Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2018, 11:48 PM   #41
Bounder45

I think I'm holding off on further deer hunting until the leaves are fully down and snow starts to hit...I've read a bit about the ADK deer trackers, and the more time I spend hunting up there, the more I begin to understand the wisdom of such tactics.

Might go for some bear trips in the interim, but I haven't found much sign in my neck of the woods.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #42
Robin

This year I'm going to pass on my 7th annual Lows Lakes canoe in deer hunt with my wall tent and wood stove. Some lingering health issues and the effects of the medication have zapped me of strength. Hopefully next year I'll be back on track, the prognosis is excellent.
Camping and hunting the western end of Lows in late October has been a great experience, just being out there and having the place virtually to myself was amazing. Hunting the big woods where the only sounds are from nature make the effort worth it. Wandering a woods and never seeing a stump from a chain saw or visiting moose scrapes that go 6' high is something I'll never forget.
So this year I'll pass on the 12 mile paddle in and the carry around the upper dam, hopefully next year I'll be back on track, maybe not as far in, but I'll give her a try. Here's a video of last year's trip for those that might be interested.
https://youtu.be/VzGGJhuVshQ
Old 10-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #43
Jack

Robin, I really enjoyed your video adventures and I’m sorry that you will miss this year. Here’s hoping that you make it next year. I just returned from a planed 8 day trip to my favorite back woods place, turns out I only got 6 days. My health has started to slow me down and give me pause. I’m not ready to throw in the towel but I’m thinking about it. That said, I’m still planning for my next adventure. Take Care!
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #44
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
This year I'm going to pass on my 7th annual Lows Lakes canoe in deer hunt with my wall tent and wood stove. Some lingering health issues and the effects of the medication have zapped me of strength. Hopefully next year I'll be back on track, the prognosis is excellent.
Camping and hunting the western end of Lows in late October has been a great experience, just being out there and having the place virtually to myself was amazing. Hunting the big woods where the only sounds are from nature make the effort worth it. Wandering a woods and never seeing a stump from a chain saw or visiting moose scrapes that go 6' high is something I'll never forget.
So this year I'll pass on the 12 mile paddle in and the carry around the upper dam, hopefully next year I'll be back on track, maybe not as far in, but I'll give her a try. Here's a video of last year's trip for those that might be interested.
Godspeed! Your adventures take a lot of energy.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #45
Cpswing555

Robin, maybe next year you could find an apprentice to take along. help carry part of the load. Just an idea. Best of luck on a speedy and full recovery.
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #46
Stillhunter

I was able to hunt Tuesday and Wednesday in Town of Long Lake. Covered 3 miles Tuesday and 4 on Wednesday. Saw 2 scrapes and 4 rubs first day and 4 scrapes and 9 rubs on Wednesday. Plenty of beeches still holding leaves kept visibility limited. Great to be back out.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:34 PM   #47
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
I think I'm holding off on further deer hunting until the leaves are fully down and snow starts to hit...I've read a bit about the ADK deer trackers, and the more time I spend hunting up there, the more I begin to understand the wisdom of such tactics.

Might go for some bear trips in the interim, but I haven't found much sign in my neck of the woods.
'Know the trackers very well, if they get snow this weekend, they'll be out there. That's when they go, regardless of the time of the season.

As for me, I go every chance I can. I work my butt off all year long so I can have weekends during hunting season and also take a week or two off as well. The thing I've found about early season is that's when you put boots on the ground looking for does and food sources.

This weekend, well, we'll see about Saturday, we'll be in entirely different spots than where we got bucks this past weekend, and next weekend will be in another spot. We're looking for does, which is where we'll be later in the season. Find them now and and it saves a lot of legwork later.

Robin, so sorry to hear of your health issues. I hope you get some quality time in the woods.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #48
Edb 46 er

In regards to Robin. I am sorry to hear you can't make it to Lowe's this year, get well and regroup for next season.

On another note, I saw my first decent buck yesterday afternoon, a nice 8 point. But no shot. Almost, or close to twenty does in one afternoon. After all was said and done I stumbled onto what I believe was a coyote den alongside a shallow stream bank. Hard to tell, but too many coyotes in the area I hunt in Oneida county. Hopefully heading into the Moose River Plains this November, maybe a night or two.

Good hunting to all.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:52 AM   #49
Buckladd

Curious what everyone is seeing for sign. We've hit most of our spots now and have some doe groups we'll be watching the rest of the season. Very little buck sign so far, and not much for feed. We were in an area yesterday with old, rotted acorns. Ironically, that was where we saw some deer. And, what a nice hunting day was yesterday after all the rain the past two weekends.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #50
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Great video Had a camp on Lows before the state bought it up. Shot many a deer and bear in there. Really a special place to relax
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #51
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Curious what everyone is seeing for sign. We've hit most of our spots now and have some doe groups we'll be watching the rest of the season. Very little buck sign so far, and not much for feed. We were in an area yesterday with old, rotted acorns. Ironically, that was where we saw some deer. And, what a nice hunting day was yesterday after all the rain the past two weekends.
Other than tagging out early, buck tag, I have not seen much sign at my usual haunts. I see deer in far-off fields and that is about it. My buds have not seen anything either. This week with the daylight saving time ending the deer will start to move much more. Leaving me ample time to fill my management tag.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #52
Chris I

Would love to be able to post photos.

Have bucks tending some scrapes.

10/31 At 7:00p had a decent 6pt come hit the licking branch, scrape smell and move on only to be followed 15 min later by a spike following him doing the same at 7:15p.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #53
mgc

Deer are such fascinating creatures. How do they know that it's daylight savings time and change their patterns? How do they know to cross at the deer crossing signs?
The deer are biggly on the move now and have been for a week or so. I took a nice 32 yard doe with my bow the other day and saw a very nice buck yesterday. It's time to be in the woods.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #54
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
Deer are such fascinating creatures. How do they know that it's daylight savings time and change their patterns? How do they know to cross at the deer crossing signs?
The deer are biggly on the move now and have been for a week or so. I took a nice 32 yard doe with my bow the other day and saw a very nice buck yesterday. It's time to be in the woods.
Sometimes I swear they have calendars!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #55

Quote:
Sometimes I swear they have calendars!
Could be they sense the added activity in the woods (hunters)? Or hunting has just been around long enough that the timing of the season has become part of their instinct. Can't imagine we'll know, but cool to think about.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #56
Mallard1100

Heading up to my camp in Long Lake tomorrow. Heading up for the week. Can’t wait. Report to follow upon return.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #57
Tug Hill

As far as knowing to ,”cross at deer crossing signs,” that’s a deal the deer worked out with the NYSDOT and insurance companies. Some deer still cross illegally and cross wherever they want, if they are going to cross , we want them to cross legally. If those illegal crossing deer continue to cross illegally, we may have to build a wall along the road ? Along some roads we have already built some walls. Walls do work.

On Tug Hill ,When we get deep snow before deer season closes, the deer form caravans and cross the road on historic migration routes. Many hunters line up on these migration routes and try to repel them by shooting them.
:>)
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #58
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
As far as knowing to ,”cross at deer crossing signs,” that’s a deal the deer worked out with the NYSDOT and insurance companies. Some deer still cross illegally and cross wherever they want, if they are going to cross , we want them to cross legally. If those illegal crossing deer continue to cross illegally, we may have to build a wall along the road ? Along some roads we have already built some walls. Walls do work.

On Tug Hill ,When we get deep snow before deer season closes, the deer form caravans and cross the road on historic migration routes. Many hunters line up on these migration routes and try to repel them by shooting them.
:>)
You can't make this stuff up....

https://fox4kc.com/2012/10/18/woman-...ts-them-moved/
Old 11-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #59
mgc

Quote:
This post, it's a yucker. I might play this at my next HE class and see how the students react...too funny. Certainly she was spoofing them.......right?
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:19 PM   #60
Cpswing555

I leave a week from today for the Horseshoe lake region between tupper and long lakes. I'm amped up and ready to go now (if was only rich). Maybe someday I will buy a camp up there. my favorite place to go.
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote