Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
beartooth91
beartooth91

Fishing Report: Catskill Brookies - 5/27/2018

Fishing Report: ‘20 Minute Pond’ and ‘Birch Lake’ 5-27-18

Made a quick trip up to the Catskills, to fish ‘20 Minute Pond’. Ended up also fishing ‘Birch Lake’…..summaries below. I didn’t have my Canon S110 with me, so, there are no pics. However, I do have video, on my YouTube page, here: https://youtu.be/0uRsIOPKmDw

‘20 Minute Pond’ Summary:
  • The turnoff, from the trunk road, to the trailhead was packed with people and cars.
  • There were probably 8 or 9 other vehicles at the trailhead parking lot. As I started up the trail, I had a brief encounter with a couple and their two Pit Bulls. One was very aggressive to me. We have two Boxers and I love dogs, but, I was more than a bit concerned about its aggressiveness. Wearing an external frame pack with a float tube may have been a little intimidating to it.
  • The hike to the pond is about 20 minutes up a closed road.
  • There is a locked gate, across at the trailhead. Yet, on down the trail, I found two fully-set up camps. We’re talking multiple tents, ice chests, tables, etc. One had a mini-van present…….?
  • I made it to the lake around 8:20 am. There was one campsite near the outlet on the opposite side of the lake.
  • The forecast had called for 40% chance of showers. Except for a couple of brief periods, it rained all day.
  • I fished for approx. 3 hours. I caught or saw no trout. I ventured a little too close to a beaver lodge, halfway down the west shore line where I spotted a small fish in the 5 inch range. It was not a trout. Several minutes later, on down the lake, I caught a golden shiner of about 5 inches. The fish spotted around the beaver lodge appeared to also be a shiner.
  • Due to the lack of action and concerns about the trout population vs. the shiner population, I decided to pack up and drive a couple of ridges over to ‘Birch Lake’.
  • As I was heading down the trail, I ran into a procession of folks……including the couple – with their extended family – with the pit bulls. Again, the brown/white one acted very aggressive towards me.

‘Birch Lake’ Summary:
  • I arrived about 1 pm and ate lunch at the lake shore in one of the brief periods of no rain.
  • I’ve never seen so many cars and people in my life. There were 4 of us (vehicles) coming up the access road together. Vehicles were parked a good ways down the access road and the other cars went into the overflow lot. I managed to find a spot in the main parking area.
  • Despite the amount of people, there was no one fishing! There were all kinds of camps around the lake.
  • I fished from about 1:45 pm until 5 pm or a little after. I caught and released 6 Brook Trout, 1 Bullhead, and 1 Shiner.
  • My 2nd trout, a beautiful Brookie of about 13-14 inches, was hooked on the top fly and a Bullhead was also hooked with it on the bottom fly.
  • On both lakes, I noticed the same charcoal-wing mayfly dun that I’ve seen before up here. Later in the afternoon, more mayfly duns started popping up. These looked like Callibaetis mayflies like I’m used to out west.
  • The bite went off just before 4:30p. I’d heard some good things about the surface activity, the previous evening, from one of the campers. I considered staying, but, I was cold and wet from the unrelenting rain.

Last edited by beartooth91; 05-28-2018 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
beartooth91 is offline   Reply With Quote