Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
Jules

Question Wanakena put in

Doing a fall kayak / camping trip on Cranberry Lake and want to put in at Wanakena instead of the public launch on Columbian Rd. Has anyone used the Wanakena launch recently? And can you leave a vehicle there for a few days? I know it's on private land and have read conflicting information on this. Thanks!
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Wanakena put in

The water level on cranberry is down about 2 feet. Depending on type of craft you might want to reconsider Columbian Rd. That said there is limited parking in Wanakena on Ranger School Rd.Obey any signs and be courteous. Check with the Pinecone Grill for their suggestions . Or If you launch at the village beach on Front Street in Wanakena you are a 5 minute walk to the hiking trailhead parking lot on South Shore Rd near the tennis courts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Wanakena put in

Jules kayaks will be fine. Missed that in your first sentence.

Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
Jules

Thanks for the info Chairrock! We usually put in at Columbian Road, but want to try something different. Plus I hear there are some good primitive sites on Dead Creek Flow. We are fans of Joe Indian Isle because of it's remoteness, but it sometimes is a bear paddling thru the he high wind area. Last time, we had white caps crashing over the boats and the winds were pushing us north significantly. I did contact Suzie at Pine Cone and she is going to show us where to store the truck so the neighbors in Wanakena won't have fit. Do you recommend any good, private primitive camp sites (besides Joe Indian) there?
Old 09-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
madison

Every time I've camped at Joe Indian Island (at least while paddling) I've launched from Wanakena. It's less than a 2 hour paddle to Joe Indian and you avoid much of the open water that way. Never had a problem launching from the public site next to the pinecone grill, or with leaving my car there.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
Jules

Hey Madison, that is good to know. That paddle from Columbian sometimes took 3 hours if the winds were unbearable. I see you take your dog out with you...that is awesome. I have a German Shepherd rescue that I am trying to acclimate to water travel and camping. Any suggestions as where a good dog camping area would be?
Old 09-10-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Wanakena put in

We are glad you spoke to Susie. They are nice ppl at the Pinecone. Depending on the wind any arm of Cranberry can be 'exciting '! Most of the sites on DCF see a fair amount of use during peak summer . Black Duck hole is probably most sheltered if very windy. Janacks most used and busy with trailhead to Cat Mt. Enjoy and we hope the weather holds for you!

Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
Old 09-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
madison

Jules, Where you are going is a pretty good place to camp with your dog, provided he/she doesn't mind sitting in a canoe for a couple of hours. Mine has been doing it for almost 8 years, so she knows the drill.

Once you get to the top of the Oswegatchie arm, you might still experience some chop if the winds are coming out of the north/northwest/west. Still nothing like out on the main body of the lake though. Generally, I stay to the southern part of the lake when paddling. It's more sheltered and there is less development. You do miss out on brandybrook flow that way, though, which is pretty nice. Saw an otter in there many years years ago.

I think you'll enjoy camping on Dead Creek Flow. Most of the sites are pretty nice, and it will be relatively quiet this time of year.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote