Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
Hoser

Question Gaiters (primary Winter but all season)

What type/brand of gaiters are recommended for Winter, but can also be used during other seasons when conditions warrant? Recommended brands? EMS vs Name Brand?

I will have to stop at EMS, Mountaineer, LP outfitters/shops. Anyone use Outdoor Research Flex-Tex II? Seems cheap....too cheap? Heard too stiff also.

Primary use is Winter on most likely a broken trail not fresh power on herd path.

Thanks!
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
Wldrns

I use the same mid-weight OR gaiters all year, all 4 seasons, many years old, unsure of the exact version name. Velcro front closure, Gore-Tex lower third covering my boots, mid-weight flexible nylon upper (spray with water repellent) with an above the calf strap. Great in Winter for obvious reasons. In summer they keep bushwhack crud and debris out of my boots, work well in wet grass to keep pants dry, and in recent years they are my tick protectors. I call gaiters my one-steppers, allowing me to make a quick one step in water across streams or deep puddles without allowing water to flow into my boots or pants. They keep my feet and legs dry. I've worn the same pair for several years and they are definitely showing their age. Although I have a second back-up pair, I have not yet seen the need to retire the originals.

Last edited by Wldrns; 09-20-2018 at 11:21 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Hoser

Great point on the ticks. I no longer hike in shorts and do see gaiters as helping even further. Probably the scariest critter in the NE woods.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
SyrMatt

I use a pair of Berghaus military super gaiters. I've had them for 16 years now, and will buy again when these wear out.
SyrMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
geogymn

I have several pair. My favorite were made by LL Bean but no longer made. I have a couple of slim pairs for when I wear light pants and an oversize EMS pair to fit over my woolies during a cold hunt. I also have two pair on ankle gaiters for the summer, always keep a pair in the truck.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
muller_jim

I use Outdoor Research Crocodiles year round. During tick season I spray them with Sawyer Permethrin as a repellent
muller_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #7
TCD

Lots of choices out there for summer or winter.

Flex Tex II sucks. I have a pair, because my original flex tex wore out, and only the "II" was available.

OR F'ed up the design in several ways, and doubled the price.

If you are looking for a summer scree gaiter, keep shopping; DO NOT buy the Flex Tex II.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #8
Hear the Footsteps

For winter

I wore out a pair of OR Crocodiles.

Then I bought OR Expedition Crocodiles which uses heavier material. These lasted longer. I've had to patch these.

My ankles seem to collide-rub and that's where my gaiters wear out.
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Flex Tex II sucks. I have a pair, because my original flex tex wore out, and only the "II" was available.

OR F'ed up the design in several ways, and doubled the price.

If you are looking for a summer scree gaiter, keep shopping; DO NOT buy the Flex Tex II.
I second this. I bought a pair of Flex Tex II to replace my Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Low Gaiters. I did not like the Flex Texs at all. I used them 3 times and each time I had a ton of small crap still make its way into my socks and shoes. The top part almost acts like a funnel the way it has the elastic cord in it.

The Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Low Gaiters worked well for most of my needs and I'd recommend them for an all around low gaiter. I ended up replacing them with the Simblissity Levagaiter for warm weather use. I wanted something lightweight, breathable, and comfortable but still wanted to be able to take them on/off without taking my shoes off. They've worked fantastically so far.

I also have a pair of Outdoor Research Verglas gaiters for winter or any other time I need high gaiters.
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
JohnnyVirgil

L.L. Bean gaiters here. Calf-high, gortex membrane, elastic top, full zippered sides with velcro flap. I like them because they open up fully and zip closed so you can take them off and put them on easily. Some kind of reinforced rubber buckle strap for your boot instep. Good in winter, and in the wet. A little hot in the summer. I'm not sure if that's just the nature of gaiters, or because they are black and absorb sunlight and/or don't breathe all that great. They are the only pair I've ever owned. Other than a gortex patch or two, they are still kicking.

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 09-20-2018 at 11:19 AM..
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #11
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuterocky View Post
I ended up replacing them with the Simblissity Levagaiter for warm weather use. I wanted something lightweight, breathable, and comfortable but still wanted to be able to take them on/off without taking my shoes off. They've worked fantastically so far.
Thanks for the recommendation! I've been looking for something to replace the FlexTexII.

I see that they are temporarily out of stock, but I plan to order a pair when they are back in.

One thing I cannot tell from the website photos: does the lace hook face down (like it should) or up? Maybe you can tell me. (Some manufacturers have the lace hook facing up, which works very poorly and fills the hook with debris when bushwhacking...)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
IndLk_Brett

For summer use I find Dirty Girl Gaiters hard to beat. They do a great job and are fairly cheap.

Great, lightweight material and a simple, yet effective attachment system.

(And no, they're not just for women.. )
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #13
TCD

Yeah, I looked at DG; I know other folks that have them. But their website is impossible to navigate; it's just a ****storm of image advertising, with almost no actual product information. The one informative thing I could find on their site made it look like you have to glue Velcro on the heels of your shoes to keep the gaiters down. Is that true?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #14
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Yeah, I looked at DG; I know other folks that have them. But their website is impossible to navigate; it's just a ****storm of image advertising, with almost no actual product information. The one informative thing I could find on their site made it look like you have to glue Velcro on the heels of your shoes to keep the gaiters down. Is that true?
I agree, site isn't great even if the product is. As you said, lots of images and it's the type of site you might have seen ten years ago.

And, no you don't have to glue the velco onto the back of your shoe in order to use the gaiters, but it does help if you do.

They will work fine without doing it, but putting the little patch on does more securely attach the backs so they stay right where they should.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #15
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
One thing I cannot tell from the website photos: does the lace hook face down (like it should) or up? Maybe you can tell me. (Some manufacturers have the lace hook facing up, which works very poorly and fills the hook with debris when bushwhacking...)
Technically the hook faces up. However, I don't think there would be any issues with wearing them inside out so that the hook would then face down. I've accidentally put them on this way before and worn them for the day before realizing it. They don't show it but the hook is also adjustable so you can kind of pull it up underneath the fabric if that's what works best for your footwear. (I can take a pic when I get home if you'd like). I think that might also help with your issue when bushwacking

They seem to be pretty similar to Dirty Girl gaiters except for the addition of the velcro on the front to be able to take them on/off without taking your shoes off. They also do not need the velcro glued to your shoe. I was a little concerned they would slip up off the heel of my shoes without velcro or something but so far no issues!

You might have luck emailing the owner of the website and requesting a pair. I waited over a year for them to come back in stock but have heard that some people had luck emailing and requesting them specifically. It's a small, one man show.
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #16
Blackflie

I use a pair of vintage canvas gaiters, zippered at the back, a web strap under the boot and a simple hook to engage on laces. I suspect they are by Berghaus.

Not a lot of help I am afraid.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #17
Hoser

Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Low Gaiters may be my choice based on ability to use multi-season, lighter weight, good for winter when used with snowshoes, and of course cost without lose of quality. Thanks for all the feedback and direction!
Old 09-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
Jnol

I like my OR Teck IIs for warm weather. They stay up really well, donít balloon out and I can adjust snug or a little gap for air flow. I just hiked 7 hrs in mild rain and lots of mud and socks were dry and dirt/mud-free.

The OR wrappids have very thin Velcro that became useless after a few hundred miles. And they barely fit over my Asolo TPS boots. Avoid the Wrappids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #19
mike7575

I am thinking about getting gators. My question is the or rock mountain gators have elastic around the bottoms and atap that kinda double closes the bottom and the or verglas doesn't have either but seems to have a stronger material. Which one keeps snow out better? Thanks for your help.
mike7575 is offline   Reply With Quote