Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
CCarr518

Question Bugs in early May?

Hi all,

A friend and I are planning on hiking the Piseco - Wakely Dam section next week (May 7-11). I wasn't sure if we should expect to encounter many black flies this early, so I was hoping to draw on the collective experience of the forum for an educated guess!

We hiked a different portion last year during the first week of June and the flies were swarming and persistent Hoping to avoid that again if possible. Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

-Chris
CCarr518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

Last year at that exact time I was in that area, and there were no insects at all. They usually fire up sometime in mid to late May, I'm personally hoping it will be the latter end of May. June is usually quite bad, start to finish, at least in my experience.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

I did that section this past weekend and there were no bugs anywhere. There was alot of snow though.
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
CCarr518

Quote:
There was alot of snow though.
I just saw your other post saying there was enough to require snowshoes. That is disappointing to hear. I guess we will have to prepare for the worst and hope the upcoming warm weather melts as much as possible. Does anyone think it is feasible for over a foot of snow to melt in about a week?
Old 04-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
Wldrns

The remaining snow is patchy and corn like. The nice weather in the next few days should do a number on it.... unless it has been packed down and turned to ice by winter foot traffic in trails.

It is unlikely that biting bugs will be out as early as next week. Know that the first hatch of black flies may be annoying and dense, but do not bite. Some people freak out over nothing more than the buzzing cloud and they unnecessarily douse themselves in chemicals, but there is no need to slather up.... yet.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

Wldrns is right...the snow for about the first 5 miles from Lake Piseco is almost nonexistent but later on it will be intermittent so it was the kind of hike where snowshoes were useless at spots and then a much-desired necessity at others. It's hopefully going to melt enough as there were any footprints besides ours so the trail should be too packed down. Some proper boots may be all you need by the time you decide to go.
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
mikesill
nywilds

Last weekend I was near the Moose River, the first wave of black flies where out in spots near water but did not bite. You might get lucky but I would still pack the headnet
mikesill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
CCarr518

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the replies! Here's a quick update on what I found while I was out this past weekend.

For all intents and purposes, the snow is gone. There were some patches off trail, but no snow gear is necessary. A friend of mine wore trail runners and had no problem. As for the flies, the first wave is out but the swarming wasn't too bad. Got a couple bites, but they were barely noticeable. The most ideal conditions I have had the pleasure to experience in a long time!

Tags
black flies, piseco, wakely dam, west canada lakes