Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
KIMPDOG
Don't burn the day

Moose river plains, sleepless night, "creature"

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had an issue while camping in moose river plains..... I went camping in a remote site, basically had an "animal" that was hanging out just behind the thick brush surrounding the camp. It hung around and made loud thump noises ( 3 loud thump noises at a time( thump thump thump)). It stayed within 20-25 feet of the camp from about 10 PM till about 5 am. Three times throughout the night it sprinted infront of the tent (we were inside laying down), we had a rock the size of a softball tossed against the tent, had a log about a foot long and four inches around (piece of our firewood) tossed at the tent, it came wishing feet of us about 10:30 PM while we were sitting at the fire, I got up to grab a bag of peanuts from the chuckbox and it ran back in the thick brush..... It wasn't a small "animal" because of how loud re thumps were. It couldn't have been any scavenger because nothing was disturbed at camp(even the trash bag full of two days of camping trash wasn't touched). When it ran away from us when I stood up it only took a few steps back and stopped. I feel like it watched us and teased us allllllllllllllll night long. I've camped literally hundreds of times and have had many experiences with various animals. I'm headed back up this weekend with some inferred deer cams and recorders to see if it'll come back. Has anyone else had a similar experience in moose river plains? Or does anyone know of a large animal that could make loud noises ( like a 15 pound rock being pounded on the ground) and would hang out for 6 -8 hours without leaving? I'm stumped and confused. Any insight would be nice.

Thank you
KIMPDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Adk Keith
Telemarker

All that and it left no tracks?

Sounds like a deer stomping and running around.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Glen
Check please

How much did you drink?
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
cityboy

Bigfoot has been known to throw rocks and make thumping sounds. Look for tracks or hair on brush.

Of course Humans can do the same kind of things for a joke.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Jackson

Please let us know how the trail cams turn out. I sent you an email, too, fyi.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
KIMPDOG
Don't burn the day

Haha, I only had a couple beers, I found one noticeable track on a large rock that was covered in moss. Looked like a large footprint that jumped from the rock. I didn't find any hair. My only thought was it is a deer but every time I have heard a deer stomp it was followed by a grunt or snort, and I've never seen a deer stick around for that long....
Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
KIMPDOG
Don't burn the day

Will do jackson!
Old 07-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #8
cityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMPDOG View Post
Haha, I only had a couple beers, I found one noticeable track on a large rock that was covered in moss. Looked like a large footprint that jumped from the rock. I didn't find any hair. My only thought was it is a deer but every time I have heard a deer stomp it was followed by a grunt or snort, and I've never seen a deer stick around for that long....
Only Primates throw things. Either you've had the experience of a lifetime or you are pulling our legs. If you are serious you should report it to BFRO.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
KIMPDOG
Don't burn the day

Im definitely not pulling your leg cityboy
Old 07-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
Vinegar

The first question is who put the "bigfoot" tag on this thread, we can work backward from there...
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
KIMPDOG
Don't burn the day

Vinegar,

I did, work backwards all you want, I'm curious if anyone else has had any weird things happen!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
Brookie hunter

Probably just some kids messing around. A simple souloution would have been to walk over with a flashlight and a shotgun.
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
EagleCrag

You must have slept really sound. That was quite a dream.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #14
cityboy

Kimpdog, in the history and folklore sub-section there is a thread on Page 3 called Adk monsters. A member Lute Hawkins mentions the Moose River Plains and some strange experiences there. Not sure if this helps.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #15
fintastic

Sounds primate-ish, if it is tossing objects at your tent, unless deer or beavers have recently developed this skill. Any thoughts about someone perhaps having set their pet chimpanzee free in the woods? Just a thought.....
fintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #16
Dinner by the Pound

Repeat the Camping Experience

I have a friend who firmly believes in buying a bag of McDonald hamburgers. Burgers are placed around the camp perimeter as you would lay a long rope to ward off snakes. Sit quietly as you drink through the late night hours enjoying your favorite brew and chowing down a chunk of fire-roasted Spam. If the experience repeats itself, please contact me. I would like to check it out myself. It's definitely not Bob the Bear or Harold the Moose. You didn't say where you were camping. That could help narrow the mystery down. Were you near the Red river? Little Plains? Big Plains? Otter Brook? Lost
Ponds? Mt. Tom? Mitchell Ponds? I might be able to help you. Ive been camping in the Plains for 40 years. If you were near Ice House Pond, I suspect you experienced the musings of long departed Fred Hynes. Seriously!!!! See the new book ADIRONDACK MEMORIES and
CAMPFIRE STORIES. There is a photo of his gravestone taken before it was destroyed in the 1890s. Wellington Kenwell later placed a small marble marker at the site but that too was destroyed in the 1950s during logging operations. Know you are not the first person to have this experience.
Dinner by the Pound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #17
Dinner by the Pound

Repeat the Camping Experience

I have a friend who firmly believes in buying a bag of McDonald hamburgers. Burgers are placed around the camp perimeter as you would lay a long rope to ward off snakes. Sit quietly as you drink through the late night hours enjoying your favorite brew and chowing down a chunk of fire-roasted Spam. If the experience repeats itself, please contact me. I would like to check it out myself. It's definitely not Bob the Bear or Harold the Moose. You didn't say where you were camping. That could help narrow the mystery down. Were you near the Red river? Little Plains? Big Plains? Otter Brook? Lost
Ponds? Mt. Tom? Mitchell Ponds? I might be able to help you. Ive been camping in the Plains for 40 years. If you were near Ice House Pond, I suspect you experienced the musings of long departed Fred Hynes. Seriously!!!! See the new book ADIRONDACK MEMORIES and
CAMPFIRE STORIES. There is a photo of his gravestone taken before it was destroyed in the 1890s. Wellington Kenwell later placed a small marble marker at the site but that too was destroyed in the 1950s during logging operations. Know you are not the first person to have this experience.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #18
Dinner by the Pound

Oh, that new book can also be seen at www.adkwilds.com
Old 07-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
streamfish

Could it possibly be.... Man Bear Pig?
streamfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #20
cityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamfish View Post
Could it possibly be.... Man Bear Pig?
Is that the one that's half man, half pig, and half bear?

You don't think Kimpdog is Al Gore do you?

Tags
animals, bigfoot, camping, moose river plains, noises