities. Very memorable for sure. Open sights are great for that kind of fast action. Congratulations to you and the entire gang!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #46
bobadkhunter

Congrats to Dan L. and the iron sights guys.... very nice bucks . and to the others on this thread who have harvested a deer. Been seeing some good sign and a few does, hopefully just a matter of time.
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #47
chaser
pond jockey

I spent 3 nights into our tent camp. Went in Thursday before the storm. Hunted snow all weekend, tracked 2 bucks to their bed and got busted each time and couldn't catch up to them in pursuit. Had a blast. Only found one scrape after the storm? Just not happening in my area yet, plenty of rubs but lack of scrapes. Snow was melting fast. I'm headed up again for one night tomorrow and back up for the weekend.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 AM   #48
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser View Post
I spent 3 nights into our tent camp.
Nice to hear the stories. I would enjoy seeing your camp set up Chaser if you happen to have any pics you'd be willing to post?
Old 10-31-2016, 09:02 AM   #49
bioguide

On a similar note: Robin posted, on his forum (canoetripping.net), a really nice picture of a buck being carried out of Lows Lake a couple of weeks ago.

Here is the link and photo (Robin I hope you don't mind):

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/...dirondack-buck

Old 10-31-2016, 03:48 PM   #50
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
On a similar note: Robin posted, on his forum (canoetripping.net), a really nice picture of a buck being carried out of Lows Lake a couple of weeks ago.

Here is the link and photo (Robin I hope you don't mind):

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/...dirondack-buck

Classic!!!!
Thanks
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:49 PM   #51
IndLk_Brett

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Beautiful picture!
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:35 PM   #52
skillzman1

looks like a painting!!
Old 10-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #53
ADKpikebuster

So there I was, fish on the mind but my fingers wouldn't work anymore, so I decided to hunt so I started out duckin in and out of the brush pushing my way through the woods. This is one of those buck stories that you just would have had to been there to believe it, I was the only one there so you'll just have to take my word for it. I knew that it was my day i had that itch, yah know? That tingling in my spine that told me that I was gonna bag me a buck on this fine day, so no sh!t there I was, on da trail of a monster not yet knowing where he might be but knowin he was there. So there I was in the brush really getting into the hunt, and then all of a sudden there he was 😳 Stood about 7 foot tall and had at least a 3 foot spread so I rubbed my eyes a few times and I thought to myself holy jeez there he is da monster of da woods, I was thinkin jeez I gotta lay off the supperior beer (Busch Light) but then I realized that I wasn't even drunk (not yet) so there I was sober as a stone staring face to face with monster (which Upon closer inspection I discovered to be a moose), then I realized that this here moose was a sign sent from the almighty himself I realized that I needed to follow this here moose, I was destined to bag me a buck and he was gonna lead me to it. So I followed this critter for a while to the place where I knew I was gonna bag me a buck. Then there he was starring me in the hairy eye ball all horns and nuts. So I leveled the ol frog popper on his front shoulder and put him in a heap right there. And that's the story behind that photo, believe it or not that's how it happened

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:38 PM   #54
ADKpikebuster

here are some more pics from the trip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lows lake 1.jpg (7.9 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg lows lake moose.jpg (157 Bytes, 217 views)
File Type: jpg lows lake.jpg (13.0 KB, 214 views)

Old 10-31-2016, 09:07 PM   #55
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
And that's the story behind that photo, believe it or not that's how it happened
Congratulations AKDpikebuster. I enjoyed the story and I hope you didn't mind the posting of the photo. Cheers.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:38 PM   #56
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post

…man do I miss Mitch Hedberg.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #57
chaser
pond jockey

Nice buck AdkPike, that pic is incredible
Old 10-31-2016, 09:45 PM   #58
ADKpikebuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguide View Post
Congratulations AKDpikebuster. I enjoyed the story and I hope you didn't mind the posting of the photo. Cheers.
No problem at all, I have a few pics of that moose I'll have to post

Old 11-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #59
Stillhunter

ADKpikebuster... that is a classic photo of the buck being carried to the waters edge by game pole. Could be right out of an AF Tait classic Adirondack painting. Very well composed photo. Thanks for sharing the short story as well. Are you in the picture or were you taking it? Looks like a couple of strong young hunters to carry that big buck with this method. Thanks for sharing. It is inspirational.

(On a separate update - I was able to hunt for 2 days late last week on rapidly melting snow and on and off rain on Saturday. Saw 1 doe up close and plenty of good sign in the areas I hunted. Good luck to everyone).
Old 11-01-2016, 03:14 PM   #60
Buckladd

Congrats ADKPB on a fine hunt and, yes, that is a fantastic picture.

We had some more luck this weekend, including our young hunter, age 17, getting his first ADK buck. It was a fat 4-pointer and this kid is on Cloud 9. I haven't downloaded the photos yet but I will. It was a great experience for our entire crew, but especially for him and his father.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote