Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #21
EagleCrag

So who can do genetic testing to get to the bottom of this?
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:09 PM   #22
MarqueKugs
Catch, Release, Repeat

I found out what it is! Dr. John Foster at SUNY Cobleskill Aquaculture viewed the photo and told me it is a mutant brook trout called a "Blue Morph." The odds of its occurrence are 1 in a billion! This same mutation occurs more prevalently in crustaceans such as the freshwater blue lobster.

I am very blessed...

Last edited by MarqueKugs; 05-31-2014 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: punctuation
MarqueKugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:07 AM   #23
Gman

That wraps it up in a nice neat bow but ..not convinced.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #24
MarqueKugs
Catch, Release, Repeat

To quote Dr. John Foster:

"Hi Mark, the fish is a blue morph (mutant) brook trout. Blue morphs are relatively common with most trout/salmon species, lobsters, crayfish etc. Your fish is probably one in a billion! In some species like rainbow trout and Arctic char this morph occurs more frequently. I have tried to grow the brook trout blue morph in the past but it does not grow or survive as well as it's normally colored brothers and sisters. However we do have a strain of blue lobsters that are doing reasonably well in our hatchery.
I hope this helps."

I'm convinced.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #25
RichieC

Were you near any heritage trout places… i realize you are being careful in not revealing it. But this was my first thought.

i.e.; Tamarac pond off of Big Deer/Lows Lake once held a heritage strain- though I don't know if they looked any different or it was just in their genetics. Back in early 90's, we watched them attempt to lime it, much to the loss of our wilderness experience, a large helicopter drag a huge crucible underneath it, the lime powder looking like it was on fire from the "smoke" leaking out of it. Trip after trip after trip! LOL. We also had an A-10 fly level to us when we climbed Grass Pond lookout… was a cool trip now that I think about it. WE had the entire lake to ourselves- never saw another soul, and this was late in June. Anyways, back to Tamarac… I heard later it was lost, the heritage trout, stuck there since the last ice age, or whenever- 1000's of years in any case… gone forever. …. bummer.

But a few others do still remain- I know of at least one.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #26
MarqueKugs
Catch, Release, Repeat

The stream is said to contain a native population of brook trout, although myself and Gmorin can attest to them being few and far between.

I have shared the story with TU as it turns out an old friend of mine caught and photographed the same fish (having never seen anything like it)! Proof that catch and release works!

If it is in fact a "Blue Morph," then two people at different times (same plunge pool) caught a one in a billion fish and had the wherewithal to photograph it!

TU is currently working with DEC Fisheries Biologists to investigate further.

More to come,

Mark-
Old 06-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #27
MarqueKugs
Catch, Release, Repeat

Saratoga County is really all the information one would require to figure out the stream.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #28
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueKugs View Post
The stream is said to contain a native population of brook trout, although myself and Gmorin can attest to them being few and far between.

I have shared the story with TU as it turns out an old friend of mine caught and photographed the same fish (having never seen anything like it)! Proof that catch and release works!

If it is in fact a "Blue Morph," then two people at different times (same plunge pool) caught a one in a billion fish and had the wherewithal to photograph it!

More to come,

Mark-
That's fairly fantastic! The drama thickens! I'll stay tuned!
Old 06-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #29
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueKugs View Post

More to come,

Mark-
Any blue lobsters in that pool? I'm hungry!

On a (more) serious note, kudos to you for putting the little fellow back and investigating his lineage. I hope he makes it past the hordes of catch and keep everything anglers.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #30
bigspencer

...Will add another spin into it, how about a splake/tiger mix..?(I tried;-))
You all know getting someone at a hatchery to admit to a Frankenstein is like getting Congressional people to admit taking Saudi_$$$ under the table.
SteveD
bigspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #31
Epic

Hi All- new to the forum. Interesting thread; and while I cannot help with the identification, I can confirm more of these are about. I love a good walkabout for trout and we got a few like this in the Siamese Pond Outlet brook last year- just outside the pond 200-300 ft.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brook trout, native, strain, trout