Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Edelweiss

Backpack for Photography Equipment

I'm trying to find a backpack which I can use on photography hikes/outings. I've been looking at Lowepro packs and found THIS , a Fastpack 350, on eBags.com. Has anybody heard of or used this pack? Does anyone have any suggestions about camera backpacks I should investigate? I'm looking for a pack which gives me easy access to my camera and equipment without taking the pack off each time I want to take a photo. I also would like some storage for things like water, lunch, bug dope etc., and maybe a rain jacket (that's probably asking too much).
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Edelweiss
ADK46er #5438; CAT3500 #1745; CL50 #98; NPT Finisher
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
I'm trying to find a backpack which I can use on photography hikes/outings. I've been looking at Lowepro packs and found THIS , a Fastpack 350, on eBags.com. Has anybody heard of or used this pack? Does anyone have any suggestions about camera backpacks I should investigate? I'm looking for a pack which gives me easy access to my camera and equipment without taking the pack off each time I want to take a photo. I also would like some storage for things like water, lunch, bug dope etc., and maybe a rain jacket (that's probably asking too much).
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Edelweiss
Hi Edelweiss!
Thy this Jo....
I've got one, and like it...
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-B...2463111&sr=8-1

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
Edelweiss

Thanks, Gary. I'll check it out.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Kenmore

I've been using this pack which I got this spring with much success. It seems to cover most of the bases you mention - which coincidently were the bases I was trying to cover!

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...AW,1995,14.htm

It has two seperate compartments - one for camera gear and another for regular hiking gear. Camera slips out an easy access "side door" so you don't have to remove the pack to get at the camera - but you do have to take the pack off to change lenses or pull out any other paraphenalia you may be carrying.

Equally it is small enough to work as a carry on bag on airplanes which was my third criteria.
Kenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Edelweiss

Kenmore-
How easy is it to access your camera from that side compartment? I watched the video which made it look easy but then read some reviews which said it was difficult to get at the camera, especially with a long lens.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
fvrwld

Joanne, on my kayak trip there was a couple from Holland that were serious photographers. They had these torso packs that were kind of integrated into their backpacks. The kind of just wraped around their torso so that all their camera equipment was on the front of their body. I've googled around a bit but can't find that product. I should have got the name from them.

I did find this which I think is pretty cool. A modular system that you can pick and choose what bags to put on the belt. I wonder if they would work on the belt of a backpack that you already own.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...t-systems.aspx
Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Kenmore

I found it to be pretty good. The zipper has an extra long pull on it so you don't have to fiddle around too much to find the pull and it glides open easily. From there the camera is right at hand. To a degree all of this occurs "behind your back" so its somewhat out of sight... but its not so far behind you that you have to strain or twist to access the camera. Its low and close to your hip so its pretty much right at arms length.

I've only used it with a small zoom on my SLR (40-100mm) so the camera came out quite easily. Perhaps with a big zoom (400mm) it might be a little stickier to pull the camera out. Equally it is possible if you stuff the pack with lots and lots of gear (both camera and hiking stuff) then things might be more crammed.... but for the times I've used it it has worked really well so I am quite satisfied.
Kenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:47 AM   #8
Edelweiss

Thanks for the link Val. I'm not sure I want a modular belt system just now. Someone on another forum also suggested something similar. I already have a Lowepro harness which I use with a Lowepro Toploader 70AW. I use that for photoshoot hikes where I'm not going very far and don't need a lot of other hiking equipment. I want something which I can use on a longer dayhike so whatever I get would have to carry things like a rain jacket, lunch, snacks, and water. I also want to be able to carry it on a plane and be able to fit it under the seat or in the overhead bin. That's why I was looking at backpacks.
Kenmore, does your backpack have a side mesh pocket for a water bottle?
Gary, your backpack suggestion doesn't have easy access to the camera without taking it off your back.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld View Post
I did find this which I think is pretty cool. A modular system that you can pick and choose what bags to put on the belt. I wonder if they would work on the belt of a backpack that you already own.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...t-systems.aspx
Val - that looks interesting, and I wondered the same thing. If it could connect to my hip belt, I might bring my film camera out again!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Edelweiss

Thanks everybody for your help. I've just ordered a Lowepro Topload Zoom 1 camera bag to replace my well-worn Tamrac. I won't be getting a camera backpack but will use the new camera bag/Rebel XTi/17-85mm workhorse lens along with my Osprey daypack. Should work fine!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
Scenic New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernessphoto View Post
Hi Edelweiss!
Thy this Jo....
I've got one, and like it...
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-B...2463111&sr=8-1

I have the same bag and really like it. We always shoot together though, so if one of us has the pack on the other gets the cameras out. It hold my rebel with a lens attached, my husbands dslr with a short lens and a few extra lenses, as well as my little point and shoot and a first aid kit.
Scenic New York is offline   Reply With Quote