Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Other Places
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2016, 01:49 AM   #1
dmartenvt

Joshua Tree

Wow. What a difference, I have spent the majority of my camping and hiking time trying not to become wet, hypothermic, frozen or somehow submerged in a fast flowing stream. Just back from Joshua Tree. What transferred well from camping in the ADKs? Hawkvittles, which I shared with hungry people who were very impressed. Everything else - I have a lot to learn about camping and hiking in the desert. I was not in any way capable!
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I spent a few days in Joshua Tree about 8 years ago while working on a volunteer GIS/GPS project for the NPS. It was definitely a really neat area. It was weird to climb a mountain whose summit was about equal to Mt. Marcy in elevation, yet the difficulty of the climb felt like Mt. Jo in comparison.

The weirdest thing for me about hiking in the desert, though was that you could hike 5 miles into a Wilderness Area, turn around, and still clearly see your car at the parking area.

The Mojave National Preserve is also worth visiting. Kelso Dunes is super neat- the humming dunes are unlike anything I've ever heard in the outdoors. (The climb to the top of the dunes, though, is like climbing a 500 foot tall snowdrift without snowshoes...)
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:10 AM   #3
dmartenvt

Sounds like a lot of fun - I would like to try those dunes. I have hiked dunes a lot in the Cape Cod National Seashore - miles of them, and I really enjoy it, and while I've hiked them in pretty intense heat, not so much in the dry intense heat of the desert. I want to head back to Joshua Tree for a longer stay. This time I was headed to Desert Trip for a very, very great concert and three days of festival camping, which isn't camping but was great fun anyway. I found the mornings in the desert spectacularly beautiful. Not sure where to be in the heat of the day except not moving much and in shade. Starting to near retirement and taking more time off, so many of my fantasy trips are within grasp. As long as I can keep my sore joints moving!
Old 12-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #4
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartenvt View Post
... Starting to near retirement and taking more time off, so many of my fantasy trips are within grasp. As long as I can keep my sore joints moving!
You'll love retirement.. nothing better than having 6 Saturdays and a Sunday every week. As for fantasy trips, you will have the time but I am discovering that the body has some difficulty paying the tariff. Trips that should be 2 or 3 days now take 4 or 5 days. Gettin' old ain't for sissys
Old 12-31-2016, 11:58 PM   #5
dmartenvt

Don't I know it (muscle aches). I've been fighting a neck injury for a year which is finally better (I think). I'm now a year older and even more out of shape than when I started, which at my best was still recovering from a misspent youth smoking and drinking and carousing too much. So now I'm trying to ski a bit to get into shape (see the problem?). I realize skiing may not be the best thing to get in shape for a 55 year old person recovering from a neck injury, who at best was only a moderate skier. But the snow was just so damn nice the last couple of days and I'm doing the baby trails and possibly I just have bad judgment. But I'm going to see every national park I can manage and as many state ones too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Paddler View Post
You'll love retirement.. nothing better than having 6 Saturdays and a Sunday every week. As for fantasy trips, you will have the time but I am discovering that the body has some difficulty paying the tariff. Trips that should be 2 or 3 days now take 4 or 5 days. Gettin' old ain't for sissys