Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
dennadk
DENN Handmade

Tongue Mountain

While hiking the trail to Montcalm point the other day I came across a stone structure about halfway out...Its about 6 x 6 and 4 foot high....has a few threaded bolts sticking up out of the mortar....anyone know what it used to be???
dennadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
NEranger21

was it on the shore? Only thing I can think of is the base footer for a dock...Please forgive me if I'm way off, my knowledge of the Lake George area is starting to blurr haha
Old 02-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Halfway out is still on the "nice" section of trail. The trail to Montcalm Point was originally intended to be a horse trail. A lot of work was put into grading the trail and making it wide and flat enough for easy horse use. Then it was discovered that there were rattlesnakes on Tongue Mountain, and the idea of using the trail for horseback riding was abandoned and they stopped working on the trail. That's why the first two-thirds of the trail are gently graded and make for easy walking, but the last third is rough going.

Possibly it had something to do with all of the work that had been put into grading the trail...
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

If you get in the Way-back Machine and set the dials for Northwest Bay in 1800 you would notice a lot of activity in that area. Sawmills, Gristmills, etc. were all over the place in the Bolton area. Is this the foundation near Bear Point you are talking about?
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
dennadk
DENN Handmade

Yes it was near the shore...close enough to the water where I would assume it was for some sort of dock...I just found it strange because it was the only one and there seems to be nothing else around it...I'll have to do a little research and see what I come up with..
Old 02-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

I was thinking more about this spot you mentioned. It seems by your avatar you are a fly fisherman. Take a walk out there and cast some bass bugs off that point into the weedy shallows near the bouy right when bass season opens. I reccomend an 8 or 9 weight. You can pop off largemouth all day long, and might get a surprise test of your skills and equipment should you latch onto one of the big ol' northerns that live around there. If its northerns you are wanting to have some fun with go a couple weeks earlier and make sure you use a wire tippet.

If you don't have the right gear and don't feel like spending the money I have a nice 9 foot 9 weight in a 4 piece just for that kinda stuff. I'd be happy to go out there and let you try your luck with it. Ever catch a 30 inch northern on a 9 foot fly rod before? Its quite an experience. A buddy who can help with a net is a nice thing to have along when that happens.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
dpc34

Shhhhh. lets not talk about the bass in LG.......
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Bass what bass? Did I say bass? I meant grass. Cast near the grass. There are no bass, the've gone to Saint Martin for retirement.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
dennadk
DENN Handmade

Hahaha...that sounds like a pretty good time..I'm always down for a fishing trip
Old 03-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Lemme kno. April for salmon. May for pike. June for bass.

I'm good to go just about anytime.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #11
wiiawiwb

Northwest Bay is excellent for bass fishing. Floating along on a canoe, casting and reeling. Have never had the pleasure of one of those northerns though.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #12
dpc34

Anyone been hiking on Tongue in the last couple of days ?????
Old 03-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #13
WiseFool
Backpacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
Northwest Bay is excellent for bass fishing. Floating along on a canoe, casting and reeling. Have never had the pleasure of one of those northerns though.
I've caught many bass right from the shore of Tongue in Northwest Bay. Actually have had better luck off shore than in the canoe. Last summer nabbed my 1st northern, probably pushing 20". Lovely area. Great swimming.
WiseFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Lotsa northerns over that way. Gotta know where to find 'em.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
dpc34

Thanks for the info on your hike....