Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #41
Yury
ADK 10/46
 
Yury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I went from a Volvo to a 2009 Outback one year ago and wish I had done so a lot sooner.
Neil,
You were not afraid to buy used 5 y.o. Subaru?

And what about other people?
Would you buy a used Subaru?
Yury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #42
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict
 
vtflyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West coast of New England
Posts: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Neil,
You were not afraid to buy used 5 y.o. Subaru?

And what about other people?
Would you buy a used Subaru?
Absolutely I would, and have. I bought my 2001 Outback in 2003. It is now my boys safe conveyance with 186,000 miles on the clock. No major issues.

I actually bought that one in Portland, OR and drove it back across country. There can be a significant price differential around the country. Subarus are in demand and a bit pricey here but less so on the west coast or in Florida. It's a great way to get a vacation in as well. Driving across this country gives you a fantastic feeling for its size and regional differences.
__________________
Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class
vtflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #43
Neil
Kayak-46
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Neil,
You were not afraid to buy used 5 y.o. Subaru?

And what about other people?
Would you buy a used Subaru?
Not afraid at all. It was a used 4 y.o. Subaru at the time with less than 50k miles. We wanted the 2009 specifically, which was more of a wagon than the models from 2010 onwards , which are more like SUV cross-overs. We got it from a dealer, trusted all the paperwork showing the results of a major inspection and the maintenance that was done and it was still under warranty.
__________________
The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #44
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely
 
Zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orwell NY
Posts: 763
I prefer the term "experienced" myself, but those are the cars we can afford.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #45
BillyGr
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Neil,
You were not afraid to buy used 5 y.o. Subaru?
And what about other people?
Would you buy a used Subaru?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Absolutely I would, and have. I bought my 2001 Outback in 2003. It is now my boys safe conveyance with 186,000 miles on the clock. No major issues.
I actually bought that one in Portland, OR and drove it back across country. There can be a significant price differential around the country. Subarus are in demand and a bit pricey here but less so on the west coast or in Florida. It's a great way to get a vacation in as well. Driving across this country gives you a fantastic feeling for its size and regional differences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Not afraid at all. It was a used 4 y.o. Subaru at the time with less than 50k miles. We wanted the 2009 specifically, which was more of a wagon than the models from 2010 onwards , which are more like SUV cross-overs. We got it from a dealer, trusted all the paperwork showing the results of a major inspection and the maintenance that was done and it was still under warranty.
Not to mention that getting one from another area (as referenced above, particularly a southern, warmer area like Florida) may be a better idea as it can be better quality having not been exposed to the winter conditions that we have here in NY.
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #46
Alpine1
Member
 
Alpine1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North River, NY
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
Not to mention that getting one from another area (as referenced above, particularly a southern, warmer area like Florida) may be a better idea as it can be better quality having not been exposed to the winter conditions that we have here in NY.
I've heard that when buying a Florida car and bringing it north it will rust very fast. Not sure how reliable the info is. VTFLYFISH curious how the Portland car held up to rust?
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #47
EagleCrag
Member
 
EagleCrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gloversville, NY
Posts: 1,220
Justin: I think the car in that picture you posted wasn't abandoned. The guy just parked there while he went hiking.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #48
Neil
Kayak-46
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,975
Friend of mine (from Montreal) bought himself a brand new Subaru Outback In NH and imported (or exported, depending on your POV) it into Canada. When all was said and done (various taxes, duty, inspections etc.) he saved $CDN 8,0000!
__________________
The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #49
Troy64
Member
 
Troy64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 205
Why All The Subarus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Friend of mine (from Montreal) bought himself a brand new Subaru Outback In NH and imported (or exported, depending on your POV) it into Canada. When all was said and done (various taxes, duty, inspections etc.) he saved $CDN 8,0000!

I wish that worked when Americans try and import Canadian beer. The fees at the border can be steep.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Troy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #50
Rivet
Likes to hike
 
Rivet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuterocky View Post
I'm hoping to get an Outback or Forester for my next car (currently have a FWD Pontiac Vibe with OEM roof rails and Inno crossbars). Won't be for a few years though unfortunately
I'm in the same boat. I have a 2005 Vibe FWD and am looking to get a new AWD small SUV/wagon/crossover/whatever .... debating between Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Forester.
__________________
My hiking blog
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #51
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Justin: I think the car in that picture you posted wasn't abandoned. The guy just parked there while he went hiking.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #52
fintastic
Member
 
fintastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31
Wow! I can't believe I started a 51 response thread! I feel like a rock star! I think I'll celebrate by posing another provocative Adirondack question. Such as, why has it been anything but very easy for me to locate a 6-pack of Saranac Black Cherry soda whenever I am in Saranac Lake?!?? I know, I know - not transportation related. Here comes the administrator's warning......
fintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 PM   #53
Yury
ADK 10/46
 
Yury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Friend of mine (from Montreal) bought himself a brand new Subaru Outback In NH and imported (or exported, depending on your POV) it into Canada. When all was said and done (various taxes, duty, inspections etc.) he saved $CDN 8,0000!
Not that simple.
To get all US rebates you need to be local (to have US driver's license).
Otherwise price difference is not that great.

Also, after CAD$ started sliding down, price difference started diminishing.
Yury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #54
Neil
Kayak-46
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yury View Post
Not that simple.
To get all US rebates you need to be local (to have US driver's license).
Otherwise price difference is not that great.

Also, after CAD$ started sliding down, price difference started diminishing.
Maybe not that simple (he said he put in some time) but $8000 is (or was, at the time) still $8000.

(he said he kept a spreadsheet and recorded all of his expenses so I am assuming the figure is accurate)
__________________
The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #55
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict
 
vtflyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West coast of New England
Posts: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
I've heard that when buying a Florida car and bringing it north it will rust very fast. Not sure how reliable the info is. VTFLYFISH curious how the Portland car held up to rust?
Not bad! There are now a couple of small areas where the rear quarter panels join.

Note that my buddy John oil undercoats all of his cars. His wife's 2001 Subee is completely rust free and looks brand new. I'm doing the same to my Forester.
__________________
Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class
vtflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #56
mgc
Member
 
mgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 312
I have never had any rust on any of my Volvo's. Even those with 2 or 300,000 miles. The paint is absolutely amazing.

My sisters 2008 Subaru (Florida and Illinois car) and my mothers 2006 (Northern NY car) both rusted in the rear quarter panels and wheel wells. They got rid of them due to other issues so neither of them held on to the cars long enough to see how bad it would get.....94,000 and 68,000 miles respectively.
My buddies 1800 was practically see through (from Denver to NY) and the EA80 someone gave my son (Idaho/Wyoming) simply died of old age and lack of interest....also a rust heap. The older ones were not as good as the newer ones. I hope the current ones are better yet. You should never need to add a rust inhibitor to a newly purchased car. Rusty Jones should have been out of business 30 years ago.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #57
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely
 
Zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orwell NY
Posts: 763
Our '04 Outback is starting to rust just above and behind the rear wheels but nothing too serious yet. It has been kept outside for the last 5.5 years and before that I don't know. Out here we get a lot of sand and a little salt on the roads, in Pulaski and on the state/federal roads it's all salt which I think must be worse.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #58
BillyGr
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
Rusty Jones should have been out of business 30 years ago.
If you believe this article, they are (or at least 25ish years):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Jones_(company)
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #59
Glen
Check please
 
Glen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntington Bay, NY
Posts: 1,108
Looks like Subaru is taking lessons from GM?

http://news.msn.com/us/subaru-sued-o...us-auto-defect
__________________
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #60
TCD
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,645
Actually, I'd say money-grubbing so-called "plaintiffs" and their blood-sucker attorneys are taking "me too" lessons from the folks with a legit grievance against GM. I read the details; this new suit is idiotic. Any car can wear out and eventually fail.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.