Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Andru7

Documentary?

Went up to Spier Falls boat launch to put the boat in this afternoon and it was jam packed with cars. As we went further back in to where the actual launch is located we spotted something very unexpected. A group of people dressed in Native American clothing, some very old looking canoes, and a cameraman filming a group of 2 or 3 of these canoes heading across to the other side of the river.

As I am very inquisitive I rolled down my window, one of the "actors" was heading over. We talked for a few minutes, and he explained that they were shooting a scene for a documentary. It is apparently about a local Jesuit missionary who was captured and taken hostage by the Iroquois, he was later tortured and killed. He did not go into to much detail about the story itself, however, it was very interesting to come across something like that going on.

I am not sure if these actors were actually Natives taking part in the story or if they were paid actors. He said it would air on the Catholic channel or something like that, around January, I am unfamiliar with it so I am not sure. I am very curious about it, and it was a pretty cool thing to stumble across. I am also curious wether or not the scene they filmed was supposed to be site specific or if they just needed a place to film. Only because that river obviously would not have been dammed at that point in history. If anyone has any info on this I would love to hear more.

On a side note we decided not to disturb their filming and headed to the Palmer Falls section and the fishing was very good. 3 Walleyes 15+, 28 inch Northern, 3 Smallmouths, a perch and a fat pickerel.
Andru7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I'm wondering if this is the basis for an earlier movie (1991?) called "The Black Robe" about Father Laforgue. He is a Jesuit Missionary who tries to convert the Hurons (not part of the Iroquois Conferation, The Hurons were Algonquin speaking).
He is a pretty unsympathetic character with no real understanding of the native people. He does manage to convert many to Christianity and establish a village in Canada. However he is captured and tortured by an Iroquois Nation and the village is destroyed 15 years later.

What's difficult is to separate truth from fiction. There are four versions of the story. One by the Jesuits (who had only his letters to go by), one be the white people (who were never a part of the action), one which is part of the Huron oral history and finally the Iroquois version.
So, I guess most of it is speculation rather then known facts. I'm not even sure which of the Iroquois nations was involved. My guess would be the Seneca based on the location of the story.

The original movie featured mostly Native American actors and actresses although none were Huron.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
colden46

It's probably about Isaac Jogues. There was a recent story about him in Adirondack Life (intermixed with a story about people who make a pilgrimage every year in his honor).
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Andru7

The person I spoke with mentioned the name, I wish I could remember. I did do a little research to see if I could find a documentary in production in the area but I was unable to, yet. You both could be right.
Andru7 is offline   Reply With Quote