Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #21
adkdremn
Dreamin I'm there....the ADKS!

Bit of a thread revival/update here.
Oldsmores mentioned the St. Moritz in Lake Placid. I highly recomend this place, however it's no longer the St. Moritz. It's under new management and called the Pines of Lake Placid. A couple in their late 30's early 40's bought it and are currently renovating it. I was never in it before, but it's very nice now. The renovated rooms are around $80, but they still have unrenovated rooms available for $60 icluding tax. That's where I stayed and it was fine. Clean room, full cable. They also have a restaurant and full bar. Didn't eat there, but it smelled good. Thanks to Katrina's remnants I decided to skip my reservations at the Loj campground.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:44 PM   #22
13331Girl

Hi! We just rented a cabin at the Wilderness Inn II in Willmington.
Four nights- $300. Two double beds, micro, TV, fireplace, small Frig and they let me bring Tobie ( My Golden Retriever). They have a bar and nice restaurant- which are pretty cheap. The people are really cool there. Nice to talk to.
We're actually going back next week for four days.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:28 AM   #23
dog

Places to stay and dogs

Yes, it looks like, there are no really chip place to stay in ADK .
But they are realy surviving there - all are seasonable ...

I would recommend Shamrock mote ( website is googlable ) l in Long Lake - clean quiet place, 2 KS beds,small refr. , TV ( I do not have it home ), BBQ places, beach,boat rent for 15 for per day for canoe, some territory,slope to lake seems to be a good for ski beginners -I was there only out of snow. It's within 0,5 M to South-West by R30 x R28N from that road' intersection . $65, but nobody ever has asked me how many people or dogs is going to be ( I was there ~ 4 times for last ~5 years ).
Maybe I was just lucky, but traveling across E.Coast, I took as a rule for motels :you rent a room - take your key and and enjoy .

I saw recently ? on another ADK forum about dogs and motels - I never even ask. Another thing, it's better stay on the edge of a town - to walk your dog in the morning.

And Hotel Saranac . I'm with Willie, but from another side-as a customer. The staff-students just really make theirs best. About humans and about dogs. I still have this " Pet in the Room . PLEASE DO NOT ENTER " . But I remember, they charge some as $30 for a dog ? Anyway it's a good and friendly place .

Last edited by dog; 06-06-2006 at 03:38 PM..
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #24
GimmeTrails
GimmeTrails

Not sure if anyone still reads this but I'll post it anyway. Stayed at the Alpine Inn in Lake Placid Friday night (day after Thanksgiving) for $95 for three of us (the guy gave us a cot). It was about 7:30 when we got there so he probably figured his chances of getting anyone to take the room were slim but it was the opening day at whiteface, there was a big hockey tournament in town, and the smuckers stars on ice was going on. He was bargaining with one of my buddies when the other one decided his need to drop a deuce was worth more than any money we would have saved, so he said we'll take it. Nice room, the guy was cool (don't be afraid to bargain with him), and the location can't be beat if you're going to stay in a hotel (lots o' bars in the area).
GimmeTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #25
Stimack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDog
Cascade Inn - $50 a night.....plus an all you can eat prime rib dinner on saturday nights!

VERY OLD SCHOOL, but cheap!
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I just made plans to stay at the cascade inn for a Friday night so we can get a real early start to the Loj on Saturday.

My question is this, my wife is shocked that the place is only $50 a night and was wondering what the place was like? I told her that I imagine that it is clean and has an old look to it. After saying this I got the look of, yeah it had better be! Any one have experience staying at this place?

I know I have seen multiple posts that the food is good, but wondering more about the accommodations.

Thanks!

Stimack
Stimack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #26
kwc
loser

I stayed there several years ago ... the furniture was generally mismatched circa 1960s stuff ... but it was clean. I thought it a little noisy at night because it's so close to the highway.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:01 PM   #27
dog

shamrock motel in long lake

They do not work winter .
But I forget to say in # 23 , it's a great sunset and stars views from that place. And they have small houses too .
There is Corner Motel in Long Lake - if you do not want to be actually thrown out 2 min before check out time , do not stay there .
Despite , they work all year around and no probs with dogs . $65 all . Or 60 not all .

Last edited by dog; 01-30-2006 at 01:35 AM..
Old 01-30-2006, 12:36 PM   #28
Daniel Eagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimack
my wife is shocked that the place is only $50 a night and was wondering what the place was like?
My wife and I stayed there two winters ago for two nights. Bed, TV, cramped but functional bathroom, not much else. Pretty clean, very worn. Not a place I would return to unless there were no other options, but it was better than the Jackrabbit across the street.
Daniel Eagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #29
ADKSara

Cheap - Unique - And allows dogs!!

One black fly infested Memorial Day Weekend a group of six and two dogs stayed at:
Bombard's Rustic Cabins
32 Brunswick Road,
Saranac Lake.
1-800-238-0208
They are very secluded and mix/matched rustic. They have outhouses w/ running water inside for dishes and cooking, small gas stove for cooking. They were cozy and perfectly cheap. 50 dollars a night for the six of us! There were some great trails nearby for walking the dogs as well.
ADKSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #30
murlev

The least expensive facility in the 'dacks to sleep (camping/hut) bar none.

$5 to camp

$9 dormatory

http://www.accmontreal.ca/keenefarm.html
murlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:11 PM   #31
Little Rickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Eagan
My wife and I stayed there two winters ago for two nights. Bed, TV, cramped but functional bathroom, not much else. Pretty clean, very worn. Not a place I would return to unless there were no other options, but it was better than the Jackrabbit across the street.

I've stayed at the Jackrabbit hostel 2x this last year, $20 a night, new clean bunk rooms, clean sheets & bath towel, soap, individual wrapped plastic cups, private individual waterclosets, big common kitchen, pots, pans, dishes& flatware, large dinning area. Common room furniture is all beat up, not very pretty. I have no idea what the motel rooms are like.

I'll go back again.

Someone came into my bunk room after lights out and snored real bad, like a 250lb man. When I saw my roommate in the morning it was an older woman that couldn't have weighed 100Lbs. I couldn't believe someone so small could be so loud.

Little Rickie
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:24 PM   #32
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Rickie
I couldn't believe someone so small could be so loud.

Little Rickie
Wait till you meet Saccos' bulldog "Winnie"
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:54 PM   #33
murlev

At http://www.accmontreal.ca/keenefarm.html we bathe in the Ausable (if at all), drink the "best" water ever tested by a certain university, have a bonfire at night, have great camaraderie and 103 acres. If there is a snorer in the hut one can always go sleep on the long balcony. Dishes, pots, cutlery are available for hut users.

Available are all the comforts of home except for electricity and running water!
murlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:18 AM   #34
dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog View Post
And Hotel Saranac . I'm with Willie, but from another side-as a customer. The staff-students just really make theirs best. About humans and about dogs. I still have this " Pet in the Room . PLEASE DO NOT ENTER " . But I remember, they charge some as $30 for a dog ? Anyway it's a good and friendly place .
It is sold -( . No students-staff any more -( .
Just wish ...
Old 03-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #35
13331Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog View Post
It is sold -( . No students-staff any more -( .
Just wish ...
I heard....
Paul Smiths is running the old Holiday Inn up on the hill in Lake Placid now.
They should have excellent food now.

Not cheap though....
Old 06-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #36
Dick
somewhere out there...

Jackrabbit Inn destroyed by fire

Posted on Adkhighpeaks:

http://www.pressrepublican.com/homep...yword=topstory

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 AM   #37
dmartenvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdad View Post
What places (hotels, inns, etc.) have people stayed in the High Peaks region that are decent but inexpensive (or at least reasonable)? And within an hour or so of Lake Placid (like in Schroon Lake, Long Lake, Keene, Keene Valley, etc.)? The Lake Placid rates get a bit painful...staying at a hostel sounds fun but when 4 people go (three kids and I) you may as well stay in a hotel...

Thanks,

The Adirondack Sports Shop (Wilmington, Rte 86) has a motel and restaurant, I heard them quoting a rate of $65 a night for lodging and 3 meals a day (http://adirondackflyfishing.com/). The Hungry Trout also looks fairly nice - motel type accomodations
(http://www.hungrytrout.com/ht_lodge_m.html) The Wilderness Inn also has cabins (http://www.lakeplacid.net/wildernessinn/), all very close to Lake Placid in Wilmington on Rte 86.
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #38
bklyn

This makes me really miss High Peaks Base Camp

Anybody know what's happened to the place? I drove by a couple of years ago, shortly after its owner passed away, but haven't checked it out since.
It was perfect while it was in operation; rooms, dorm beds, and campsites were cheap, and almost always available without a reservation, plus (most of the time) a functioning bar and restaurant. Everything you needed and nothing you didn't.
bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote