Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
bridgeman

Rod and Reel Suggestions

I made reservations for a first time 4 day canoe trip in Algonquin Park mid May. I plan on fishing as much as time allows. Mainly targeting Lakers and Brookies.

My question. If I could only bring one all purpose rod and both fly and spinning reels, what would be your suggestion. I plan on some light trolling for lakers and casting the shores and streams for brookies using a variety of lures and flies.

Thanks for your input.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
adkman12986

Love my Fenwick
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
wildbrookies

bridgeman,
Well, maybe VT and some other fly trollers might be able to help with the size/weight of the fly rod and what types of lines you would need to troll for trout. I did troll for trout years ago in my Raddisson canoe and used a 6 ft sink tip attached to my WF Floating 6 wt. fly line to get the flies down(that can be removed for stream flyfishing if needed).But, some of the guys on this forum have it down to a science, but many are float tuber trollers.Hopefully ,you`ll get a response from them.

As for spinning reel/rod for both streams and trolling, I think a graphite or fiberglass rod in 6 foot length and a good reel (the more ball bearings the better) with 4-6 lb. test would be fine. Trolling the ol` wobbler and worm is always pretty productive. Hope this helps alittle .Hoping more will chime in to help you out too. Good luck! Sounds like a great trip!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
wildbrookies

Oh, yes to adkman, Fenwicks and Ugly sticks work great.I have an old Shakespear Wonderrod I love for trolling with a wobbler. And also I use an old Eagle Claw fiberglass rod that can be switched from fly rod to spinning rod is very helpful in that manner and it is a 4 pc. for backpacking.Not sure they sell them anymore.Might find them on ebay.

And as for the fly reel ,for trolling ,one that has a pretty good adjustable drag will help.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 02-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #5
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
bridgeman,
Well, maybe VT and some other fly trollers ...

WB
TROLLING??? WB, are you channeling Glen??? My reputation in these parts is now completely ruined.

bridgeman, just in asking the question you know that either direction you go will be a compromise. I've been to some of those Algonquin lakes. They can be fantastically good in the Spring and Autumn. If I were in your shoes I'd buy a Fenwick 8 foot 6 weight fly rod. It will do very well casting flies, of course. It will also cast small weighted lures acceptably. This is a much better compromise than going the opposite direction - a spinning rod isn't going to cast flies at all.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #6
wildbrookies

OOppss!! Sorry VT...I meant ,I thought you guys trolled in your float tubes sometimes with flies in the ponds. I hope I didn't reopen that old can of worms again. Literally! I didn't mention you used a spinning rod when float tubing but... HaHa!!

WB
Old 02-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
Lucky13

If you can swing a 9 foot six weight, it will be easier to cast from a canoe, and should still work with a spinning reel, maybe taped to the handle. A full sinking line is nice if you have to get deep trolling, and if you want to cast it, a 9 footer helps keep it away from your ears!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #8
GRGS

I would bring two rods just incase you happen to break one.
GRGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
cutbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
bridgeman,
As for spinning reel/rod for both streams and trolling, I think a graphite or fiberglass rod in 6 foot length and a good reel (the more ball bearings the better) with 4-6 lb. test would be fine.!
WB
Generally agree with the above - a good 6 or 6'6" light or ultralight spinning rod will be good. You can get a quality 2 piece rod that will serve you well.
Also a good smooth reel, with a good drag. The more ball bearings the better is not a universal truth - a Shimano Stradic or Diawa Fuego or Tatula have 3 or 4 bearings less than many $50 reels but are far superior in performance. The Shimano Sedona only has 4 bearings total. Just get a good reel.

If you only take one rod you can still cast flies with a spinning outfit, just get a casting bubble and use monofilament line
cutbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #10
Prometheus
Adrift

The Eagle Claw Trailmaster spin/fly 7'6" 4 piece is surprisingly good for the $60. As a fly rod; I found it did well with a WF5F. For spinning it's more of a light action and bends nicely when fighting a fish. For a spinning reel I think I have a Shimano Sienna 1000 size. The fly reel is a poly Cahill (?) from amazon for about $10; essentially just a line holder.

For all the nay sayers; I have a couple of the Trailmasters; they're decent for travel rods. Not nearly as sensitive as my Dobyns Champion; they don't cost that much either.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #11
thyer

Caution and warning on the Shimano Sedona. They may have fixed the issue but I bought a whole bunch more Sedona's because I absolutely love the 1st gen one I bought many years ago. However all the new ones I bought suffer from a random stickiness in the bearings which comes and goes depending on weather and damp conditions. Damp as in while fishing. My only relief is to dunk the entire real into the water which helps for a few retrieves. At one sportsman show I finally found a Shimano rep that acknowledge the issue but basically I would have to pay for the shipping and repair which has turned my preference from always Shimano to last choice Shimano. I don't reward poor performance with more of my dollars.
thyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #12
cutbait

thyer - I was not endorsing the Sedona, probably a bad example to make my point about more bearings not always equal to better quality. I'm less of a Shimano guy myself these days, as they are eliminating the anti reverse switch on spinning reels. I prefer Diawa reels, however, there are many good reels made by other brands including Shimano.
cutbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:15 AM   #13
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

" This is a much better compromise than going the opposite direction - a spinning rod isn't going to cast flies at all."

I agree with your recommendations but it is possible to cast flies with a spinning rod and reel although it will never replace genuine fly fishing.

The longer the rod the better. Attach a round bobber as far down to the rod tip as you can. Tie your fly or mini popper. Cast out. The weight of the bobber will take the rig out fairly decently. The bobber will hit first and the fly will settle next. Yes I have caught fish this way, especially when there was no room to cast overhead with fly rod gear. Once I used a huge red and white bobber. A gargantuan LM Bass hit the 3inch bobber then spit it out. Go figure.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #14
EagleEd

Bobber w/Fly

I use the same combination on Moreau Lake in the fall each year and the rainbows gobble up my #14 Adams dry fly. One guy in a kayak uses a 1/8 oz. jig with a 2" strip of herring to get his rainbows.

Eagle Ed
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #15
Edb 46 er

Ugly Stik Elite 7 foot, medium. Like some say the more bearings the better as for reels.

I think for fly rods I would bring what you have, the stiffer the better. But choose a sinking intermediate line and a bunch of GREY GHOST Streamers.