No announcement yet.

Stashed boats=garbage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know where there's a pond it's only about a mile walk. It has 5 row boats on the shore nun of them are any good. If i thought I wouldn,t get in trouble I would be willing to drag them out and take them to the salvage yard and sell them for scrap. Tell me what you think? do you think I would get in trouble for taking them?

Comment

If they're not safe, and they're not there legally, I can't see why the authorities would stop you from removing them. Call it your earth day good deed.
      He found himself wondering at times, especially in the autumn, about the wild lands, and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his dreams.

Comment

I'm more concerned with people who leave trash in their firepits or discard litter on the trail then i am about stashed boats. the caveat however is that if a boat is stashed on public land, then it should be for public use and not chained to a tree.

If I were to come across a boat chained to a tree on public land, my reaction would to bring in bolt cutters my next trek in and free the boat so it will be "forever wild".

Hawk
        "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by snelly View Post
          I know where there's a pond it's only about a mile walk. It has 5 row boats on the shore nun of them are any good. If i thought I wouldn,t get in trouble I would be willing to drag them out and take them to the salvage yard and sell them for scrap. Tell me what you think? do you think I would get in trouble for taking them?
          Again, if you're caught removing them by someone who either owns the boat, or uses them enough to feel ownership towards them, it could result in a potentially violent confrontation.

Your best bet would be the contact the DEC first, specifically the ranger who's patrol district the pond is in, and ask them.

Comment

What did you say the name of those ponds were where the boats are stashed?

Comment

Originally posted by EagleCrag View Post
              What did you say the name of those ponds were where the boats are stashed?
              Rock Lake, Mud Pond, Clear Lake, and Round Pond.

Seriously though, just about every lake and pond in the Adirondacks?

Especially ones where there's fish. I know a guy who will walk around a pond looking for boats. If he finds a bunch he figures the fishing is good and will come back with his gear.

Comment

Originally posted by vtflyfish View Post

Funny, you don't see many trashed campsites or boats in other areas of the country like the Rocky Mountains. Rangers there are incredibly strict and the penalties are high. Hmmm...
                I too, have experienced this same phenomenon in my few trips out west...We do have an extremely vital, beautiful land...As GREAT as it is...As VT noted, it could be even more magnificent...There will NEVER be consensus on this issue, nor any other ADK issue...Maybe that is a good thing, maybe it's not..It's just a fact...

Well Glen, I guess you stirred the pot on this one...

Not taking any particular side on this one except for the fact that I am truly tired of eyesores, and that most of the boats I have seen are either chained or not seaworthy or garbagey looking...
                "The way I see it, you're hooked.Trout have you. Another soul lost." Elias Wonder, The Earth is Enough by Harry Middleton

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post
                  I'm more concerned with people who leave trash in their firepits or discard litter on the trail then i am about stashed boats. the caveat however is that if a boat is stashed on public land, then it should be for public use and not chained to a tree.

If I were to come across a boat chained to a tree on public land, my reaction would to bring in bolt cutters my next trek in and free the boat so it will be "forever wild".

Hawk
                  Sums it up perfectly IMHO

Comment

Work Day

Perhaps those annoyed with the boats can organize a work day to remove ones that are full of holes and clearly of no use, which qualify in everyone's mind as garbage. The consensus here seems to be that those need to go.

It could be one of those very, very rare circumstances where a thread produces a useful and meaningful result!

Comment

Originally posted by colden46 View Post
                      Rock Lake, Mud Pond, Clear Lake, and Round Pond.
                      Don't forget Fish Pond, Grass Pond, Polliwog Pond, Horseshoe Pond, Trout Pond, Long Pond, Follensby Pond, Gull Pond, Mill Brook, Beaver Pond, Spectacle Pond, Goose Pond, Deer Pond, South Lake, North Lake, West Lake, East Lake, Otter Lake, Spruce Lake, Balsam Lake, Tamarack Lake, Pine Lake, First Pond, Second Pond, Third Pond...

Comment

Indian river, Horn Lake, Middle Branch Lake

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                        Don't forget Fish Pond, Grass Pond, Polliwog Pond, Horseshoe Pond, Trout Pond, Long Pond, Follensby Pond, Gull Pond, Mill Brook, Beaver Pond, Spectacle Pond, Goose Pond, Deer Pond, South Lake, North Lake, West Lake, East Lake, Otter Lake, Spruce Lake, Balsam Lake, Tamarack Lake, Pine Lake, First Pond, Second Pond, Third Pond...

Comment

Originally posted by fisher39 View Post
                          Perhaps those annoyed with the boats can organize a work day to remove ones that are full of holes and clearly of no use, which qualify in everyone's mind as garbage. The consensus here seems to be that those need to go.

It could be one of those very, very rare circumstances where a thread produces a useful and meaningful result!
                          Sure, why not? You go ahead and organize it, then let us know the timing, etc.
                          Scooting here and there
                          Through the woods and up the peaks
                          Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

Originally posted by fisher39 View Post
                            Every thread on the forum yields me a useful and meaningful reason to goof off.
                            The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

About 10 years ago I was at one of my favorite ice out ponds....I hauled my canoe in becasue I am a firm believer of carry it in, carry it out...no if, ands or buts. Anyhow, I stopped for lunch on the shore, and watched two guys walk down the trail, haul a boat out of the woods, put a motor on it and off they went fishing. That is when I started counting the boats scattered all around the lake...some were sunk, many others were hidden...but most of them were blatently out there in the open....and the more I looked, the more I got disgusted. I wondered if the guys in the motorized canoe actually registed their craft??? I know I have my canoe registered for electric motor use....I also wondered if I wanted to pick one of these abandoned canoes and haul it out would I be stealing? So, I went home and asked all these questions in a letter to DEC....and reminded them that in their by-laws its illegal for anyone to store property on state land. They responded with something like "we know that is a problem at this lake and we will try to curb the abuse. The next year DEC had a notice at the trail head, stating that if you put a motor on any craft it must be registered. I thought wow...at least they are trying. So I hiked in for my annual fishing trip and noticed many of the canoes had register stickers on them...so I took pictures of the stickers and again wrote DEC a letter and stated that yes, boats are registered....BUT they are still storeing them at the lake, and look here...you can even look up who they are by the registration number. Needless to say, it took about 8 years....but Fawn Lake is now clean of all the garbage boats...and each year, when I go there to fish in the spring, I feel I had something to do with it....and it makes me proud to protect the wilderness I live in as an Adirondack resident. I know my "blowing the whistle" on this blatent abuse of state owned lands might not be popular with folks, but the lake is a lot better looking without all the garbage boats laying around...it was really out of hand! If it was just 1 boat hidden in the woods then I probably would not have made the big fuss....but I counted 18 boats on one of my trips, not including the ones sunk at the bottom of the lake.

Comment

How exactly would we haul the boats off the bottom? if we did want to clean up a pond/lake?

Why are there so many boats with holes in them? I've never ruined any of my boats over the years to this extent. Is it malicious?

Comment

Working...
                                X