Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Grey-Jay

Mountain Pond campsites, Paul Smiths?

In late spring, I need to be near Paul Smiths on business for a couple of days. Interested in finding a roadside (not paddling to) primitive campsite and not the State Campgrounds. I'm aware of the ones along Floodwood Rd. that are usually filled. Looking at the paddlers map, the only option I see is a couple of sites on Mountain Pond north of the college. Anyone know if these are ok or if any other options exist? Thank you!
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
rollins camper

There are several sites on Jones Pond just off Rt 31 close to Paul Smiths. I don't know how popular they are. They looked like nice sites.
rollins camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
danceswithflies

I stayed at one of the primitive sites at Jones Pond a few years ago. I believe there were four or five sites and a privy. My only complaint was the noise of traffic from the road and a dog that barked all night.

There are allegedly primitive sites at Slush Pond, 3.5 miles or so north of Paul Smiths off Rt 30, but I've never checked them out.
danceswithflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
AdkWiley

There are a few nice lean-tos on black pond with is off of Keesemill Road which is off 30 next to the college. Good fishing and the trails are nice as well, I was out there over the summer clearing them and put and shingled one of the roofs on a lean-to. Pretty sure theres 3 of them out there, one right as your walk in and another few out at further distances. not sure how they look now though. The trails go around the entire pond, maybe a few miles in distance, you should probably check it on a map though.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdkWiley View Post
There are a few nice lean-tos on black pond with is off of Keesemill Road which is off 30 next to the college. Good fishing and the trails are nice as well, I was out there over the summer clearing them and put and shingled one of the roofs on a lean-to. Pretty sure theres 3 of them out there, one right as your walk in and another few out at further distances. not sure how they look now though. The trails go around the entire pond, maybe a few miles in distance, you should probably check it on a map though.

The lean-tos on Black Pond are for day use only, not overnight camping. There are only two on Black Pond now.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Keithk
Keith

Don't do Jones Pond

I'd highly recommend NOT camping at Jones Pond. Not only will the road noise be an issue, but those sites are ALWAYS packed, I drive by there a lot and there are always a bunch of people there.

I drove down to look at the mountain pond sites last fall for the first time, looked nice but again close to the road.

There are a couple sites on Osgood Pond, right next to P.Smiths, that you can walk to. I remember them being quite nice, but I havn't camped there for 7 or 8 years. There are also a couple nice spots on Lake Kushaqua (I can't spell, sorry) that you can drive to. One is a grassy spot down a fairly steep hill; the turn off is right at the old church building where the "white fathers" settlement used to be. The other is a very nice sandy beach spot a little farther down the road; as you drive down the road there is a big open field on your left at one point, and the turn off is fairly well hidden, on the right. That's my favorite road-access spot in the area, but it's also used a lot. If you make it to the giant hill leading down to a bridge, you've gone a bit too far.
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
danceswithflies

Keith, if you're referring to the sites on Osgood Pond near the put-in, as of about three years ago they were no longer legal sites.
danceswithflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
Grey-Jay

Perhaps, a drive back to Floodwood rd. may end up being the best move.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
ForeverWild

On the shores of beautiful Marvin Pond (all 2 qts. of it)

Here's a spot there may not be much competition for. Not because there's anything wrong with it, but because not so many people know it's there. Provided that it is, in fact, still there and we remembered it correctly. We only saw this place once, maybe 12-15 years ago.

Across Keese Mill Road from the parking area for Black Pond, is a dirt road. Not very far down it, take the 2nd trail on your left, climb up the steep hillside until you come to relatively flat land on the shore of tiny Marvin Pond. The south shore, to be exact. My husband and I both remember a campsite there. Neither of us can remember whether there's a leanto or not.

Map here.
ForeverWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
yellowcanoe

Mountain Pond is no longer legal for camping. Used to be OK up till a couple of years ago.

I had my tent and gear stolen by a party who erected a large tent and denied (with guns and dogs) ever having seen my stuff. I too was on business at Paul Smiths and had to spend hours away from my tent.

By the time the State Police got there the party was gone.

There is a spot on Church Pond on the west shore but its a bit of a walk in the woods. Its on the skinny inlet part at the north end before the canal.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:27 AM   #11
Grey-Jay

that is terrible Yellowcanoe!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
sacredloon
Administrator

camps

You're not allowed to camp at Black pond anymore, it's day use only. A friend of mine got slapped with a hefty fine for camping there. Mountain pond is very noisy, its right next to Rte. 30. There are some nice sites there though, and its pretty quiet at night. Mtn pond still has legal campsites. If you drive past Mtn pond, and turn left (going north) on Slush pond road, there are plenty of sites back in there...kinda dark at first, but beautiful once you get back there. There is a nice open clearing next to the lake, with plenty of space. I dont think there is a picnic table or outhouse though, and its about 4 miles on the dirt road to get there. Osgood is nice place to camp, and Church pond too, short canoe or walk in to the campsites. Pretty sure Potters pond (marvins Pond) leanto (honeymooners) has been removed, will have to check. There is a canoe carry path there now. Did not see the leanto at my last visit.
Jones pond is beautiful, I camped there in the fall, perfectly fine.
sacredloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:57 PM   #13
Glen L

my $.02

Jones Pond sites are very noisy
Mt Pond sites remain open & legal. There are more than on Jones Pond but also noisy being so close to SR30
You can walk W from SR 30 to site(s) on E shore of Barnum Pond but same problem
There are some sites S of Keese Mill Rd you can walk, not drive into. Leanto shown on Adk paddlers map is mis-sited. It's actually just W of where shown on peninsula & EZ walk from KM rd & an excellent campsite. There are also more leanto's (open to public) N of Paul Smiths than shown on map - again, rd noise is an issue.
Slush Pond area sites are much quieter
There are numerous isolated drive in sites on Little Green Pond & clustered sites @ Hoel Pond.
Glen L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #14
Grey-Jay

Oh I forgot about Little Green. You need to get a free camping permit at the hatchery, when open. Lat visit, i carried my canoe into Bone Pond and caught a grogeous trout. UI do recall a rowdy bunch camping at Little Green on the weekend I went. Boombox, yelling, etc. A typical car camping summer weekend spot.