Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
St.Regis

Historical Snow Plowing Footage

I bet a few of these bad boys were used in the Adirondacks, although most of the footage is from Tug Hill.

Walter Snow Fighter with a Frink V plow. Pretty amazing piece of machinery for moving LOTS of hard packed snow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=TZR2WbD3Hz0#!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
yellowcanoe

Oh yeah I remember some times going down Rt 3 in the early 60s and meeting one of those big plows going the other way...

EEK.. Snow never seemed to be as deep and compacted in the ADK's as on Tug Hill..so the plows could go faster.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
I bet a few of these bad boys were used in the Adirondacks, although most of the footage is from Tug Hill.

Walter Snow Fighter with a Frink V plow. Pretty amazing piece of machinery for moving LOTS of hard packed snow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=TZR2WbD3Hz0#!
"Bucking the drifts"
That's what they called it. I grew up in the area where this was filmed, and my parents before me too. I remember in the 1960's when this was a common sight on my road, only then it was with much larger Oskosh plows. But they had to buck forward and back in the same way coming down the road. My 92 year old father-in-law was one of those drivers, probably knew of Charlie. We don't get snow like that anymore.

And then there are the giant rotary blowers mounted on the big state trucks. With all of these trucks, there have been several cases of cars stuck and abandoned along the road being completely buried with drifting snow... and when the plow or rotary comes along unable to see... the result ain't pretty.

Last edited by Wldrns; 01-02-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Great stuff!!
Did you guys study the clothing and equipment in those films? Quite a bit different from today's synthetics!
Interesting (for me, anyway) sidenote...in the '80's I was working in Northeastern Industrial Park, formerly Vorheeseville Depot, home of Walter Truck.
Those guys were on strike for over a year, until the company folded and was bought out and moved all production north...a very effective strike, I'd say!
I had personally witnessed some Walter truck demonstrations, where they would jack the vehicle up, leaving only a single wheel touching the ground, then drive off the jacks with that single wheel providing the traction!! Try that in a modern "4WD" vehicle!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

In 93 when we had the three ft of snow an high winds an five foot or more deep drifts, I pushed a v plow in a Mack truck. A big change in trucks since then, The plow was the same make.two days it took to open up my roads.
Cold River Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
St.Regis

Land use on Tug Hill has certainly changed since that old snow plow footage. A lot of what used to be wide open fields is now woods. More woods has created wind breaks, which helps to reduce the blowing and drifting snow.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote