Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
PaPaddler

Question Pike & Perch near St. Regis Canoe Area?

Hi folks,

New user here planning our first canoe trip to the Adirondacks. My wife and I are planning 4 nights in the St. Regis Canoe area June 30 to July 4 and I was hoping to get her the chance to catch her first Northern Pike as well as perhaps a few Yellow Perch for a fish fry dinner. Was thinking Upper St. Regis lake would offer the best chance of this happening...am I correct? Would the pike be in the shallows by this time of year or should we look for some cooler drop-offs near fishy shallows?

We'll also try to get some trout but I'm catch and release on those. We will base camp on Little Long Pond (east) or St. Regis Pond and try them for trout, with a day trip to Fish Pond. I know they are tougher to catch as the water warms but will seek out some cooler waters to target them.

Any input is welcomed...including campsite recommendations! We've done nearly a dozen back-country trips in Algonquin Provincial Park so we're familiar with what's required to access different areas so we're just green to the Adirondacks and not canoe-tripping.

Thanks so much in advance!
PaPaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Lucky13

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_mari...streglkmap.pdf

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_fo...lsmithscel.pdf

Look for weed beds for both perch and Pike, fish the deepside edges of the weeds for the pike, in openings in the weeds for perch. As minnows a getting harder to find and next to impossible to catch and carry, try getting some waxworms for perch bait.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
PaPaddler

Excellent. Thanks for the tips, will try the waxworms. I have already downloaded the bathymetric map for Upper St. Regis although the large scale on that leaves something to be desired. I'd be more likely to use that if we were after Lake Trout or Walleye. Hadn't seen the Paul Smith's easement map - nice addition!
Old 06-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
EagleEd

Adk Forum

Pa:

Plenty of help on here. I grew up in Morrisville until 1956 and then into a career with the YMCA after graduating from Lycoming College in Williamsport.
Might want to also try the wiggily red worms for the perch.
Now live in Saratoga Springs with plenty of fishing in this area as well.

Eagle Ed
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #5
PaPaddler

Thanks, Ed! We live less than 10 miles from Morrisville and I drive thru daily to work. Stranger still, our son is a senior at Lycoming College (my grandfather graduated from there as well!). Two varieties of worms it will be!
Old 06-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
bluestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaddler View Post
Hi folks,

New user here planning our first canoe trip to the Adirondacks. My wife and I are planning 4 nights in the St. Regis Canoe area June 30 to July 4 and I was hoping to get her the chance to catch her first Northern Pike as well as perhaps a few Yellow Perch for a fish fry dinner. Was thinking Upper St. Regis lake would offer the best chance of this happening...am I correct? Would the pike be in the shallows by this time of year or should we look for some cooler drop-offs near fishy shallows?

We'll also try to get some trout but I'm catch and release on those. We will base camp on Little Long Pond (east) or St. Regis Pond and try them for trout, with a day trip to Fish Pond. I know they are tougher to catch as the water warms but will seek out some cooler waters to target them.

Any input is welcomed...including campsite recommendations! We've done nearly a dozen back-country trips in Algonquin Provincial Park so we're familiar with what's required to access different areas so we're just green to the Adirondacks and not canoe-tripping.

Thanks so much in advance!
Hey Paddler...
Done more than a few trips to Little Long East. Best site is #5. We always accessed the pond via Upper St. Regis Lake. You can follow the road off Rt.30 called "St. Regis Carry Rd" and it will bring you down to a small "St. Regis Boat Club" put in area...1/4 mile paddle to the portage between Upper St. Regis and Bog Pond, small incline and 75 yds portage, short paddle through grass lined bog.....maybe a couple moss mats you have to hop over...which will bring you to Bear Pond. Bear to Little Long East is a bit longer portage maybe a couple hundred yards and is steep to start but levels out.... when entering via Bear Pond you'll have to paddle about halfway though until you hit a bottleneck, when you see that small opening to the lower part of the pond look to your left a couple hundred yds up and you'll see a clearing that you have to paddle around to get to large beach head landing for an easy in and out with the canoe. Holds a decent breeze most of the time to eliminate MOST of the bugs....Also enough area for a bit of shore fishing. Privy located about a couple hundred yards behing the site...If your looking to get to St. Regis Pond you can use the portage to Green Pond which is 5 minutes from campsite 5 and after a quick paddle across Green will bring you to a plank walkway to St. Regis...We maybe going up the same weekend! Have fun!! Hope the info helps.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #7
PaPaddler

Thanks so much, Bluestar, always nice to have a “boots on the ground” perspective. We’ll be in a green souris river quetico...give a shout out if you see us about.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I believe one of the sites on Little Long just had a fire that burned about an acre before being suppressed, camp fire not extinguished properly according to report. Haven't been there this yeasr yet, maybe next week M-W.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
bluestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Yankee View Post
I believe one of the sites on Little Long just had a fire that burned about an acre before being suppressed, camp fire not extinguished properly according to report. Haven't been there this yeasr yet, maybe next week M-W.
Oh no....Yankee if you do make it up and locate the burned site could you post the site number on here.....Last knowledge for me was 5 sites with one closed for reclamation...No reason for that....smh…..water, stir, water....damn.

Thanks in advance!
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote