Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 12:36 PM   #1
Nehasane

Red Squirrels

I seem to see & hear much less red squirrels in the Adirondacks lately - is something going on?
Is it just me - I've been spending more time below 1,500' lately but I've been higher too.
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:13 PM   #2
bluequill

Same here. We live at about 1500'. Last year we were overrun with the little rascals but not one has shown it's face this season. Same with the chipmunks although a couple have been seen. It could be predators. I saw a fisher in the early summer and our dog is often running into the woods barking up a storm. Our garden has been void of the usual culprits too.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:23 PM   #3
webby459

+another. Same spots this year as last year, but thus far have seen no red squirrels nor chipmunks. Still seeing chipmunks at home (Southern Saratoga county) but maybe fewer grey squirrels.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:34 PM   #4
bioguide

"The Red Squirrel is abundant and of little conservation concern throughout most of its range. However, since the conifers on which they feed produce seeds in approximately 3-5 year cycles, squirrel populations fluctuate in response to these seed and cone production cycles. When their target food sources produce a large “cone mast,” squirrel populations increase. Since squirrels are also important avian nest predators, when squirrel abundance is high, nestling survivorship may be low for several songbirds within the squirrel’s range. In montane forests of the North- east, prey items include eggs and nestlings of the Bicknell’s Thrush, a species of high conservation concern."

https://vtecostudies.org/wildlife/mammals/red-squirrel/