Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
JohnnyJ10

Question Ice Fishing?

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and fairly new to the ADK area, only been here for 2 years. I am avid about fishing an got the itch. I am looking to do some ice fishing this winter but have little to no knowledge on the subject. My coworker has been ice fishing for many years but is also very new to the area, what are the best places to catch trout and/or salmon in the ADKs? I have done a little research and found maybe Trout Lake and even Schroon Lake. Are there any hidden gems out there that won't be swamped with other fisherman?

Any help would be great. Thanks!
JohnnyJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
Amart

Ice fishing is awesome and the Adirondacks offer some of the best opportunities for catching lakers and salmon in the winter. Schroon Lake and Lake Colby are both great spots for both lake trout and salmon they can get busy but they produce fish. When Lake George freezes that is my favorite spot to ice some big lakers. I would start with these spots due to the easy access and usually cooperative fish. As far as bait goes I would stick with 'hunts' these tough guys will live throughout the day and will catch anything that swims. Make sure to check the ice when you go out and stay safe!
Amart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
EagleCrag

Lake George, once it freezes is probably the most productive lake I've fished. Folks there usually either target perch or Lake Trout. Fishing for both is excellent. You will see lots of other fishermen, but its a big lake and there's lots of fish. I recommend you go to iceshanty.com if you haven't already. Its by far the best website I have found for ice fishing. Its an international site (US & Canada) and has separate areas for each state, each species of fish and is loaded with information. Close by you there is Saratoga Lake and Lake Lonely though I believe the fishing has fallen off on both of them in recent years. Schroon Lake can be good too and has perch, smelt, Lake Trout and Pike. It usually freezes before Lake George and there are plenty of access points. Be aware that lakes that hold trout are OFF LIMITS to ice fishing unless the regulations specifically state that ice fishing is permitted.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
JohnnyJ10

Awesome, thanks for the feedback Amart.

What do you prefer to use when jigging? My coworker suggested Swedish Pimples which were good in NH where he came from but obviously fish will look for different things in different places.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
EagleCrag

Swedish pimples (silver or white) and white tube jigs seem to work the best.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
angelsranger

Try Ice Shanty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ10 View Post
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and fairly new to the ADK area, only been here for 2 years. I am avid about fishing an got the itch. I am looking to do some ice fishing this winter but have little to no knowledge on the subject. My coworker has been ice fishing for many years but is also very new to the area, what are the best places to catch trout and/or salmon in the ADKs? I have done a little research and found maybe Trout Lake and even Schroon Lake. Are there any hidden gems out there that won't be swamped with other fisherman?

Any help would be great. Thanks!
Iceshanty.com has a ton of info and forums on ice fishing. It is broken down by state and the NY forum is quite active.
angelsranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

correction on amart there are no lake trout in lake Colby, its stocked with Rainbows, browns, and some nice salmon in the fall. The lake is usually best fished early ice or late ice. It slows down a bit come mid winter.

Looking at your member page it says your from Saratoga. Best bet would be for you to hit lake George area. Best chance for lakers and decent numbers and size. Read as much as you can before heading out. The internet is a wonderful thing and a simple google search will lead to many tips and tricks. You can go on a lake like lake George and catch nothing all day, but if you walked 100 more yards that could have changed the outcome dramatically. In my honest opinion ice fishing for trout and salmon is a bit slow and can be frustrating. as a beginner would suggest fishing for pike with the tip ups and jig around for perch, crappie and bluegills. Will have much more satisfaction and action doing this.
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
JohnnyJ10

Anything frozen up yet? This rain is not helping anything :/
Old 12-24-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

yeah there was, idk about this rain though. Last weekend there was about 5 -7 inches of ice with some slush in spots.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #10
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

In terms of finding a place with little to no people there really are no trout lakes for ice fishing that meet that. Because there are so very few that allow ice fishing they are usually heavily targeted as a result.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #11
wildbrookies

I agree. A few lakes have become so busy out there that we stopped going to them.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Please check out this thread I just started http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?p=225882#post225882
Old 12-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
Nola
Salmon Slayer

Hoping that this week will bind up some open water. Anyone know about the status of Schroon? I can hear the salymion calling....
Nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #14
EagleEd

Schroon Lake

According to SchrnLkr the lake has buttoned up and some of it is being fished. He also stated that caution should be taken with an ice pick as you go.

Eagle Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola View Post
Hoping that this week will bind up some open water. Anyone know about the status of Schroon? I can hear the salymion calling....
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
Nola
Salmon Slayer

Thanks. Always do use caution. Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #16
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Anyone fish floodwood? I read there is a good selection from lakers, salmon, pike, bluegill and even crappie. I attempted once years ago to ice fish and it was so slushy that day we gave up. With this crazy weather coming sunday the change I hope will get them feeding. Thinking about hitting it up.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #17
adkman12986

Seen a truck out on Raquett pond across from McDonalds in Tupper Lake today.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #18
Nola
Salmon Slayer

Ice

Found ice on Brant. Proceeded to angle trout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (157 Bytes, 197 views)
Old 01-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #19
wildbrookies

Does anybody know if Indian Lakes` southern basin froze up. And if so, about how thick? Asked the same question on Iceshanty, so covering 2 bases!! Thanx!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:01 AM   #20
HRS Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Does anybody know if Indian Lakes` southern basin froze up. And if so, about how thick? Asked the same question on Iceshanty, so covering 2 bases!! Thanx!

WB
I'm no ice fisher, but we were in the area the Saturday before last (December 27th). We saw two groups out ice fishing in the southern basin. One guy was solo, another group of maybe 2 to 4 (memory fails to how many) was setting up when we passed by at noon. Water at the edges in some spots and it looked sketchy to us but they seemed to be good. But that was a while back, and it warmed up some the following few days. But still with this coming week of near zero temperatures, I would venture to guess it may easily be safe. Indian Lake seems to take longer to freeze because of its size, but I will bow to those with greater knowledge on the subject.
HRS Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing, ice