Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
rollinscampers

Motorboats on Rollins Pond

The DEC is currently revising the Unit Management Plan for Rollins Pond and vicinity. This seems like a good time for those who love quiet waters to make their opinion known. Please read and sign this petition to ban motor boats on this special body of water:

https://www.change.org/p/adirondack-...he-adirondacks
rollinscampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
St.Regis

Brilliant idea...get rid of more boating opportunities for older folks and people with disabilities. change.org could also go further by demanding DEC to remove the showers, bathrooms, the caretaker's cabin, kids on bikes, loud talk after 8:00 PM, pets, and cut out 90% of the campsites along the shore, then move the remaining ones at least 150' from the water to better my "semi-wilderness" experience!!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
sweeper

Isn't that called the 'Backcountry'?

You have that, except for the loud talk after 8PM, right around the corner.

Happy to hear the boats are gone.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
Brilliant idea...get rid of more boating opportunities for older folks and people with disabilities.
If these old and/or disabled individuals can manage to get a gas-powered boat into Rollins Pond, they probably have the wherewithal to do the same with an electrically-powered boat. The petition suggests making an exemption for boats with electric motors.

I believe the goal is to keep out noisy, smelly, gas/oil burners out of Rollins Pond and not people.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
OntarioSkiBum

Signed it
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
St.Regis

It seems to me that Rollins is a place where motorists and paddlers have always done well together. This may not be the norm, but I personally have never seen boaters going nuts there. My camping and paddling experiences have never been ruined by excessive boat traffic. It's a nice water, but it certainly is not undeveloped. It is kind of the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, that simply isn't good enough for some. To me it's another opportunity for selfish people - who oppose almost everything - to bitch and stamp out things they hate.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #7
madison

Unlike St. Regis, my camping and paddling experiences have frequently been ruined by excessive motorboat traffic. Motors are allowed on more than 90% of accessible waterways in the Adirondacks, so even if this suggested ban were to be enacted, those dependent on motors for their water recreation would have plenty of places to go. And by the way, it hardly seems selfish to ask for a slightly more even split between motorized/non-motorized waters. The motorized crowd has most of it and wants all of it. That seems pretty selfish to me.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #8
St.Regis

madison, I'm talking Rollins, not other waters. Have your paddling experiences been ruined on Rollins because of motor boat traffic?
Old 08-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
Bob K

The gas outboards do make more noise that I'd like, and yes they took away from my camping experience at Rollins some years ago. I drove the extra miles past Fish Creek to get a more tranquil experience for my 3 teenage daughters. As we passed thru Fish creek, all 3 noticed the density + noise there. I got an ear full, of "I hope Rollins isn't like this".

Having Fish creek so close as a "motorized" option makes me support the quiet approach for Rollins (electric allowed).

Are the any NY state campgrounds on motor-less lakes? I've stayed at many and don't recall any. And yes, I bought an electric motor for my tandem canoe specifically to minimize noise pollution.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
tombaisley

will not sign it
tombaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
It seems to me that Rollins is a place where motorists and paddlers have always done well together. This may not be the norm, but I personally have never seen boaters going nuts there. My camping and paddling experiences have never been ruined by excessive boat traffic. It's a nice water, but it certainly is not undeveloped. It is kind of the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, that simply isn't good enough for some. To me it's another opportunity for selfish people - who oppose almost everything - to bitch and stamp out things they hate.
Modern outboard motors are quiet (when used at trolling speeds) and emit few contaminates.
I would suggest a maximum horsepower (like 10) to eliminate water skiing and jet skis.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #12
dundee

Quote:
Brilliant idea...get rid of more boating opportunities for older folks and people with disabilities...
Not all older and disabled people can be lumped together. I am partially disabled (and old) and want all the Wilderness/motorless I can get. I may never get to some of the more remote places, but I am glad that they are there and are as wild as can be.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #13
St.Regis

Bob K, I've seen Fish Creek pretty nuts at times, but never Rollins. Maybe I've just hit it at a time with few boaters. But I've been there pretty often and have never been offended by them. I suspect the hp limit would preclude most water skiing, tubing, and stuff like that. I've not seen a jet ski on it.

madison, you say motor boat users are selfish. Here is a water where small motors are allowed currently, but you seem to want to take this privilege away from them because you prefer a paddle over a motorboat. Excuse me, but who is selfish one? BTW, I can't say that I've ever heard anyone say motors should be allowed on paddle-only waters. Never

Hard scrabble, I've never seen a "big" boat on Rollins. Maybe most are already running 10 hp or less. Don't know. But yes, modern 4 strokes are very quiet and much cleaner that the older 2 strokes.

dundee, You are lucky. There are lots of my older friends that can barely sit in a big boat with lots of room to move, let alone get in or out of or sit in a canoe. We aren't talking about someplace in the middle of nowhere. You drive up to your campsite and are 10 feet from a paved access drive that leads you to comfort stations, showers, volleyball courts, etc. Rip out the roads and all the attendant features and make it so people have to hike in. That'll help to get it a little wilder for you.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Brilliant idea...get rid of more boating opportunities for older folks and people with disabilities. change.org could also go further by demanding DEC to remove the showers, bathrooms, the caretaker's cabin, kids on bikes, loud talk after 8:00 PM, pets, and cut out 90% of the campsites along the shore, then move the remaining ones at least 150' from the water to better my "semi-wilderness" experience!!
Brilliant post....
Resceptfully, I think you may be exaggerating a bit here.
There are far more opportunities for motor boats than there are for quiet motorless paddles in the Adirondacks.
Petition signed & donated.

Last edited by Justin; 08-18-2017 at 05:32 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #15
dundee

Quote:

Rip out the roads and all the attendant features and make it so people have to hike in. That'll help to get it a little wilder for you.
Sounds good to me!
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #16
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
The gas outboards do make more noise that I'd like, and yes they took away from my camping experience at Rollins some years ago. I drove the extra miles past Fish Creek to get a more tranquil experience for my 3 teenage daughters. As we passed thru Fish creek, all 3 noticed the density + noise there. I got an ear full, of "I hope Rollins isn't like this".

Having Fish creek so close as a "motorized" option makes me support the quiet approach for Rollins (electric allowed).

Are the any NY state campgrounds on motor-less lakes? I've stayed at many and don't recall any. And yes, I bought an electric motor for my tandem canoe specifically to minimize noise pollution.
Brown Tract Pond is motor less, but doesn't offer the same paddlers experience, given the pond hopping you can do at Rollins.

Without motors, the juxtaposition between Fish Creek and Rollins could be further improved. If you want the crowds, the noise, the jetskis, quick access to the highway go to Fish. If you want peace and quiet, drive a bit further and go to Rollins.

I'd go one step further and ban the gas generators as well.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #17
Rich Lockwood

I encountered a motorboater on folunsby clear who seemed to go very fast for the HP limit. He said he switched
decals on his motor.
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #18
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
I encountered a motorboater on folunsby clear who seemed to go very fast for the HP limit. He said he switched
decals on his motor.
Surely an isolated incident.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #19
geogymn

In a cynical and overcrowded world some of us seek a place that is quiet, a place to escape the drone and cacophony of our modern life. Others don't seem to give it no never mind.

Last edited by geogymn; 08-19-2017 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: sp.
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #20
TCD

I'm not a paddler or a motorboater. But this looks to me like just another case of one user group trying to eliminate other user groups. "My wheels are OK, yours are not." Over and over.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canoe, kayak, quiet waters, rollins pond