Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #21
Hobbitling
spring fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
At Paul Smiths, the freshmen forestry students are required to know the common and scientific names of more than 100 species of trees by the end of their first semester. The urban tree management students go on to take ornamental dendrology, and there is an elective course offered in understory plant ID as well.
That's awesome. Most of my biology students can name every detail of celebrity gossip, and can tell me the make and model of a cell phone from across the room, but can't tell the difference between a Hemlock and a Maple, or that acorns come from oak trees. We spent the first three weeks of lab outdoors, and they learned a lot, but they were starting with a blank slate.

Its too bad people have to take a college level course (or think the have to) in order to learn this stuff. The term "common name" doesn't even mean anything these days. the whole point of a common name is that the average "country person" with no formal training knew these names.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
fisher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitling View Post
That's awesome. Most of my biology students can name every detail of celebrity gossip, and can tell me the make and model of a cell phone from across the room, but can't tell the difference between a Hemlock and a Maple, or that acorns come from oak trees. We spent the first three weeks of lab outdoors, and they learned a lot, but they were starting with a blank slate.

Its too bad people have to take a college level course (or think the have to) in order to learn this stuff. The term "common name" doesn't even mean anything these days. the whole point of a common name is that the average "country person" with no formal training knew these names.
I can identify the vast majority of the flora and fauna I encounter. Its of great interest to me, but I'm not sure that I'm any better off having my head filled with those sorts of details instead of celebrity gossip or football trivia.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #23
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Indian Mt. Club,Cranberry Lake,NY---1900's

I recently came into possession of internet copy of a brochure from the IMC from about 1911.. The Clubhouse was on the South Shore of Cranberry Lake in the former Nunn's Inn. The Club controlled a large chunk of the FPW and CLWF.
It will prove an interesting read for hikers who have found the ruins of the backwoods camps they had on the ponds in the area.

Please note it is a large PDF and will take a while to download. I suggest right clicking and doing a "save as."

Many thanks to Redhawk for setting up the link below.

Link... http://siouxme.com/imcbooklet.pdf

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Last edited by chairrock; 11-29-2010 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: added date
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:41 AM   #24
danceswithflies

Chairrock, great read! Thank you for making this available.
danceswithflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #25
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithflies View Post
Chairrock, great read! Thank you for making this available.
Thank you, and again I thank Redhawk for the link.I lovethe parts about the back country camps,

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #26
LaRocqueOShaughnessy
Shoelace Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Keith View Post
Winter Burials? There weren't any (except from avalanches maybe)

Do you know why another name for Shadbush (shadblow) is Service Berry?

Because in the early spring when they are in blossom, services were held for those who had died during the winter. By that time the ground was thawed enough to dig graves.
they still do this. my grandmother died in winter and we had to wait till april for her funeral.