Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
Jason

Help Me Help a Friend

A friend of mine wants to come to the Adirondacks this summer with her husband. Her husband is not someone who enjoys "complete" immersion in nature, so she is looking for a compromise in terms of location. If they do not come to the Adirondacks, they will go to Alaska, so help promote the NY economy!

She is looking for a cabin with privacy that is quiet but is not completely isolated. Basic amenities (i.e. electricity) would be appreciated. Proximity to a body of water (lake or river) would be great. While days will be spent in isolation, the couple would enjoy a sufficient selection of restaurants or taverns within reasonable driving distance in order to go out at least once or twice within a week's time.

As for hiking, accessible hikes that are fun but not exhaustive would be preferred. As for scenery: the couple lives on a horse farm in the Shenendoah Valley of Virginia, so their expectations are high!

I only play around in the most isolated areas in and around the High Peaks, with no desire to be anywhere near a cabin, so I have little advice to provide to my friend.

If you know of any locations that match these requirements, I would appreciate the help. Specific information regarding groups of cabins, or a booking company, or whatever you can help with would be really great. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
woodlandclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
A friend of mine wants to come to the Adirondacks this summer with her husband. Her husband is not someone who enjoys "complete" immersion in nature, so she is looking for a compromise in terms of location. If they do not come to the Adirondacks, they will go to Alaska, so help promote the NY economy!

She is looking for a cabin with privacy that is quiet but is not completely isolated. Basic amenities (i.e. electricity) would be appreciated. Proximity to a body of water (lake or river) would be great. While days will be spent in isolation, the couple would enjoy a sufficient selection of restaurants or taverns within reasonable driving distance in order to go out at least once or twice within a week's time.

As for hiking, accessible hikes that are fun but not exhaustive would be preferred. As for scenery: the couple lives on a horse farm in the Shenendoah Valley of Virginia, so their expectations are high!

I only play around in the most isolated areas in and around the High Peaks, with no desire to be anywhere near a cabin, so I have little advice to provide to my friend.

If you know of any locations that match these requirements, I would appreciate the help. Specific information regarding groups of cabins, or a booking company, or whatever you can help with would be really great. Thanks for your help!
http://www.adirondackrealestate.com/html/rentals.html
Depending on what the price range is - this site has them catagorized by range. I would suggest Oseetah, lower, middle or upper saranac--there are great rentals around there. Then you have access to lakes (all connected by locks) and great hiking--ampersand, mackensie are not high peaks, but close and smaller hikes like scarface. village of saranac lake has great shops and restaurants and lake placid is fairly close depending - 10-30mins. oseetah is a great spot.
woodlandclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Rock

The Wilderness Inn in Wilmington has nice cabins. They are also not far from the Ausable River, hiking trails and they can walk to the restaurant.

The cabins have kitchens, fireplaces and are really well kept. They have them up front by the road or father back in the woods but they should call at least a month in advance.

All the cabins have names, I would highly recommend Hemlock, itís very private and far enough off the road so you cant see traffic. The Wilderness Inn also has great food!

Wilderness Inn
(518) 946-2391
5481 Nys Route 86
Wilmington, NY
Old 05-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
hikercop45
fat old hiker of the woods

well - maybe Adirondack Lodge??? - get one of the private rooms - they have meals too - close to the trails - and 7 miles to town - let him break into the woods a bit at a time......good luck...
hikercop45 is offline   Reply With Quote