No announcement yet.

Stashed boats=garbage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree, most are in bad shape. I like TBPDPTI's plan. Haul 'em out, sell them for scrap, donate any money to the Adk organization of your choice (if it's an "outdoor" organization, restrict your donation for trail maintenance use only).

Comment

• Originally posted by randomscooter View Post

I will be contacting some DEC folks I know to see if there is anything that WE, the owners of the property on which these boats/trash have been illegally dumped, can do about it.
      If everyone who finds a boat or illegal campsite or "gear depot" were to carefully note the position (GPS coords would be best) and post it to a central web "catalog" with pictures it would be possible for volunteers, say as part of an annual event, to go in and haul the trash out and dispose of it properly.

This would require some organization, some sort of liaising with the proper authorities and of course- the actual work itself.
      The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil View Post
        If everyone who finds a boat or illegal campsite or "gear depot" were to carefully note the position (GPS coords would be best) and post it to a central web "catalog" with pictures it would be possible for volunteers, say as part of an annual event, to go in and haul the trash out and dispose of it properly.

This would require some organization, some sort of liaising with the proper authorities and of course- the actual work itself.
        I hereby propose the following name for the above activity - geotrashing.

I would like to believe that at least some of the hordes of geocachers out there might find that the new sport of geotrashing provides purpose in addition to recreation.
        Scooting here and there
        Through the woods and up the peaks
        Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."â„¢

Comment

• Originally posted by randomscooter View Post
          I hereby propose the following name for the above activity - geotrashing.

I would like to believe that at least some of the hordes of geocachers out there might find that the new sport of geotrashing provides purpose in addition to recreation.
          I like it! Is there any way we could use the forum to create our database of geotrash?
          Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

• I was part of a medical emergency in a wilderness area very recently. I bushwacked close to a mile to a pond that I knew had a canoe stashed on it. I also knew there was no paddle with the canoe. . I used an unopened MRE lashed to a forked branch as a paddle and traveled to the far end of the pond to meet our fellow camper. We then canoed to the carry, took turns carrying our friend to where we left our gear hauler and made it back to our truck and out to emergency room.

Whole incident, from injury to emergency room took close to nine hours. We would have been screwed if that canoe wasn't there.

Just sayin', not all " eyesores " are useless.
            Give me the mountains, or give me death.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crokit View Post
              And the "devil's advocate" response: Most backcountry boats don't come with PFDs, and very few people carry them when using stashed boats in the backcountry. How long will it be before there is an accident resulting in significant injury (or even death) that could have been avoided if the boat wasn't there to begin with?

I'm not disagreeing with your point, just pointing out that the utility of stashed boats in the backcountry is still pretty subjective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crokit View Post
                I was part of a medical emergency in a wilderness area very recently. I bushwacked close to a mile to a pond that I knew had a canoe stashed on it. I also knew there was no paddle with the canoe. . I used an unopened MRE lashed to a forked branch as a paddle and traveled to the far end of the pond to meet our fellow camper. We then canoed to the carry, took turns carrying our friend to where we left our gear hauler and made it back to our truck and out to emergency room.

Whole incident, from injury to emergency room took close to nine hours. We would have been screwed if that canoe wasn't there.

WoW. This incident occurred in the ADk's?

Comment

• Originally posted by azimuth View Post
                  WoW. This incident occurred in the ADk's?
                  Maine.
                  Give me the mountains, or give me death.

Comment

• I volunteer to form a group of ATVers under the DEC auspices, to find, release and drag chained boats to the nearest road where a large flatbed truck will pick them up. They could then be auctioned off. Useable craft with paddles near water would be GPS marked but left alone. I might even provide the truck. In addition all junk and trash would be hauled out also. Comments?
                    Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

• Get another hobbie
                      in memory of Jimmy Johnson, an Adirondack Legend

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "

Comment

• Fifth Amendment

Originally posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
                        Get another hobbie
                        Your comment makes me wonder whether you might be a canoe stasher! Just remember to unlock your chain if you have one and we'll leave your stashed craft alone.
                        Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

• Jiminy Johnson

Originally posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
                          Get another hobbie
                          Any relation to Jeremiah Johnson? Isn't Jimmy still with us?

Comment

• I've come across plenty of old vehicles, camp remains, old soda bottles, car batteries, tires, a smoker, even a coke machine.....it'd take an concerned citizen like yourself years to haul all of it out, you should start there first then work on hiking boats out of ponds

Comment

• Originally posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
                              I've come across plenty of old vehicles, camp remains, old soda bottles, car batteries, tires, a smoker, even a coke machine.....it'd take an concerned citizen like yourself years to haul all of it out, you should start there first then work on hiking boats out of ponds
                              Must be your old campsites
                              Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

• Ohh Gman I'm all about leave no trace in the ADKs all my beer cans and boats come out the same way they went in, no worries....I have been know to use other people's " stashed" boats, go over to hortons and calm your nerves

Comment

Working...
                                X