Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #21
electbc
Outdoorsman

Here is the link for Greenfrogs' BCUSA trip report to Good Luck lake.
https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threa...ndacks.188976/
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #22
coldfeet

I'm staying at the LOJ campsites with some friends and relatives in a few weeks. My daughter is new to winter camping so I'm trying to make it as comfortable as possible for her. Advantage of the car being 100 ft away. Will hike around hopefully to Avalanch lake and short hike up Mt. JO. Surprisingly last year around mid January there were plenty of other folks car camping. Both advantages and disadvantages. Buying firewood there was nice. But your not really in the wilderness.

I've cold camped by pulling a sled with heavier tent by Marcy Dam, we were closer to hiking the peaks but open fires are not allowed there. I did miss having an open fire, it was a cold one that trip.

Last year a few of us pulled sleds into Goodluck lake (sp?) short hike in, maybe 1/2 mile. Nice area and close enough to go back for the wood that we bought nearby.

And I have the same problem having to drive 5-6 hours and 250 miles from the NYC suburbs.

But thanks for starting this thread, I'm getting some great ideas here also. Did anyone mention camping by Little Tupper Lake? That's on my list. I want to go where open fires or hot tenting is allowed these days. Be well.
coldfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #23
camp43

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
I'm staying at the LOJ campsites with some friends and relatives in a few weeks. My daughter is new to winter camping so I'm trying to make it as comfortable as possible for her. Advantage of the car being 100 ft away. Will hike around hopefully to Avalanch lake and short hike up Mt. JO. Surprisingly last year around mid January there were plenty of other folks car camping. Both advantages and disadvantages. Buying firewood there was nice. But your not really in the wilderness.

I've cold camped by pulling a sled with heavier tent by Marcy Dam, we were closer to hiking the peaks but open fires are not allowed there. I did miss having an open fire, it was a cold one that trip.

Last year a few of us pulled sleds into Goodluck lake (sp?) short hike in, maybe 1/2 mile. Nice area and close enough to go back for the wood that we bought nearby.

And I have the same problem having to drive 5-6 hours and 250 miles from the NYC suburbs.

But thanks for starting this thread, I'm getting some great ideas here also. Did anyone mention camping by Little Tupper Lake? That's on my list. I want to go where open fires or hot tenting is allowed these days. Be well.
Thanks for the Loj suggestions. I'll check the place out online. I'm about 5 hours out from the Adk Loj as well coming from North Jersey. I definitely want to go where fires are allowed. Winter camping without one is not fun to be. Not only due to the cold but the long nights as well. I don't really want to be I my hammock for 12 hours or more.

On a side note, do any outfitters in the Adirondacks rent hot tent set ups? I inquired with two this morning but probably won't hear back right away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
camp43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #24
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
...Did anyone mention camping by Little Tupper Lake?
Little Tupper Lake & Bum Pond... https://youtu.be/WdpRY5EcBkM
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #25
electbc
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp43 View Post
Thanks for the Loj suggestions. I'll check the place out online. I'm about 5 hours out from the Adk Loj as well coming from North Jersey. I definitely want to go where fires are allowed. Winter camping without one is not fun to be. Not only due to the cold but the long nights as well. I don't really want to be I my hammock for 12 hours or more.

On a side note, do any outfitters in the Adirondacks rent hot tent set ups? I inquired with two this morning but probably won't hear back right away.

Hot tent rentals aren't readily available in the Adirondacks, I believe that you would need to go into Algonquin in Canada for availability there.
I have a spike tent which works well, a nice size at 12 x 12 and a plastic floor which I may cut out.
I am also working on a 8 x 10 Scout camp wall tent with a steel internal frame, no floor, I have to fabricate a stove jack for it. Neither are backpacking items so the sled, or car camping is necessary.
I also have a Kni-co Alasken stove. You are welcome to borrow either or we can arrange a weekend group trip.
I am not 100% sure on the ADK Loj trip yet but my plan so far is to leave from work on the 27th getting up there in the dark, and stay until the 29th.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #26
coldfeet

Camp43, Forgot to mention, stop by if your in the area.

Think I have your email, if not send me a pm

As of now I saw the long range forecast for Lake Placid on Wed the 27th... -4F at night! ouch!
Old 12-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #27
coldfeet

Justin, just had to laugh at the 1:30 min mark with your dog wagging his tail on the camera, very funny! Going back to video...wish my daughters dog wasn't so wild and excitable...he runs all over
Old 12-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #28
Justin
Moving along

Thanks Feet,
Yeah that was the first time I tried strapping the GoPro camera to Jenny’s back, and she tried to shake it off.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #29
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks Feet,
Yeah that was the first time I tried strapping the GoPro camera to Jenny’s back, and she tried to shake it off.
Your dog is a saint.
JohnnyVirgil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #30
bioguide

Round Lake was fun with easy parking:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J9qt4yvklKGdKs3R2
Old 12-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #31
electbc
Outdoorsman

Round Lake by LTL? Looks like super easy access. No Wood stash? Ha Ha.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #32
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by electbc View Post
Round Lake by LTL? Looks like super easy access. No Wood stash? Ha Ha.
Yes, by LTL.

No wood stash... that was before I got smart...
Old 12-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #33
tenderfoot

Mmmm - hot tenting. I have been trying to get into this for a while. Will not hijack thread, will start a new one over in the Gear forum.

Last edited by tenderfoot; 12-19-2017 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: added link to other thread
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #34
camp43

Hey Coldfeet. Thanks for the information. I'm leaning towards Good Luck Lake right now though. If things change I'll let you know. We'll have to meet up one day though.

Quote:
Camp43, Forgot to mention, stop by if your in the area.

Think I have your email, if not send me a pm

As of now I saw the long range forecast for Lake Placid on Wed the 27th... -4F at night! ouch!
Old 12-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #35
Muddy Creek

Is the short trail to Good Luck Lake easy to find from the parking area on Rt 10? I've read accounts that it's hard to find. I'm thinking of heading there for an overnight on Christmas Eve if the ground isn't too soupy.
Muddy Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #36
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
Is the short trail to Good Luck Lake easy to find from the parking area on Rt 10? I've read accounts that it's hard to find. I'm thinking of heading there for an overnight on Christmas Eve if the ground isn't too soupy.
Its not hard pretty much directly across the parking area; just as you start up the main trail you will need to bear left off the snowmobile trail.

Video day trip to Good Luck Lake: https://youtu.be/cLqCIddgRFs

Old 12-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #37
coldfeet

Negative temps next week. I will go and test gear, keeping daughter home and warm. Need to wait and make it comfortable. Best to all
Old 12-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #38
camp43

Quote:
Negative temps next week. I will go and test gear, keeping daughter home and warm. Need to wait and make it comfortable. Best to all
If the temps are as cold as forcast now, I might have to rethink. I was hoping for overnight lows in the low teens to high single digits. Not negatives.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #39
Pauly D.

Same here. I was planning on camping at Heart Lake next week but minus 10 in the forecast has me thinking twice. I have a hot tent but never camped that cold before. It might be a good test for the equipment as Coldfeet suggests though.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #40
coldfeet

The advantage of the LOJ is that my car will be there. Hopefully it will start up when it needs to.

I'm going to confirm with the LOJ about purchasing wood there, usually $7-$8 a bundle if I recall. Or I will pick some up at a gas station on the way. Last time I spent a bit of time splitting the wood to burn quicker and that physical work did heat me up. I also bring up some scrap 2x4's that was split as a fire starter. I'm guessing on using 2-3 bundles of firewood per day. It burns pretty fast, guessing on needing 6-7 bundles for the 3 days.
It's amazing how much wood is needed to stay warm and do some cooking on the stove. I hope one day to go on a trip into Canada and see how they cut down standing dead wood.

Been thinking also about bathroom situation... last time on a holiday weekend the port o johns at the LOJ were disgusting. Hope they are cleaner this time, might have a plan in the works.

The weather on my phone now says -15 on Tuesday night, -13 on Wednesday night... Crap and my name is...brrrrr Coldfeet.
Be safe everyone!