Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #81
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Go to Consumer Reports. They're the picture of objectivity and they think the Forester is the best AWD in its class.

Here's my sweet ride.
Japanese manufacturers roll out new models every 5 years. You will see opinions change depending on where they are in the cycle.

Someone may see something one vehicle has over the other that they like but considering everything there is very little separation in these vehicles, except as I said previously from an (older) male perception the CRV and the RAV are not cool probably because both target markets were young and female. But then again Subaru has really been successful targeting the female and flannel demographic....not that there's anything wrong with that.

BTW....I drive a pickup.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #82
mgc

If you are choosing your vehicle for it's AWD capabilities then the Subaru is a good choice as are the Audi and BMW X drive. These cars all are staged with full time AWD. Other AWD cars (Volvo, Honda whatever) use an active split system that transfers drive to the rear wheels after they sense wheel slippage. For the hill climb test (with Audi noticeably missing) the Subaru has a clear advantage over the other vehicles since it distributes 50% drive to the front and rear axles at all times. The other cars fail because they transfer the drive after the wheels have already lost traction.

The Volvo AWD is a mediocre system, not as good as Subaru or Audi.....but frankly, AWD is an extra and not essential function. Good tires and 4 snow tires in the winter are enough to go anywhere in any car even without AWD.

My vote is for the AMC Eagle......
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #83
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
If you are choosing your vehicle for it's AWD capabilities then the Subaru is a good choice as are the Audi and BMW X drive. These cars all are staged with full time AWD. Other AWD cars (Volvo, Honda whatever) use an active split system that transfers drive to the rear wheels after they sense wheel slippage. For the hill climb test (with Audi noticeably missing) the Subaru has a clear advantage over the other vehicles since it distributes 50% drive to the front and rear axles at all times. The other cars fail because they transfer the drive after the wheels have already lost traction.

The Volvo AWD is a mediocre system, not as good as Subaru or Audi.....but frankly, AWD is an extra and not essential function. Good tires and 4 snow tires in the winter are enough to go anywhere in any car even without AWD.

My vote is for the AMC Eagle......
Funny you said that because I was going to mention the AMC Eagle was the original ADK car.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #84
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
.....but frankly, AWD is an extra and not essential function. Good tires and 4 snow tires in the winter are enough to go anywhere in any car even without AWD.
I would challenge your 2wd, with snow tires, to make it up my long steep driveway after 6 or more inches of snowfall, which happens frequently where I live here in the heart of lake effect country. Not until I got rid of my 2wd (with snow tires) could I or any other such vehicle do it, even with a running start. But now my Subarus (Outback and Forester) easily crawl right up at slow speed.

For me, AWD is not essential only if I want to park on the road at the bottom of the driveway. Been there, done that. No more.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #85
yellowcanoe

I can get anywhere with 2WD on my Tundra with snows and sand in the back.

That is ..with a running start.

Driveways are notorious for making you slow down and turn into them. Thats where 4WD is essential in snow country if you have a steep driveway.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #86
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Subaru Weather

My wife's car went nowhere for 3 days. The old Outback was outa there and chomping at the bit to get over to Sugarbush for some fresh tracks. There were a couple of high end AWD cars and a pickup or two stuck by the wayside as we cruised up and over Ap Gap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winter.jpg (42.4 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by vtflyfish; 07-28-2014 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Added more
vtflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #87
Gman

VT, you are a Master Debator...... hahaha.

Ya I know real juvenile...something Peter Griffin would say.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #88
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
I can get anywhere with 2WD on my Tundra with snows and sand in the back.

with a running start.

Driveways are notorious for making you slow down and turn into them. Thats where 4WD is essential in snow country if you have a steep driveway.
I drove a Mustang 5.0 year round for many years.I had 4 Blizzaks on it. My driveway (a really steep one) was not for faint of heart. But, with a running start I always got there. The driveway was at the top of a long hill and pitched up steeply with a drop off on one side and a wall on the other.
My Audi's could stop halfway up and still make it....much easier to be sure but rear wheel drive and snows and technique accomplished the same.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #89
Wldrns

I just brought my new 2015 Forester Limited Edition home today!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 PM   #90
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Quote:
Good for you. I see that your bananas are happy too.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #91
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
did it come with a compass and GPS
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #92
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
It did come with a compass... as a traditional method navigator I don't need no stinkin' GPS.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #93
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
Troll.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #94
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
Troll.
As a Foz owner and having attended two CASART M&C courses taught by Mr Wldrns I couldn't resist the poke...shoot me
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #95
Jackson

Quote:
Post some pics of your new ride !
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #96
Vermont Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
Post some pics of your new ride !
with the boats on top!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #97
ADKpikebuster

I drive a yellow 400ex or my enduro gets me more places then any truck ever will, braaaappp!! And when I need a canoe I use the chevy #america

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #98
Harvey44

Quote:
I would challenge your 2wd, with snow tires, to make it up my long steep driveway after 6 or more inches of snowfall, which happens frequently where I live here in the heart of lake effect country. Not until I got rid of my 2wd (with snow tires) could I or any other such vehicle do it, even with a running start. But now my Subarus (Outback and Forester) easily crawl right up at slow speed.

For me, AWD is not essential only if I want to park on the road at the bottom of the driveway. Been there, done that. No more.
+1 My situation precisely.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #99
fintastic

Fell Short...

...I had hoped for 100 posts!
fintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #100
JimB

100 !!! I have an 03 Forester that replaced an 01. Can't be beat for blasting up snow covered hills.