Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
Rich Lockwood

current borias ponds info please

Considering a paddle trip there this summer. I know there is a long carry necessary on a road. What is current parking spot and carry length?
Thanks,turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
Neil
Kayak-46

I was there 2 days ago. The first 3 miles of Gulf Brk. Rd. are open to the public. At the end there is a large parking lot and there is a closed gate. To Labere flow there's another 3 miles of road walk. Bikes are allowed to just past the bridge that crosses the flow. People commonly wheel boats in on the road.

From that point to Boreas Ponds I'm not sure of the exact distance given that we then followed a road that led north and west away from Boreas. It looks like another mile but I think you can paddle it.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:54 PM   #3
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Last year I wheeled in to LeBere flow then paddled as far as possible then bushwacked back to the road. On the way back I just took the road, much easier and faster. From the flow to Boreas bond is maybe .7 mile.
Definitely worth the trip however you go.
John M.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #4

Did it 2 years ago from main road, wheeling boats. Long but easy walk. Last year biked with boats on trailers from new lot 3 miles in. Even easier. Road is fine; be sure you have a car/truck with some clearance (Subaru was fine) as there are some big-ish rocks to negotiate. Agreed on not worth putting in at LaBier Flow. Just lug the remaining road (decent hill) to the dam. Put-in is west side of dam.

Very cool place. Well worth any effort to get there and enjoy it. Best to find a way to get on the water, as the views from the 3 ponds are incredible and change as you get farther in.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
Nehasane

From NYSDEC: Gulf Brook Road is open to public motor vehicles to Fly Pond Gate (Parking Lot #8 on Interim Access Plan Map) which is approximately 3.2 miles from Blue Ridge Road, 2.5 miles from LaBier Flow, and 3.5 miles from Boreas Ponds. The road is in very rough shape after the long, hard winter four-wheel drive SUVs, pick-up trucks, and other high clearance vehicles are recommended. DEC is developing plans to address these concerns.
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:09 AM   #6
rickhart

I guess there are still no campsites? It sounds wonderful, but a 3.7 mile carry each way dampens my enthusiasm for a day paddle.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote