Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are hunting clubs becoming a thing of the past in the Adirondack?
yes 85 44.04%
no 108 55.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #121
bobadkhunter

Good luck to all you hunters out there whether you belong to a recreational club or backpack in. Love this time of year.
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #122
bobadkhunter

if anyone is still looking an excellent Outdoor, Recreational, hunting&Fishing club...look no further, check out Robinwood Park Club (in the township of Long Lake). Our website is robinwoodpark.org We also have a facebook page you can check out.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #123
dpc34

as posted before

as I said before.. be sure and read all of the rules for any hunting club that you are interested in.....one of the reasons that some clubs are looking for members is their policy regarding members bringing in guests during hunting season....the only way a possible new member is going to see what the club is really like is being there during hunting season...the clubs don't own the game that is on their property...our club has a liberal guest policy and never has a shortage of prospective members...just saying.....if you find a club you like...stick with it and enjoy it...we are a dying breed.....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #124
equyst

I hope not
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #125
Bounder45

I think the traditional club model needs to change or it will die out. There is far too much hunting opportunity in the southern forests; new hunters have few incentives to go pay money to join up and hunt out of a remote cabin with little chance of success.

The clubs, and the landowners they lease from, should think about revising their model. Something like letting people get access and use the land (hike, hunt, fish, but no building use privileges) for a fee, in the same way that snowmobilers have to pay fees in order to use certain trails. I know as a hiker, I would love to be able to access certain private lands in order to get into the more remote parcels of state land.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #126
dpc34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
I think the traditional club model needs to change or it will die out. There is far too much hunting opportunity in the southern forests; new hunters have few incentives to go pay money to join up and hunt out of a remote cabin with little chance of success.

The clubs, and the landowners they lease from, should think about revising their model. Something like letting people get access and use the land (hike, hunt, fish, but no building use privileges) for a fee, in the same way that snowmobilers have to pay fees in order to use certain trails. I know as a hiker, I would love to be able to access certain private lands in order to get into the more remote parcels of state land.
Maybe you don't understand why clubs have leases..so they control who comes and goes and when....I have always said there is seat for every ass and ass for every seat...you just have to choose which one fits you
Old 06-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #127
trapperpete

im looking for a hunting club that has lodging for its members.Im looking at salmon pond club at the moment. Anyone here a member of that club?
trapperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:54 AM   #128
dpc34

I was for about two years...great program for deer season with great meals...only reason I left was chance to own my own cabin in a different location.nice beach and swim area with trout....enjoy
Old 06-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #129
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
Maybe you don't understand why clubs have leases..so they control who comes and goes and when....I have always said there is seat for every ass and ass for every seat...you just have to choose which one fits you
Well, if the clubs were to employ a fee-system, they would still in fact be controlling who comes and goes. I guarantee such a program would bring in more revenue but would only attract a select crowd of hunters, anglers and hikers.

The general public would stick to the big trailheads and towns.

And what I said earlier is true: the hunting club model is slowly dying out. At some point, things will have to change if the landowners and leaseholders want to keep this land in its current state of management.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #130
Lucky13

I've been a member of one of the oldest sportsman's clubs in NYS for 28 years. I've never hunted the club, but have enjoyed fishing, hiking, and biking the old logging roads. No one has ever told me that I have to hunt, just that I had to pay my dues and do the required work, and obey the by-laws. Oh, and I have to put up with the decisions of the majority of club members, many of whom enjoy riding Snowmobiles and ATV's. So I get some solitude, but there are certainly motors, and chainsaws run by the landowners. As for the traditional model and the clubs dying out, there has been a waiting list for this club nearly the entire time I've been a member. I don't think a club would deny someone membership because they didn't want to hunt, but they certainly might if the person wanted to impose some limitations on the use of the land greater than what the landowner imposed, or what the other members saw as a reasonable use of the land.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #131
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
Well, if the clubs were to employ a fee-system, they would still in fact be controlling who comes and goes. I guarantee such a program would bring in more revenue but would only attract a select crowd of hunters, anglers and hikers.

The general public would stick to the big trailheads and towns.

And what I said earlier is true: the hunting club model is slowly dying out. At some point, things will have to change if the landowners and leaseholders want to keep this land in its current state of management.
Clubs have limited options mainly because of insurance. You're either a member or your not, unless you are a guest of a member.

While many clubs continuously recruit new members, I think they're able to pay their leases. They attract not just hunters, but families who camp, fish, ride ATVs, snowmobiles, etc, and the ATVs are obviously not welcome elsewhere. I hunt in an area with a number of small private camps; all are full.

I'm not sure the "model" is dying but many leased camps have obviously been displaced when their leases are sold to the state and this has affected their overall numbers. Most of all, hunting trends are changing and getting away from the traditional still-hunt, tracking or deer drive tactics and leaning towards tree stand hunting. Still, those who hunt out of an Adirondack deer camp covet the experience.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #132
bobadkhunter

Well said Dan, I know our Club(Robinwood Park) is much more than a hunting/fishing club, its truly a recreation club. Plus we are unique in that we are in the last part of acquiring(we will own) more than 1/2 of our acreage.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #133
cityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobadkhunter View Post
Well said Dan, I know our Club(Robinwood Park) is much more than a hunting/fishing club, its truly a recreation club. Plus we are unique in that we are in the last part of acquiring(we will own) more than 1/2 of our acreage.
You guys are smart. When my friend Danny told me about the purchase I thought it was genius. I've been a member of my club for 23 years and always used it for summer recreation. I do most of my hunting on my property in Southern Tier. I am the exception but I enjoy the solitude during most of the year and the opportunity to bike, hike and canoe at nearby areas.

By the way I have not seen Danny L. in 2 years. Is he OK? Hope so. Real nice guy and co-worker and an awesome deer hunter.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #134
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobadkhunter View Post
That's awesome. If I had more time I would consider joining the Robinwood Club. I love the location and all the water offerings too.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #135
bobadkhunter

Thanks for the good words Dan regarding Robinwood, we certainly would welcome you.

Cityboy thank you also....Danny L. is doing great , talked to him yesterday. And your right he has taken over the years the biggest, nicest bucks on the property. Today he is real choosy about the bucks he harvests.

I believe most clubs are always looking for members(there are the exception), but if you advertise and offer a good experience, people will continue to join clubs. I love ours but I also like to go explore , hike, canoe a new area.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #136
Mallard1100

Send some of those bucks are way! I belong to a club on your Eastern border.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #137
bobadkhunter

Mallard, Only if you reciprocate......Since you border us , come on over for our club picnic on Aug. 4th and introduce yourself. Gate will be open for the day(about a mile in).
Old 06-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #138
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Clubs have limited options mainly because of insurance. You're either a member or your not, unless you are a guest of a member.
I'm not sure I buy that. Many of the snowmobile trails in the ADK's run through private land. What is the liability issue with that and how is it resolved?

Plus, there is always the conservation easement route, which usually absolves the landowner of any liability for hunters and hikers getting hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I'm not sure the "model" is dying but many leased camps have obviously been displaced when their leases are sold to the state and this has affected their overall numbers.
That is exactly what I was getting at. The landowners are increasingly pushing their land back to state ownership for financial reasons. When that happens, camps close or move out, many roads get closed down and we have a few years of people yelling how "forever wild" won't be honored unless everything is turned into wilderness.

If those landowners, and the leaseholders, want to keep the status quo in terms of management, they'll have to find a way to invite public access (conservation easement or fee-based). Otherwise, the land will eventually get sold back to the state.

Canada and Maine seem to have a decent understanding of how to allow multiple uses of state and private logging lands. The North Maine Woods (all private land) is a particularly good example of how forestry can be compatible with multiple uses (to include hunting and camping). Whereas here in NY, it just seems that everyone wants to have their own piece of pie without sharing....that mentality won't serve them well for the longterm.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #139
dockless
citizen

I learned of this while working in Finland for six years.
Similar laws in Norway and Sweden.

http://www.ym.fi/en-US/Latest_news/P...ans_right(4484)

We went backpacking in Lapland and would sometimes come to a private cabin on state land. It turns out that anyone can build a cabin and leave it open for the public. So it's common to build a cabin with two doors. One is locked the other available to the public. Same with the sauna by the water. Simply cut as much firewood as you used.

Not only could you camp and cut firewood, but I came across a Lapp who was mining for gold in a creek. H was using both wooden shoots and panning. Found some the previous year at that location.

Don't think it'll work in the states........different mentality than Scandinavia.

Last edited by dockless; 06-11-2018 at 10:15 AM..
dockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #140
Lucky13

The key is in the second sentence of the booklet,"Finland is a sparsely populated country..."

Most of the rules apply here on Public land but too many people think the rules only apply to others. The rules there are not extended to "yards", the Whitney's likely have a bigger yard, LOL. Also, while it may be OK to cut firewood on Public land as it is here if it is dead and down, you can't even take dead timber on private land there, only twigs.

I would disagree on Norway, having researched costs to Atlantic Salmon fish there, that is a strictly maintained private fishery that costs many ducets per day to access. It may be the same in Finland, as the booklet says you cannot fish in the fast water sections of rivers and streams un der these rules.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adirondack, camp, club, deer, hunting