Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2018, 05:23 AM   #1
pennyanmurph

Fishing Rollins Pond

Iíll be camping at Rollins Pond this weekend and bringing my canoe. Any advice on the fishing there? Iím up for going after anything, and would also like to catch a few perch. Thanks!

-Pat
pennyanmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
Lucky13

Fishing

Major species in Rollins Pond are: bass, northern pike, yellow perch, brown bullhead, and pan fish. Black and Whey Ponds have brook and rainbow trout. Fishing licenses are no longer being sold at any of our campground facilities, but can be conveniently purchased on-line or by phone.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24494.html
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

There is also browns now in whey and lake trout in rollins. HUGE population of smelt in rollins so any bait that resembles a smelt will work. Mossback Rapala Shadow rap is a great lure to match smelt.
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
Lucky13

Yes, DEC is woefully behind in updating much of its website, which is from where my post was copied.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:41 AM   #5
pennyanmurph

Great, thanks for the help. I also heard there are some pike in Floodwood. Any truth to that?
Old 06-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
mgc

Sadly, Rollins Pond and all surrounding waters have been fished out. There are occasional reports of shiners being caught on number 5 Mepps pink trophy series.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
Sadly, Rollins Pond and all surrounding waters have been fished out. There are occasional reports of shiners being caught on number 5 Mepps pink trophy series.
While it is likely heavily pressured with the number of campsites on the pond, it is highly unlikely that yellow perch could be fished out. Stocking of Lake Trout and Landlocked salmon has also continued through 2017, no more recent data is on the DEC website, but those fish are not readily caught for much of the camping season.

Perhaps mgc should try skiing in Kansas, I hear there are many alp like mountains there.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Have never caught a laker in rollins unless it was through the ice. Yes on the pike in Floodwood.
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:35 AM   #9
Buckladd

Try the bay to the west for bass, along the shoreline, especially morning/evening. I also remember some guys going after panfish near a submerged tree at the end of that bay. I caught a nice smallie two years ago right where the creek goes into Floodwood. Have gotten some decent largemouth in Floodwood as well. Never targeted pike, but they're not my favorite.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #10
pennyanmurph

Great, thanks for all the advice. Iíll let you know how I make out.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #11
pennyanmurph

I had some luck with bass in Floodwood and the northern end of Rollins. Definitely had a fun time paddling around though, and I plan to make a longer trip there again to explore the ponds some more. Thanks again for the help!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #12
x_600_x

Fished out?? lol -A blurb for guys who can't catch them. These are large bodies of water with small feeding windows. "Fished Out" Rouge groups of traveling outlaws with dip nets and dynamite under the shroud of darkness. They are NOT fished out
x_600_x is offline   Reply With Quote