Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #21
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby459 View Post
Not a question intended with any snark, but any idea why the locals don't stay at reserve spots at Putnam Pond, in the campground?
Speaking only for myself & nothing against Putts but Crane is a pretty special place, with countless wonderful memories. I’m sure others probably feel the same, and also do their part to help keep it that way. If you notice, you never really see any Trip Reports about Crane Pond unless it’s something negative. Couple years ago it was the duff fire started by a careless day paddler, a couple years before that it was the mud pit swallowing up vehicles. Before that it was always about the water crossing at Alder Pond. That was really all you ever heard about Crane Pond other than the annual “How’s the road?” inquires.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #22
Lucky13

I would guess that the $10 day use fee to use a campground facility might not sit well with someone who pays local and state taxes. Very few locals use the campgrounds at Eighth Lake or Limekiln until they close for the season.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #23
dundee

Many locals can just throw up a tent in their own backyard, have a fire and roast weiners at home and save the money. They of course miss the time at the beach, etc.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #24
jchenier@verizon.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinkhamer View Post
Drove into Crane Pond (Pharaoh Mtn area) hoping to get a nice day of paddling and fly fishing the pond for the first time and to spend a night out. Got there and found more than 20 cars parked. Most belonged to one site right next to boat launch. I spent about 5 hours out on pond paddling around and catching various bass and bluegills and checking open sites where I might take my gear and spend the night. I was across the pond and I could hear this large group's drunken yelling and carrying on and then someone added a stereo to the mix. When I returned I saw they had setup some large plastic tables and were pretty into their party. I proceeded to load my kayak back up and decided I wanted no part of this nonsense. As I was finishing up, someone then proceeded to fire up a chainsaw as well and I have no idea what was being cut up. This is supposed to be a WILDERNESS area, so there were a few laws being broken that day I assume. Once I got back into cell coverage I made a call to DEC dispatch and they said they were going to check it out. I hope they handed out a few tickets and kicked them out after making them clean up whatever mess they made. Its days like these I wish they required permits to use State land.
Rant over.
I was at Crane Pond this weekend as well, I think we saw you in the cove by site 4. I was with my wife fishing in a green canoe. The group at Site 1 was a bachelor party. I crossed paths with an En Con officer on the way out Sunday. He had been there the night before also, and was following up. Not sure if tickets were issued, but I can only assume so.

The site was cleaned up aside from a hamburger and egg shell in the fire pit. The officer didn't seem concerned about this when I told him. Apparently they made some mess the night before. The fire was still smoldering when i was leaving, and i put it out the rest of the way.

Justin- sorry to hear about jenny. Looks like from your photos over the years you gave her a happy and full life. I'm sure she will be missed.
jchenier@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #25
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Many locals can just throw up a tent in their own backyard, have a fire and roast weiners at home and save the money. They of course miss the time at the beach, etc.
If you are having a good time at a NYS campground beach, you are likely violating some regulation. The locals I know up there have lots of places to go and swim and fish without paying the day use fees. Most of them could stay in their backyards and enjoy the mountains, and do!
Old 09-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #26
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Many locals can just throw up
Quote:
They of course miss the beach.
A little fun with a selective citation.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #27
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchenier@verizon.net View Post
Justin- sorry to hear about jenny. Looks like from your photos over the years you gave her a happy and full life. I'm sure she will be missed.
Thank you Joe. Jenny & I were last there Aug 23-24, and I thought I saw your buddyís black Nissan Rogue there again but never did see him..?
A couple friends of mine will be there this weekend & bringing their sons for their first Crane campout. They are ages 6 and 8, and Iím so bummed I wonít be able to join them, but I will be bringing Jennyís ashes there in a few weeks.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #28
OntarioSkiBum

Sorry to hear about Jenny as well. It was always nice how you included her in your trip videos. My kids really liked the one with her jumping after you in one of your canoe camping trips.

With my life the way it is now, I don't have time for a dog, but if I did I'd want it to be like Jenny.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #29
Justin
Moving along

Thank you SkiBum, and thanks again for all the messages that Iíve received over the past 2 weeks. It really means a lot & I will again request any further messages be sent via PM if we can please, as to try & help keep a thread from drifting off topic the best we can. Much love & keep up the good work in helping to crackdown on some the irresponsible & careless users out there!
Old 09-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #30
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
If you are having a good time at a NYS campground beach, you are likely violating some regulation. The locals I know up there have lots of places to go and swim and fish without paying the day use fees. Most of them could stay in their backyards and enjoy the mountains, and do!
This summer at the Speculator town beach my kid was told he couldn't wear his $10 plastic swim mask because it was "diving equipment". Forget about jumping off my shoulders or swimming past the ropeas well! What would we do without those lifeguards! Interestingly in nanny state Ontario, i haven't seen a beach lifeguard since i was a kid... It's swim at your own risk.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #31
Lucky13

Last time I went to Toronto, all the beaches from Hamilton on were closed due to the large number of geese, and the resultant high bacteria levels. And while NYSDOH mandates that localities like Speculator have the guards and all the rules (no balls, diving equipment, bottles (but that's a good one!, broken glass and bare feet do not go together), et al), I noticed yesterday that many of the DEC campground beaches are now no lifeguards, swim at your own risk.

Ohh, oh, we're off track again!
Old 09-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #32
gebbyfish

Quote:
Last time I went to Toronto, all the beaches from Hamilton on were closed due to the large number of geese, and the resultant high bacteria levels. And while NYSDOH mandates that localities like Speculator have the guards and all the rules (no balls, diving equipment, bottles (but that's a good one!, broken glass and bare feet do not go together), et al), I noticed yesterday that many of the DEC campground beaches are now no lifeguards, swim at your own risk.

Life guards typically gone after Labor Day in NYS
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #33
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebbyfish View Post
Same with AFRs in many parts of the Adirondacks.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #34
Wldrns

College or HS kids are the typical employees.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #35
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:

I'm surprised you found all beaches closed. Most are open much more than they're not... Some rarely if ever close. Actually, other than Bayfront Park in Hamilton, they generally just post the beaches unsafe for swimming due to E Coli levels. Bayfront Park is a write off though due to the geese and hasn't been open in years.

Most beaches will only get posted after heavy rains. A lot of this is tied to sewage treatment plants dumping raw sewage after the systems get overwhelmed.

This site is good to see what beaches are cleanest. In addition the local health departments will report daily conditions.
https://www.theswimguide.org/beach/63

Yep, we're way off topic.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #36
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebbyfish View Post
This is true, and if it was a guarded beach, it is off limits for swimming when there are no guards. NYSDOH and NYSDEC maintain a double set of standards.