Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
ratbone

porcupine stew--makes me want to smack my lips. almost finished with the book and my only complaint is that I know I will want more. Another winner from Forager Press.
ratbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #22
ADKHUNTER

Came home from camp and had my copy waiting for me. Almost done after one day of reading. Excellent. Especially all the old photos.

Ed
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #23
forager
wild food is free

Hedge Hog!

The OTHER whiteish meat!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbone View Post
porcupine stew--makes me want to smack my lips. almost finished with the book and my only complaint is that I know I will want more. Another winner from Forager Press.
The back and forth between the men over the Hedge Hog Sauer Bratten (or Sour and Rotten) is pretty funny. I'd try it!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #24
forager
wild food is free

You are a fast reader Ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKHUNTER View Post
Came home from camp and had my copy waiting for me. Almost done after one day of reading. Excellent. Especially all the old photos.

Ed
Did you use a topo map at all while reading? Some of the "day-trips" they took were pretty amazing.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #25
ADKHUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by forager View Post
Did you use a topo map at all while reading? Some of the "day-trips" they took were pretty amazing.
Those guys covered lots of ground.
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #26
pllckjsnm

I wish I had read this post earlier. I will be getting your book- I can read it to my son Colvin and my dogs Noah John, Louis, and Alvah.
Thank you
pllckjsnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #27
ADKpete

A book for the ages!

Segoolie Forager,

Took my copy this past w/e to Limekiln lake for a short sabbatical along with the appropriate topo maps for navigational interests. This book was unbelievably hard to put done. The chapters flowed so easily and it more or less transported ME back to an "easier" time. Thank you very much for this magnificent contribution. I would like to also say your writing style is very much in my opinion like Harvey Dunham's, I was very impressed. Thank you again!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #28
forager
wild food is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpete View Post
Segoolie Forager,

Took my copy this past w/e to Limekiln lake for a short sabbatical along with the appropriate topo maps for navigational interests. This book was unbelievably hard to put done. The chapters flowed so easily and it more or less transported ME back to an "easier" time. Thank you very much for this magnificent contribution. I would like to also say your writing style is very much in my opinion like Harvey Dunham's, I was very impressed. Thank you again!
Segoolie Pete!
Harvey Dunham's French Louie was my inspiration to start learning more about Adirondak history and eventually to write about it, so there is no higher compliment I can imagine getting. I am humbled and thankful. That was my goal.
Its' funny, when you work on a thing so long and it's so close to your heart---this is the hardest time---the time between the release of the book and when the first reviews come in. That's when the doubts creep in and you wonder, "how did I do, could I have done better, could I have done more, is it good?"
I just heard that the Rome paper ran a piece on the book today, but I haven't seen it. That qualifies YOUR review Pete, as THE FIRST ONE and it couldn't be better, because I can tell that the subject matter, Louie and Harvey and the Adirondacks themselves are as important to you as they are to me.
THANK YOU. You made my day.
Segoolie!
-Roy
(The Forager)
Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #29
forager
wild food is free

Mission accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by pllckjsnm View Post
I wish I had read this post earlier. I will be getting your book- I can read it to my son Colvin and my dogs Noah John, Louis, and Alvah.
Thank you
Pllckjsnm, Clearly you wanted to make sure that your kids and dogs had much cooler names than yours!!!!!
~~Mission Accomplished!~~

BTW, If you see this post before you buy the book, this link will get you a "friends and family" discount: http://theforagerpress.com/friends-n-family/
Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #30
Slamdog

Got it...

Been meaning to order this book,,,, then on the way to camp last Friday I stopped at the convenince store on Rt 365 (On Hinckley Res). Sawthe book and it had been signed! Got one, and at first glance it looks awesome. Lance
Slamdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
forager
wild food is free

I was on my way to a work weekend at our club hunting camp on the West Canada a couple weeks ago and stopped at the Hinckley "Stop and Shop." I showed the owner the book and she bought six.
On the way to my camp the nuts on my ATV's back left axle stripped and the wheel almost came off before I caught on. Luckily, I was near another hunting camp who were also in for a work weekend. They had some washers and a cotter pin to hold it on I could get out.
When they insinuated "how much cotter pins are worth way up there in the woods" I said I had something to trade and got out a copy of the book to give them for helping me out. I also pointed out that their camp had made it into the book and in no time the box that I had intended to take to my club members was empty and I was doing an impromptu signing session over a few beers. Better than any signing I could have had at Barnes and Noble! Lots of laughs and I made it out okay on the repair.
Two days later the Stop and Shop in Hinckley called and ordered 12 more books. A pretty good weekend!
They're also in Remsen at the General Store and in Newport at the Gift Shop accross from Snyder fuel, and best of all they're at the West Canada Sport Shop in Middleville. All locally owned shops worthy of support and all the books are signed.
Appreciate all the support of local history!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #32
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by forager View Post
They're also in Remsen at the General Store and in Newport at the Gift Shop accross from Snyder fuel, and best of all they're at the West Canada Sport Shop in Middleville. All locally owned shops worthy of support and all the books are signed.
Appreciate all the support of local history!
Are you gonna bring some to the training events on the 6th and 20th, I assume? I'll get one then.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #33
Nessmuk
FLYFSR

After reading this thread last week....I bought the book. Got it Thursday and I can't put it down. I live up here, a stones throw from Nobleboro...I have fished every foot of the West Crick from High Falls to Metcalf Brook. It's my backyard so to speak. This book is fantastic....it's like a missing link to Dunhams French Louie book. Hats off to the writers....job well done!! This book will be displayed proudly next to my 1970 reprint of Dunhams Adirondack French Louie....given to me by an old Woodsman from Tug Hill a year before he passed. If he was still alive he would be thrilled with this book as well. If I didn't have to split wood today I woulda been out fishing the old West Crick.....probably would have caught a mess of trout on this overcast fall day!!
Nessmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #34
BigRange

I picked up this book this morning at Charles Johns Store in Speculator. I grew up in Speculator and with the story of French Louie dancing in my head (named my first son Louis in honor of him). I've already read most of the book. It's a very good read. I spent a couple of years on DEC's trail crew back in the early eighties tramping all around the West Canada Lake Wilderness. This book brings back memories.

As a little aside, I've got a box of old magazines, Field & Stream, Recreation, Hunter Trader Trapper, and many others that originally belonged to Harvey Dunham. They were given to me by my aunt Joyce Cook who received them from her friend Gil Quell (not sure if the spelling of his name is correct). Hopefully, in some distant future, my kids or their kids will show some interest in the history of the area.
BigRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #35
mailtrain
mailtrain

big range, Did you know a person by the name of Sgt. Maxwell that lived in Speculator?
mailtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #36
BigRange

Nope mailtrain, that name doesn't ring a bell. My mother might recognize it though, I'll ask her the next time I see her. Her father was Harold Graham of Graham's hotel.
BigRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #37
ADKeagle

I just picked this book up today at Chas Johns- after reading this thread I have great expectations!