Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
tenderfoot

From Loj - picking peaks for second day

Planning next adventure, looking at Veterans Day. We have hiked in late Nov and early April and are comfortable hiking / camping in the cooler almost-but-not-yet winter temps. Will probably grab a lean-to at the Loj so we have some comforts overnight - fire, dutch oven, flush toilets: the full Ritz treatment.

We really enjoyed our multi-peak Columbus Day trip so wish to come home with more than one this trip too. I think this trip I will try something new - second day climbing. Usually we are a tad stiff after a mountain but I am thinking nothing like hair of the dog that bit you. With that said the second day hike (third day too?) might want to be a bit easier.

Day one Colden via Lake Arnold. Tabletop maybe too? Liz has never seen Avalanche Lake. She would love Trap Dike but no way, since it is ice season soon.

Day two Street & Nye or Wright. We have Algonquin. Not sure if we should try to grab Iroquois as well. If so, maybe move this to Day 1. Or Grace from 73. Giant & RPR might be a jolt with their quick ascent.

Possible Day three: Porter. We were chased off Cascade's summit by a thunderstorm a while back. Skipped Porter . Porter might be something to tackle on way out of town.

Of course there is the AMR corridor. Plenty in there. I do not see any hunting season restrictions.

So I am looking for some feedback on the rigor of the proposed, possible substitutions, etc. We already have Phelps crossed off. Many thanks.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
crkmeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
Planning next adventure, looking at Veterans Day. We have hiked in late Nov and early April and are comfortable hiking / camping in the cooler almost-but-not-yet winter temps. Will probably grab a lean-to at the Loj so we have some comforts overnight - fire, dutch oven, flush toilets: the full Ritz treatment.

We really enjoyed our multi-peak Columbus Day trip so wish to come home with more than one this trip too. I think this trip I will try something new - second day climbing. Usually we are a tad stiff after a mountain but I am thinking nothing like hair of the dog that bit you. With that said the second day hike (third day too?) might want to be a bit easier.

Day one Colden via Lake Arnold. Tabletop maybe too? Liz has never seen Avalanche Lake. She would love Trap Dike but no way, since it is ice season soon.

Day two Street & Nye or Wright. We have Algonquin. Not sure if we should try to grab Iroquois as well. If so, maybe move this to Day 1. Or Grace from 73. Giant & RPR might be a jolt with their quick ascent.

Possible Day three: Porter. We were chased off Cascade's summit by a thunderstorm a while back. Skipped Porter . Porter might be something to tackle on way out of town.

Of course there is the AMR corridor. Plenty in there. I do not see any hunting season restrictions.

So I am looking for some feedback on the rigor of the proposed, possible substitutions, etc. We already have Phelps crossed off. Many thanks.
Owl's Head is my favorite for the out day hike. Porter will take you some time. If I missed Porter I would not sweat it, you will likely be up Cascade and Porter again (and again, and again) as you bring people to the high peaks.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Kenmore

Indeed your second day hikes look reasonable (Wright, Street and Nye) if you want something a little easier to tackle but still a 46er. You didn't list Phelps so I assume you have that one. Big Slide might be an option which is a little bit shorter day hike than some of those with a longer approach into the Peaks.

There are also lots of non-46ers in the area (like Owl's Head, Baxter, Pitchoff, Noonmark) that are nice short hikes if you think maybe, by the second or third day, that you aren't up to a longer hike. They offer great views with a much shorter climb.
Kenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:28 AM   #4
rickhart

The days will be short. You might want to be careful of Grace from 73, esp. since the fallen leaves might make parts of the herd path harder to follow.

If you want to see both Avalanche Lake & Colden, why not a loop? If you consider that, I'd go up by Avalanche Pass and that side of Colden which is much steeper, then down via Lake Arnold back to Avalanche Camp.

As said, there are some fantastic non-46ers good for a Day 3 hike on the way out. Depending which way you're going home, Noonmark is great on the Keene Valley/St Huberts side, or Rooster Comb; going to the west, Ampersand or Haystack [this is the Haystack off Rte 86 on the way to Ray Brook, not the high peak next to Marcy] are both fun.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
tenderfoot

Yes about Grace - we are not yet good enough for head lamp hiking trails that are not well marked (although handled Lilliam Brook Trail just fine).

Yes, we have don Phelps.

Big Slide - that one totally escaped me - wow.

A big thanks for adjusting the way I think. Knocking off a 46'r is great. But a shorter hike on way out of town, just for the shear joy of it and to take advantage of being in the area (5 hours from home) is a great idea