Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Trapper 30-30

Sinking Fly Line

Looking for suggestions on sinking fly line for pond fishing. Avid fly fisherman but never used a sinking line.
Thanks.
Trapper 30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
Blackflie

I used to do a lot of still water fishing in England and always had two a medium sinker and a fast sinker. It would depend on the water I was fishing and any hatches that were going on. To be honest the fast sinker was only ever used with a patttern like a booby. All this said it was over twenty years ago and ideas and fashions do change. I still have all of my flies from back home and as I retired a few weeks ago I am fully intending to get back into fly fishing again.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
Edb 46 er

If you are going to be fishing ponds I would recommend a full sinking line.

Paragraph from Montana Angler:

A full sinking intermediate line is the most common fly line for fishing lakes and ponds. The entire line will sink at a rate of 1/2 inch to 1 ˝ half inches per second. Since the entire length of the line sinks, it will retrieve (fish) the same way. Once you have started the retrieve the line and flies will stop sinking and will ‘hover’ in that column of water, giving your fly more time in the prime feeding zone.
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I gravitate between two lines, depending on what the fish are doing. If they are up and feeding in the top few feet then a clear intermediate Type 2 is the ticket. If they're just being ornery brookies and hanging a foot off the bottom then a Type 5 full sink is required. It's that or dynamite...
Old 04-21-2018, 01:18 AM   #5
Blackflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
I gravitate between two lines, depending on what the fish are doing. If they are up and feeding in the top few feet then a clear intermediate Type 2 is the ticket. If they're just being ornery brookies and hanging a foot off the bottom then a Type 5 full sink is required. It's that or dynamite...
My dear old dad recommended a mills bomb , but he was a Londoner and had never cast a fly

Last edited by Blackflie; 04-21-2018 at 08:47 AM..
Blackflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
beartooth91
beartooth91

75% of my lake Brookie fishing is done with a (Type 1) Intermediate line. Depending on your retrieve speed, it fishes well down to about 6 ft. I use multiple flies. If I'm using 3 flies; I find I can easily get down to 8-10 ft with a 12 ft leader and a weighted point fly.

For deeper fishing, I carry a Type 2 full sink. I also carry a Type 3 full sink which I have yet to use.

As much as I like the Cortland camo lines, I opt towards the Sci Anglers as they have a slightly slower sink rate.
beartooth91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:54 AM   #7
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Airflo lines. Try them. You'll never fish any other stillwater line again.