Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Ice In???

I'm fairly new, and excited, to paddling up north, and I know in the spring we always see posts about ice-out, and when we start putting boats in the water again. Well, what I want to ask is the opposite...when do folks typically put their boats away for the winter? I'll be moving soon to inside the Blue Line, but not until November 1st, and think I'll probably be putting the boats away upon moving, but maybe not...thanks for your insights.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

Congrats on the move. I'm very jealous!

Some people paddle right up until the water literally does have ice on it. Def late Nov/early Dec. Lots of people paddling in Nov for big game season. The thing you really have to be aware of is, like in spring, how cold the water is. It gets to be unpleasant to get in and out of a canoe without waders/boots in October. After that it gets dangerous.

Not sure what you're paddling but one thing to consider even when flatwater paddling in cold temps is a wet suit, or partial. I typically just wear the socks/waders and hope I don't go in. This is the minimum IME to get in and out, unless you are using a dock...

If you get a chance I def recommend going to some of the popular areas at that time... Lows, Lila, SRCA... they tend to be dead except for hunters. The biggest problem in getting out in a boat seems to be the weather. Lots of cold rain in Nov usually.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Congrats on the move. I'm very jealous!
Thanks - we're very excited to be moving from Rochester to Schroon Lake...can't wait to be up there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Not sure what you're paddling but one thing to consider even when flatwater paddling in cold temps is a wet suit, or partial. I typically just wear the socks/waders and hope I don't go in. This is the minimum IME to get in and out, unless you are using a dock...
I have a 15' Hornbeck New Trick...I don't have a dry suit (yet?) but I do have a wetsuit, assuming it still fits! I do have neoprene boots, so at the absolute least that allows me to get in and out without freezing, but it doesn't solve the issue with the possibility of going over.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

A few years ago I was paddling Bear Lake in the Black River WF in December. Ice was just coming in.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
Buckladd

I've paddled every month of the year. That said, Schroon Lake and surrounding ponds are some of the first to ice over. You can follow the progress here:
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishin...php?board=16.0
Old 09-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #6
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I've paddled every month of the year. That said, Schroon Lake and surrounding ponds are some of the first to ice over. You can follow the progress here:
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishin...php?board=16.0
Great link...thanks. I understand Schroon Lake is a pretty good ice fishing spot...guess Ill have to try my hand at it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:55 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

A couple buddies & I usually do a Crane trip in Nov. Even snuck in a warm Cedar River Flow trip the week before Xmas a couple years ago.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
richard1726

During the First few weeks of November first ice Formation can be predicted by observing air temperatures. Day trip ice will never be much of a problem, ice free in morning ice free day.
With Over night canoe camping I watch for temps below 10F with below freezing day time temps. Several years ago on a two night canoe camping adventure, temps dipped below 5F on the Oswegachie. I ended up poling my way out generally on top of the ice with my 11 foot metal spiked pole and 17 foot canoe. It would have been more difficult with two people, the canoe would have been heavy enough to break through the ice. With my pole I slid fairly easily on top of the ice. Travel light, watch the temps, and have a lightweight spiked pole. I would have gotten no-where in a kayak.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #9
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1726 View Post
During the First few weeks of November first ice Formation can be predicted by observing air temperatures. Day trip ice will never be much of a problem, ice free in morning ice free day.
With Over night canoe camping I watch for temps below 10F with below freezing day time temps. Several years ago on a two night canoe camping adventure, temps dipped below 5F on the Oswegachie. I ended up poling my way out generally on top of the ice with my 11 foot metal spiked pole and 17 foot canoe. It would have been more difficult with two people, the canoe would have been heavy enough to break through the ice. With my pole I slid fairly easily on top of the ice. Travel light, watch the temps, and have a lightweight spiked pole. I would have gotten no-where in a kayak.
God, I can just imagine what that must have sounded like. I hope you didn't have a fancy canoe!
JohnnyVirgil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Great link...thanks. I understand Schroon Lake is a pretty good ice fishing spot...guess Ill have to try my hand at it.
Very good, and the tournament the first weekend in March is a hoot! If you like to ice fish, you'll be in a good area.

As for early ice stories, we often use a boat in one of our hunting areas to get deer out, when possible. Last year we dragged a small buck down the ice in early December. Some years we're breaking ice in Mid-November with the oars, or have to bag it all together and go around. Elevation, 1600 -ft.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:57 PM   #11
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

My gang did a trip mid October to the Essex chain lakes
We had to wait until 10:00 AM for the ice to be breakable

Did a day trip to Wolf Pond with a buddy the day after Thanksgiving. It was abnormally warm for a few days.
Going upstream there was skim ice that crinkled and cracked behind us as our waves spread out behind us. Very cool, I can still hear the soft tinkle tinkle tinkles.
Wolf Pond, however, was walkable!!
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:14 AM   #12
suescanal

Cellophane ice became thicker one November on the St Regis River. I felt like Charlie Chaplin maintaining his balance-a little creepy in our Grumman. Ice formed a necklace around the shore.
suescanal is offline   Reply With Quote