No announcement yet.

Stashed boats=garbage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These boats and canoes weren't all left by regular people , A pond my group of hikers and fishermen found years ago(about a 10 mile hike) had a small 2 man aluminun boat hid by it. Guess what was printed on the boat, NYS DEC.
    Not to far from this pond was(once upon a time) a Ranger station, It was burned down(by NYS)
    and apparently ther boat was left behind. We had great fun with this boat. we caught some VERY nice native Brooktrout nearly every time we went on this hike. I'm certainly glad this boat was left behind, we had some great times because of that boat.

Comment

I have seen a few places in the Moose River Plains where this was the case as well.

Originally posted by ;145292
      Guess what was printed on the boat, NYS DEC.
      While we're on the clean up the old boats kick maybe the old logging camp remnants should be on the same wish list?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine1 View Post
        While we're on the clean up the old boats kick maybe the old logging camp remnants should be on the same wish list?
        I guess you could toss in old hunting camps while you're at it. I have run across a few in my off-trail wanderings. Also, while most of the Lean-to's I've seen are spic and span, some are a real mess. The one on Giant Mtn was disgusting when I stopped in for lunch 3 years ago. Old rotting tents and tarps, TP (of the used variety) everywhere out back.
        The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
          I guess you could toss in old hunting camps while you're at it. I have run across a few in my off-trail wanderings. Also, while most of the Lean-to's I've seen are spic and span, some are a real mess. The one on Giant Mtn was disgusting when I stopped in for lunch 3 years ago. Old rotting tents and tarps, TP (of the used variety) everywhere out back.
          Any lean-to that is degraded from disgusting slobs should be burned down. Let them camp in a hammock, they don't respect state property so it shouldn't be provided to the animals to use & abuse.

Comment

I guess you could toss in old hunting camps while you're at it. I have run across a few in my off-trail wanderings.
            Whoa guys, hold on re the old logging camps and hunting camps! Those sites are loaded with interesting artifacts if you ask me!

Comment

Originally posted by fisher39 View Post
              Whoa guys, hold on re the old logging camps and hunting camps! Those sites are loaded with interesting artifacts if you ask me!
              Assorted plastic buckets, mountains of rusted tin cans, rotting blue plastic tarps rusted stoves and stove pipe and....old gallon whisky bottles, which are pretty cool actually. But that other stuff, when does it quit being garbage and become artefactual?

Comment

Assorted plastic buckets, mountains of rusted tin cans, rotting blue plastic tarps rusted stoves and stove pipe and....old gallon whisky bottles, which are pretty cool actually. But that other stuff, when does it quit being garbage and become artefactual?
                Not to mention old gas range stoves, metal bed frames, collapsed roofs, piles of old rotten tarps, etc.

Comment

If you'd leave the snowshoes home and make room in the pack you could start hauling the gems out to the edge of the highway...
                  better wait till next earth day though

when does it quit being garbage and become artefactual?

Comment

But that other stuff, when does it quit being garbage and become artefactual?
                    If I remember correctly, the general legal limit is 50 years. If graffiti is 49 years, 364 days old, it's still graffiti and needs to be washed off the building. But it's its 50 years old, then it's historic.

My mind could be making that fact up though.

Comment

I found this in the Sawtooths. I think it's a '57. Good thing I left it in situ.

Comment

Oh, nevermind - that stuff is junk! Jeesh, that's bad. As DSettahr says, it needs to have aged at least 50 years, and preferably 75 years or more.

Speaking of modernish junk piles in the middle of nowhere - does anyone know off the top of his or her head when the state really started clamping down on float plane access?

Comment

Originally posted by fisher39 View Post
                          Speaking of modernish junk piles in the middle of nowhere - does anyone know off the top of his or her head when the state really started clamping down on float plane access?
                          It was when they started designating wilderness areas... I don't recall the dates exactly off the top of my head... I want to say late 60's or early 70's.

I bet a lot of the old, useless, "trashed" boats stored on backcountry lakes were carried in by float plane and left there.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                            If I remember correctly, the general legal limit is 50 years. If graffiti is 49 years, 364 days old, it's still graffiti and needs to be washed off the building. But it's its 50 years old, then it's historic.

My mind could be making that fact up though.
                            ''Historical Debris can be cashed in'' now thats when it gets full attention looncry

Comment

Originally posted by looncry View Post
                              ''Historical Debris can be cashed in''
                              Antiques! Poke around any antique shop and you'll see there's a lot of money to be made in historical debris.

DSettahr, that timing about the float planes makes a lot of sense. I'm glad it happened!

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                                I bet a lot of the old, useless, "trashed" boats stored on backcountry lakes were carried in by float plane and left there.
                                This would lend a new interpretation to the "carry in-carry out" adage.

Ie. "I didn't carried the damn thing in here so why the heck would I carry it out"?

Comment

Working...
                                X