Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
gmorin71

Brookies!

Kickin back with some cold ones on this memorial day and resting my arm from landing some pigs over the weekend. landed many that measured well into the 20's, as far as lbs, I have no concept of that. Mayfly hatches haven't really started yet, so nothing on dries. Every large fish was caught on the same fly, olive hare's ear. I tie my hares with thin wire, not gold ribbing. That coupled with the black tungsten bead makes me believe they were feeding on the green caddis larva that are found in massive numbers in the river and mistaking my hare's ear for that. I never thought of the fly as a caddis larva imitation, but the way it's tied, I can see it. Either way, was a great time!

nice fish landed by my buddy
https://photos.app.goo.gl/71aKqUoeVa8siVIc2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z1LzUzlE8O89iszq2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x2tulZEgl2cibsxO2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mg8GX0p3MQrNJc2f1

This one was a porker
https://photos.app.goo.gl/C3ib5iMHEZMlF1pS2

This pic upsets me. This was probably the largest/fattest brookie Ive ever caught or even seen in person. I couldnt hold it for a pic without 2 hands. I keep my fish right in the water on the bank of the river so I run the risk of them flopping and taking off which is exactly what this fish did, but its etched in my memory.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9A4n5dmb5ohWjEdF2

Then, there is the pic that doesn't exist. I hooked one fish that I cannot put into words. It ran me up and down. I was pretty close to netting it when something happened that I never expected from a brookie...It stripped the material off my fly right down to the underwire, and bent my hook to 90 degrees. Naturally, I lost it, but it was easily the largest river trout I have ever hooked, let alone a brook trout. Either way I landed an array of fish that I'll remember for a long time.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
bioguide

Congrats... nice slabs and good story. Enjoy the beers and rest well.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
Stillhunter

Beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing. Quebec?
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
geogymn

Wow1 Sounds and looks like a fine day!
Old 05-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Nice!!!
Old 05-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #6
RipVanWinkle

Wow! very nice. I didn't realize you could catch brookies that size in a river in the ADKs.
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
gmorin71

My apologies guys, I was writing the post and meant to include that these are not adirondack fish but I previewed it and hit submit. I take a couple of trips well outside of our area each year and these came from one of those trips. Sauntered out to no man's land area of maine. I wish there were river opportunities for brookies like these in the daks

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
Edb 46 er

Good fishing Gmorin. Looks like it was worth the trip!
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
beartooth91
beartooth91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
My apologies guys, I was writing the post and meant to include that these are not adirondack fish but I previewed it and hit submit. I take a couple of trips well outside of our area each year and these came from one of those trips. Sauntered out to no man's land area of maine. I wish there were river opportunities for brookies like these in the daks
Yeah....I've really been researching the Rangeley area......for ponds, actually. I have a bunch of candidates, though the river fishing.....Upper & Lower Dam, Rapid River, are more well known.
beartooth91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #10
wildbrookies

Man, looks like you were up in Goose Bay,Labrador!!

Those are some very serious brookies,especially on a fly rod and in a stream.No wonder your sore! I`d still be drinking beer! HaHa! Thanks for sharing this post with us.Awesome!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
bosco

those are some beauties. congrats on finding that spot.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote