Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #21
MrKawfey

Interesting tidbit, according to the CDC website, dogs and people are affected by different strains of the Giardia protozoa. In fact they say that transmission from dogs to people is actually quite rare.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #22
Trail Boss

Relevant to this topic. Dr. Joe Schwarcz (Professor of Chemistry at McGill University and debunker of fads) throws sunlight on the fad of drinking "raw water".

http://montrealgazette.com/opinion/t...ses-real-risks

You know when someone is charging $37 for 2.5 gallons of "raw water", there's little real science involved and mostly hype in order to line someone's pockets. Making the gullible part with their money is a long-standing and thriving business.

I remember, as a kid, when we traveled to the cottage by the lake up in the Laurentians, we'd fill jugs with well-water, and bring them back home. I don't recall anyone ever getting sick and it was a better-tasting alternative to Montreal's chlorinated water (nowadays I just use a carbon filter). Anyway, it was from a known-good source and no one was under the illusion it was somehow 'healthier' than tap water unlike proponents of "raw water".

I do agree with Dr, Schwarcz that sanitation is one of the most important advances for human health. Keeping what we ingest away from what we expel is one of the simplest yet most effective 'public health benefits' humanity devised.

Last edited by Trail Boss; 02-03-2018 at 04:32 PM..
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #23
DuctTape
Out of Shape

IIRC the most common vectors for giardia are: day care centers and public swimming pools.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #24
montcalm
Mobster

Seems also other bacteria, viruses and protozoa get blamed for wilderness or travelers diarrhea. Forms of E. Coli seem to be the most common water borne pathogen, and there's a whole list of others beside Giardia.

Seems that also some people build a tolerance to these water borne pathogens. As I was reading, it's not uncommon for natives in a certain area where water is "polluted" to have zero symptoms whereas tourists will get the runs.

Maybe the mountain men of old had iron stomachs? Maybe the water was pure (less the occasional beaver or moose turd)? Guess we'll never know...

Personally, I'd rather take my chances drinking unknown, untreated water in the wilderness than in a city.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:56 PM   #25
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
IIRC the most common vectors for giardia are: day care centers and public swimming pools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:12 AM   #26
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
Nice!

Old 02-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #27
montcalm
Mobster

"It's no big deal"
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #28
whcobbs

giardia

In the ADKs and northern Maine beaver are a big source of Giardia. Any water in a beaver drainage is probably infected. Filtration works against Giardia, iodine is not reliable. Evacuation from the 100 mile wilderness is a tough way to learn this lesson. Once your giardia infection is established, you will become progressively debilitated and eventually too weak to carry your back pack (David Boomhower) so it's a dead serious matter for a wilderness thru hiker.
However, metronidazole (Flagyl) is pretty effective, so I do carry it.
Walt
whcobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #29
MrKawfey

http://askanaturalist.com/can-i-swim-with-beavers/
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:00 AM   #30
Tug Hill

Back in the 80’s the University of Minnesota paid me to take feces samples ($2-3 per sample) of the the beaver and muskrats that I trapped in the Fish Creek and Salmon River watersheds.

Since the East Branch of Fish Creek is the City of Rome, NY water supply, giardiasis was a major concern. Although both beaver and muskrats carry the parasite, muskrats turned out to be the bigger concern.

Since the study Rome added a filtration system to their water supply.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:16 AM   #31
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
Although both beaver and muskrats carry the parasite, muskrats turned out to be the bigger concern.
Maybe we should rename it from "beaver fever" to "muskrat love"
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:57 AM   #32
rickhart

In fall of 2014 I contracted Giardia during a Cranberry/Low's/Oswegatchie loop trip. I stupidly kept drinking water that was just filtered, even though I could see particles so knew it wasn't working properly. Hoped for the best, I guess. Not only was the Giardia unpleasant (lost 11 or 12 pounds in the week & a half after coming home) but I was left permanently lactose intolerant even after the Giardia was cured. I found that, according to the NIH, neither filtering nor chemical treatment is 100% effective, but in combination they're almost that. So now I filter first, then treat with AquaMira. It requires more planning, but I don't want to repeat that experience. I think maybe some people can be infected but asymptomatic (not sure about that), but would urge everyone to use at least some kind of water treatment.

I had, ironically, been admiring the huge amount of beaver activity along the river.....
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #33
Blackflie

A mate of mine caught giardia on the Bog River Inlet route a few years ago. We had been using filters to good effect. He decided the “crystal clear” water at High Falls was just the thing to quench his thirst....you can guess the rest

Last edited by Blackflie; 04-01-2018 at 11:39 AM..
Blackflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #34
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflie View Post
He decided the “crystal clear” water at High Falls was just the thing to quench his thirst....you can guess the rest
Haver you ever attempted to count the number of beaver dams between the river's source and High Falls?
Old 04-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #35
Blackflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Haver you ever attempted to count the number of beaver dams between the river's source and High Falls?

Add them to the blow downs and it is one interesting route
Old 04-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #36
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I think we stopped counting at 30.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #37
Blackflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
I think we stopped counting at 30.
I was wearing boots so couldn’t go past ten
Old 04-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #38
Bagadeez04

Interesting article. As intriguing as I find the information from it, it's tough to imagine me not treating water in some way, as a precaution.

As the article states though, I am "white" (eww) and therefore from a "privileged community" (gross). Freaking "American capitalism" and their fancy water filters!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Bagadeez04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #39
equyst

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote