Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
WiseFool
Backpacker

ADK Hermits

Tis the season to curl up with a good book. Can anyone recommend a book on an Adirondack hermit(s)? There are a few out there, and I'm looking to hear of people's favorites.

Cheers
WiseFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Life With Noah, by William O'Hern: http://theforagerpress.com/adk/books/noah.htm

Adirondack French Louie, by Harvey Dunham: http://frenchlouie.com/

Those are what I consider to be the two essentials...
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
BigTone
Go Big or Go Home!

I would absolutly recommend "Life with Noah" by William J. O'Hern, the personal stories that are in that particular book are fantastic and really put you in the shoes of Noah Rondeau as well as "Red" Smith. Actually, ANYTHING by William J. O"Hern would be well worth the read, he puts a great amount of work into his research, and as a historian myself, I can say that he does a fantastic job at it.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

A tad off topic: wonder if any books mention the hermit near the Kildare Club they used to talk about. Said, the club used to drop off groceries for him.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Adirondack French Louie, by Harvey Dunham: http://frenchlouie.com/
this is the one i read as a kid... excellent book. loved it.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
Adirondack Author

Suggested Classic ADK Hermit Titles & Other Biographies

I'd recommend Life With Noah; Adirondack French Louie but there are other biographies that would certainly fit the bill.
Check out www.adkwilds.com for a full description.
Adirondack Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
Otter Laker

I found this to very enjoyable! It highlights many of the hermits who called the woods home. Adirondack Characters and Campfire Yarns: Early Settlers and Their Traditions
By William J. O'Hern
Otter Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
canue

Otter Laker, Excellent book "Adirondack Characters and Campfire Yarns" How about "The Birch Bark Books of Henry Abbott", that is another great book.
canue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
WiseFool
Backpacker

Thanks all
Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
WiseFool
Backpacker

Just wanted to follow up to say that Adirondack French Louie, by Harvey Dunham, was amazing. Such a warm story of days of yore. You really get a sense that you know Louie intimately, which is ironic because so much of Louie is ultimately unknowable. I also loved how Louie's story sort of ushered out the old "North Woods" and ushered in the "Adirondacks," with all of the accompanying environmental and social and recreational implications. Great, great stuff.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseFool View Post
Just wanted to follow up to say that Adirondack French Louie, by Harvey Dunham, was amazing.
If you like reading about what life was like in the Adirondack backcountry during that time period, I also highly recommend Lumberjack Sky Pilot, by Frank Reed. It focuses on the priests who would travel from lumber camp to lumber camp to make sure the lumberjacks has access to religion. It has a lot of historical information about the culture that was present in the camps, and how life was lived in that environment at that time.

There's also a old PBS special that is available on DVD that shows a lot of the film footage Frank collected from the camps in the 30's and 40's.

Last edited by DSettahr; 02-19-2012 at 12:00 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
MassawepieBoyScout

ADK Hermits

I have seen the Lumberjack Sky Pilot series on PBS. It is usually is playing in the book/video section of the Adirondack Hardware store. Haven't bought it yet, but I will someday. Enjoy the books.
Jeff
MassawepieBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote