Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2018, 10:01 PM   #41
serotonin
ember

DEC = DepArtmEnt oF EteRnAL ConFuSioN.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:21 AM   #42
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ball View Post
Hey less deer means less ticks perhaps not a bad thing considering the increase in tick borne illnesses over the last ten years.
Iím pretty sure thatís a common misconception. Deer arenít the primary culprit for ticks

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #43
Stillhunter

Is there a list of "accidentally" stocked ponds? My guess is it is a small list but it may have happened a few times. Flying around some ponds can look similar?

A pond being stocked with Browns to try and control shiners is different issue. They should probably just reclaim the pond and put brookies back in. Some may enjoy fishing for the browns in ponds but I would rather catch my browns in a stream.

When the DEC stocks the wrong fish it is called "accidental stocking". If an honest sportsman violates a Fish and Game law by accident it is always "your fault" because it is your responsibility to know the regulations, period.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #44
Bounder45

Deer are not overpopulated in most areas of the Northern Zone, so this idea that wolves are needed to control their numbers is based on a faulty assumption. No doe tags are issued for rifle season for many of the northern WMU's (especially within the ADK's); there is a reason the DEC has that policy in place.

Deer are overpopulated in the Southern Zone (more so in some areas versus others), but good luck trying to integrate an apex predator in that kind of mixed habitat.

Beaver numbers are high in some areas. I see them quite often on hikes along rivers and lakes. The DEC could issue free trapping permits or even a moderate bounty if they're really becoming an issue. Truth be told, I don't think they are much of an issue. The Coyote do go after them where they are abundant. I wouldn't be surprised if Black Bear contribute to their mortality rate too. And private landowners will routinely hire trappers to help mitigate their effect on logging operations.

BTW, does anyone here trap Beavers up in the ADK's? If so, I'd love to tag along.

Last edited by Bounder45; 06-01-2018 at 12:22 PM..
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #45
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Stillhunter, yeah it was a total goof up on this pond in specific. It was reclaimed in 92 or 97 i dont recall. It has been used for years to get breeding males to mate in the hatchery.
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote