Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Help with tresspessing

Tredhed and I went up to the family cabin today to do a little light shoveling on the roof. When we got there, we immediately noticed that some individual had driven their vehicle through the three feet of snow on our front lawn, stopping only when they hit the rock wall around the well head (where the bird feeder hook is in the photo).

There appeared to be snowmobile tracks near the back of the disturbed area, indicating that they had either loaded or unloaded their machine in our front lawn. While certainly not the best lawn in the neighborhood, I'm a little disturbed by someone driving across our lawn because it was convenient for them to load their sled and turn their truck around. We go through this every winter and even in the summer some people decide it's OK to turn their boat trailer around in our front yard.

I certainly don't want to slam all snowmobile riders. 99% are awesome people who enjoy the sport and respect others. However, I'd like to ask members of the forum what we can do to deter this behavior on our property (preferably something that doesn't violate the National Firearms Act of 1934). We put up a span of caution tape and thought of large rocks, game cams, and asking for more ranger/police patrols.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks folks

TM

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 02-14-2018 at 06:11 PM..
Tick Magnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #2
dundee

Can you gate the driveway at your property boundary? Do you have "No trespassing signs up now?
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Can you gate the driveway at your property boundary? Do you have "No trespassing signs up now?
Drive way is gated, no trespassing signs are posted. I called the NYS Police, but they said there's nothing they can do unless they catch the guy in the act. I knew that, but...

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 02-14-2018 at 06:27 PM..
Tick Magnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Hopefully with the cams you at least get a plate or something if they come back. That should be enough for the police to track them down.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
skillzman1

Idiots are everywhere!
I second the game camera, in a discreet location so it can't be tampered with or stolen. Might be shocked what you see. I had a friend who did this and he was surprised to see people peeking in windows and trying door locks!
Old 02-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

I know a guy with a dog that will watch the camp for you on his days off...free of charge.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I know a guy with a dog that will watch the camp for you on his days off...free of charge.
You're hired!

Warning: I may visit unannounced and drink half your beer.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post
You're hired!

Warning: I may visit unannounced and drink half your beer.
Iím used to that...That is why I always keep a few extras in my pack.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Trail cam and nail strips...disguised to look like construction debris.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #10
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Trail cam and nail strips...disguised to look like construction debris.
The last construction project was so efficient, there was no left over debris.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:53 PM   #11
Woodly

The old pieces of telephone pole or similar laying on the ground and tied down and with or without spikes sticking up deters many.
When people ignore signs and gates you really have a problem. I thought for sure when I began reading this thread your place had been broken into, and it may come to that so be very careful of what you leave behind. It sucks, but its reality.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #12
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
The old pieces of telephone pole or similar laying on the ground and tied down and with or without spikes sticking up deters many.
When people ignore signs and gates you really have a problem. I thought for sure when I began reading this thread your place had been broken into, and it may come to that so be very careful of what you leave behind. It sucks, but its reality.
We've been broken into before, many-many years ago. They stole an old gun that my dad foolishly left under one of the beds. NYSP caught the guy, but the gun was gone as well as the propane tanks and some other stuff.

When I spoke to the Forest Ranger a few years ago on the subject of snowmobile trespessing, he said he was pretty sure he knew who was doing it. However, without evidence, there was nothing he could do.

About ten years ago, I yelled at a guy riding a snowmobile across our lakefront in order to load it into the back of his POS pickup. He didn't see a problem with doing it. "I have to get it into my truck"
Old 02-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #13
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

One 'decoy' trail cam should go in a prominent place where it is easily spotted (the "smile, you're on camera" signs don't seem to work anymore) while two more are placed in discrete spots (preferably in security boxes). One should cover the driveway one should cover the cabin and decoy.

If you have cell signal at the cabin, you can get away with one trail cam that will transmit a pic at the time taken.

It is what it is, the 'law' won't even take a report unless you produce evidence of trespass and time it occurred.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #14
Buckladd

I know it's an annoyance, but are they doing any damage?. I've seen much worse. Do you think it's locals?

The "decoy" trail cam with a backup was the same idea I had.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #15
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I know it's an annoyance, but are they doing any damage?. I've seen much worse. Do you think it's locals?

Damage? I won't know until the snow melts a little more. It looks like they hit the patio block wall I put around the well-head with the front of their truck. The wall I can repair with a little effort. If the well-head was damaged or the pipe bent, it's a little more serious.

In the past, trespassers have run over our boat, picnic table and dock frame with their sleds. I'm not saying it's the same crew, but they're cut from the same cloth.

As far as them being local; I don't know. It really doesn't matter to me if they are from just down the road or the other side of the universe. I just want them to stop driving on my lawn.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #16
richard1726

1 1/4 inch Spikes on plywood strips. Hide the spikes with beer cans.
I put up a low rock wall, low enough that the rock will be dislodged into a windshi
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #17
Jackson

I'll throw in my agreement with the large rocks/boulders or the long utility pole type of barrier. Of course a trail cam or two will be a bonus. Please keep us posted on what happens and if you catch the perps. Thanks, and good luck.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Springtime rustic stockade fence project for JCFarrell.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #19
TCD

Well it looks like your lawn was "navigable" for them. Better be careful - soon they'll find some judge who says they have a right to drive on it.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #20
kwc
loser

you just need to have the "pointy ends" of the pickets stick outward instead of up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Springtime rustic stockade fence project for JCFarrell.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote